1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic put non playing staff on furlough

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic warrior, Apr 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic put non playing staff on furlough in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    it’s not really a case of me agreeing or not it’s the fact that they’re using a scheme to pay their staff when it was meant for businesses that couldn’t afford it but Celtic can so they should pay their own staff

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Players are staff.
    And it would be a * bigger outcry if we put players on furlough - from both the public and the players considering the drop in salary they would need to take from it.

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Over the course of the last month Celtic will have paid for example Scott brown £18,000 gross of that PAYE and NI will be around £9,500 of that Celtic will also have to make an employers contribution do that for 100 people in the first team that’s some amount of deductions all the club are doing is then using the furlough scheme that the govt have set up and our players PAYE will go into that anyway!

you are clearly seeing the short term ness of the system and to join a Celtic forum to comment on the furlough thread is quite silly tbh

4. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Because they can afford to and the scheme is built for clubs that can not afford to 5 months? If everyone took a pay cut there would be no bankruptcy and the club.could pay all their staff in this time of uncertainty

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    @honda totally agree 5 months and it’s gone everything built up over all these years gone. Level playing field in Scotland after that cuts to the playing staff and all over the group as a whole!

Westlondonscot and Peej like this.
  7. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    The scheme was originally for businesses who couldn’t afford to pay their staff a club paying their players millions while using a government scheme to pay their non playing staff..The club should work it out among themselves and leave the scheme for businesses that need it

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

"Celtic Football Club PLC are different from Coca Cola PLC because....emotions....and....feelings....and stuff"

Okay and do those emotions, feelings and stuff exempt Celtic from paying Corporation Tax? "Nope"

What about PAYE or NIC? "Nope"

VAT then surely? "Nope"

Well they must have a rate that's lower of these taxes than Coca Cola PLC then, you know to take into account those intangible differences? "Nope"

So to summarise we pay the same rate of VAT, PAYE, NIC and CT into the public purse that Coca Cola do but we aren't morally entitled to apply for the same Job Retention Scheme that will be funded by the historical and future collections of those?

Aye, you're making an * of it.

9. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    All the more reason that the players and the higher ups should work it out among themselves so the club can pay their non playing staff without using a government scheme built for businesses who couldn’t afford to pay their staff

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If a normal Joe Bloggs working in a run of the mill job in the middle of the city has been saving his wee * off the past 6 years and has £10k in the bank - saving it for a deposit on a new house, or a year long holiday when he retires - doesnt matter what it is for- shoudl Joe Bloggs refuse the Furlough scheme for the first 4-6 months?

* * no he shouldn't!

MJ9 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No it wasn’t designed for that it was for companies who would have to make redundancies to avoid the DWP and welfare system being over loaded like the NHS at a time of national crisis!

Peej likes this.
  12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Look up Furlough scheme. Do you even know how it works and how the wages are calculated?

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    But we are not using it for the players - which if we did we would get sl;ated for. And if we even tried the players would refuse, and walk out the door on breach of contract.

It would be * criminal in so many ways. Unfortunately the higher earners do come first in this sort of business, but we are doing everything else to save other jobs and retain staff while there is technically not * job for them.

Wee Suzie at the retail store does not have any work to do - without Furlough she would be out of a job as we couldn't afford to keep her - sure maybe for the first couple months, but as the guys have said, within 5 months EVERYONE WOULD BE OUT OF A JOB.

14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If furlough wasnt available Celtic would have made all staff redundant most clubs in Scottish football would have.

furlough is used as follows Dylan:

80% of the wage in the same week in the last year: for example week ending 12/4/19 wage will be used to calculate payment due this week.

wage of end of month April 2019 will be used to calculate 80% of this months wage.

Only based if you are on the same employee PAYE reference.

If you have changed job your wage will be 80% of your average monthly/weekly earnings from your “start date” of employment to the previous week.

furlough is for the avoidance of mass redundancy.

most companies are paying the bare 80% and not topping it up.

celtic to my knowledge are the only Scottish team topping up the wage to the full wages.

15. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'd hardly call it a PR disaster when you're the only one that has argued against it.

Spring Time and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  16. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Calm down mate you’re getting all mixed up making an * of it yourself , I dont care about emotions I never said anything about being morally entitled I said when they’re paying players millions of pounds they can clearly afford to pay the non paying staff my argument is that if you have millions to pay the footballers then pay your non playing staff and let the businesses who genuinely need the scheme take the government aid calm down mate don’t get so irate it’s a forum other people will disagree with you you don’t need to get tetchy about it

17. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Have a look there’s quite a few that have made that despicable decision to not agree with the mass opinion

18. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    I know how furlough works mate I’m saying they should all take a wage cut then Celtic could pay all their staff quite happily and leave the scheme for businesses who need it

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm extremely calm :celtman2: I'm sitting in the slippers and Hugh Hefner-esque housecoat.

It's yourself that's creating a storm in a teacup about furloughing.

Coca Cola will also have various employees on similar salaries to what our players receive. Another argument debunked.

You've failed to explain why we're any different.

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Totally agree, 5 months paying non playing staff costs millions when many will be doing nothing. Why should smaller clubs be kept afloat but us left to * the money earned over the years? Sorry but that's not fair. We'd have worked twice as hard to be no further ahead the other clubs.
    I imagine lots of clubs will want us to have money so we can buy players from them.

Peej and Blochairnbhoy like this.