1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic put non playing staff on furlough

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic warrior, Apr 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic put non playing staff on furlough in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hold on a minute we are topping up everyone’s wages from 80% to 100% that’s still a significant monthly cost for the club with zero income coming in most companies in the Uk with greater cash reserves in Celtic are paying the bare 80%

Sorry mate but that’s Bullshit the rules of the fsa and stock exchange not to mention league rules do stop him throwing money at the club they apply at all times.

he doesn’t own Celtic either he is a major shareholder does he have influence yes indeed he does but he doesn’t own Celtic.

your argument is fully flawed and I don’t know if that’s a lack of understanding of investment and UEFA rules but just putting you in picture

2. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Meaning only 20% of non players’ wages - thus not much at all for a wealthy man or club to cover. I’m pretty sure furloughing, under normal circumstances, would be considered unlawful/unfair government intervention in sport - something the football authorities are always desperate to avoid.

However I think you’re failing to appreciate these are truly astounding times, far from normal circumstances, thus usual rules whether FSA or otherwise are being circumnavigated or modified to suit. If the owner of any club decided to inject a lump sum to keep them going through this crisis you cannot convince me Sion, London and anyone or anywhere would lift a finger to stop them, regardless of their rules and procedures.

Anyway I hope all non playing staff at Celtic get 100% of their wages covered open ended and I would be more comfortable if those wages were covered by wealthy players and or owners, leaving the Gov scheme only for local businesses and the self employed.
    That’s all.

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Celtic have over 1000 staff of that 1000 less than 100 will be first team/football department staff.

so you have 900 staff on full pay or approx £17m per season or £1.4m per month celtic still need to cover that 20% shortfall so still a significant outlay with no income coming in.

you cannot breach UEFA rules for investment and ffp covid 19 or not!

4. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Even if we had to pay 4 mill a month we could afford that easily for many months! Last time I checked we had more than 30 million in the bank and since then have won a cup and been given advance payments of league broadcasting revenue.

We shall see but you’re basing everything on historical precedent this is a unique situation. Normal laws say any number of men can stand on any public footpath and engage in any legal activity, yet now police are moving folk along for just that. Until bout a month ago it was against UEFA rules to finish the domestic season after June, yet that’s exactly what’s going to happen. As for FFP it was already announced they’ve suspended it for two seasons due to the crisis. So yes, infact, you can breach UEFA rules in at least one way.

Again these are novel times; rules can, have and will change. This very thread is example of that. When has any government ever paid the wages of ordinary people en masse before?

5. TheHappyLoss

Love Celtic and am really missing the games now but I think the club is very wrong here.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The club contribute a lot of tax money though, why should we waste £1million+ over this if we don't need to.

We probably have 100 staff who work for us dailly year round chefs, waiters, security, shop workers, pools, ticket office, groundsmen etc who aren't able to work and might not be for who knows how long but probably going to be at least another 5 month.

Over the last 20 year Celtic running has probably contributed about £250million into HMRC, so whats the big deal about using them to save a £1millon.

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Again you are incorrect.

the cup money was included in the interim accounts all £280k of it, the tv money was approx £385k which would cover next to Jack *.

You can break stock exchange rules unless everyone agrees and as nobody has it still stands covid 19 or not.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It's taken us years to build up £30million in savings though, if this carry on delays next season until 2021 which is probably 50/50 then we'll be down to £5/10million of that left, every penny will be a prisoner then and we will have been set back 3 or 4 years to make that back up.

Celtic although rich are in a small League and have to fight tooth and nail to save and gather every penny we can. We never became rich because TV companies flung £100s of millions at us, we done it by buying and selling, qualifying for Europe and toughly negotiating every deal we could over years and decades which isn't easy.

Should EPL clubs be using it? probably not, they are gifted £100-150million per club just for showing up on a yeary basis, most as well don't even have the number of staff Celtic do since we run many of our own shops, have a busy ticket office, the pools and have numerous restaurants and tours in the stadium.

9. TheHappyLoss

Waste £1 million ? Poor choice of words mate. Just my opinion.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The easiest way to avoid companies claiming it when they didn't financially require it, was to make the furloughing an option but in doing so the government obtained the equivalent equity stake in each business.

A lot of businesses will go under so some money would be lost under the scheme but for the businesses that make it through at the other side and become profitable again, that stake could be sold on to recompense the public purse.

It would also mean profitable companies that didn't necessarily need the scheme, would potentially not take it up. In the current set-up it would be poor business from us not to furlough staff. The cost of furloughing will be offset through tax rises/budget cuts in the next X years, so we would be bearing the brunt of them, while having not gained from the scheme. Moralistically it's a nice idea but with no idea when we will start trading again, it would be pretty silly.

11. Tomas

Anyone who pays in to a system, is entitled to get the benefit offered by it. I can't understand some on here criticising the club. Would they want employees to be simply let go, as there's no work to be done right now? The furlough scheme is exactly what is needed, it allows people to keep their jobs and have continous employment. I can't honestly understand the perceived problem.
    Most businesses and lots of football clubs are using the scheme. I suspect that those who are not, simply don't qualify because they have a bigger problem, such as not being up to date with tax or vat returns, or maybe they just have more than enough money to survive without any help. Time will tell.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOLLOWING the serious misrepresentation of Celtic FC, The Herald newspaper today made the following apology to the Club.

“On our front page promotion for a column on Saturday, we stated 'Celtic cutting non-playing staff’s money shows how far football has lost its soul'.

"We are happy to clarify that Celtic have not cut any non-playing staff’s money. All staff on the Government’s job retention scheme are having their salaries paid in full by Celtic. We apologise to Celtic for our error."

Marie likes this.
  13. Cupid Stunt

I see Liverpool have reversed their decision to furlough their staff.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it to be fair.

I feel like there were viable alternatives and we were pretty quick to move on it.

14. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Have to do what's best for us

15. Cupid Stunt

Yeah and I obviously don't know what the people at the top have done, but I would have started with the highest earners taking a small cut and working down from there.

I would be interested to know how much we have freed up in terms of finances from using the scheme as well, like how much has it actually saved us?

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There is arguments for and against it,
    but to be honest, there are more financially well off companies (outside of football) that will be using furlough for their staff. As much as we can claim £40mill at the bank, we don't quite work as a company off that pool, it's an always moving thing, and with no knowledge of how long this could last, we can't just chew through it all.

StevieBhoooy! likes this.
  17. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Might not have saved us much, lots of people would probably have just lost their jobs.

It’s designed to retain people & let them come back to a viable business in many cases.

Peej likes this.
  18. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't agree with this at all, best way to do it would be for the club to pay non playing staff in full. But to cover the cost, cut player wages down to 50 percent. Celtic using furlough has they sneaky * Bankier and Lawell written all over it. You won't see they pair of snakes taking a huge pay cut to help out the little guy.

19. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Owners pump money into clubs all the time, look at Chelsea, Man City, PSG, what makes you think Desmond can't throw us a couple of million to ride out the storm it? UEFA honestly don't give a * about the rules when it comes to money.

20. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Last season Liverpool got £152m in prize money.
    Celtic got about £3m in prize money.

Tomas likes this.