1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic put non playing staff on furlough

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic warrior, Apr 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic put non playing staff on furlough in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye he's gone for the short back and sides this time.

ladbroke8 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  2. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Just wondering if employees would have a legal case if they were put on furlough and lost money (not at Celtic by the sounds of it) but other employees who were also not working for example the players at a football club were kept on their full salary. That must be discrimination surely. The players are basically employees in a non-essential industry who aren't working. Why should they be treated differently from other employees of the same company. There would however be an outcry if players were put on furlough and taxpayers ended up paying 80% of their salaries.

3. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

The players contracts will be totally different from the full time staff.

And the max you can claim us up to £2500 so the tax payers wouldnt be paying 80% of the players wages.

4. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I forgot about the limit. Clubs could save a * of a lot of money by furloughing their players. Don't know what their contracts would say but at the end of the day they will still be employees. Not going to happen I know but just another way rich spoiled footballers are treated differently from everyone else. And my original point still stands - if some employees are treated differently from others would there be a case for discrimination legally - I suppose only an employment lawyer could say.

5. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    * thing about football contracts is.....you get injured you get paid

I get injured I get 10 weeks pay then stat pay (90 quid a week or some *).

Load of balls

6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Most employers are topping up salaries.

however if people where made redundant then or at risk of it they are getting 80% better than £73.10 JSA

7. celtic warrior

Suppose you could argue me and you would be actual paye run of the mill employees whereas footballers are near enough contractors/self employed(ish)

On different contracts so sadly would be treated differently

8. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly. You dont hear of players being made redundant.

9. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Unusual times though. When was the last time you heard if anyone being furloughed.

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Over 1,000 people

[​IMG]

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That’s why when I say people in media say celtics first team wage bill is £55m that’s a lot of * that’s the full group!

12. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Tbf though the first team you’d imagine will be 90% of that 55 million figure.

Not sure how I feel about rich football clubs using furlough. One of the many ‘legally correct, morals that bankrupt’ things in modern life.
    I guess it’s the government fault for not being 100% clear with the furlough scheme. They should’ve said explicitly only small and medium sized businesses could use it.

Fully87 likes this.
  13. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Closer to 70%

14. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Friday. :50:

15. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

what about the big companies & the football teams that have not chosen to close they have been made to & could go bust as easy as a small company.
    The well run teams budgets will allow some leeway for small temporary unexpected occurrences.
    this is way beyond that, the incoming money this season might have finished, the outgoings haven’t.

Westlondonscot and JamesM09 like this.
  16. JamesM09

I completely respect this argument but I've been thinking about it a fair bit and I think football clubs are getting a bit of a raw deal in public opinion at the minute.

I only really think about Celtic to be fair so maybe others are clubs are rightly criticised, but I don't see how Celtic can avoid using the scheme. Although we have cash in the bank at the minute, it won't last long at all with no income coming in. We would have to dismiss as many staff as possible, at least temporarily. The purpose of the scheme is to prevent that so that's what it's being used for.

At best we could maybe pay staff for a couple of months and use our cash reserves, but then what do you do if the furlough scheme becomes unavailable? That certainly wouldn't help the staff or the taxpayer.

We also have no idea what will happen after this. Sponsorship could nosedive, we might not be able to sell season tickets.
    Again - ultimately we would have to sack staff if that happens and we've spent our cash, that doesn't help the taxpayer. There's many a year a football club like Celtic won't make any profit.

The Government want businesses like Celtic to use this scheme, come out of this healthy and pay a shitload of tax as the economy bounces back.

Slightly different point but in my opinion Celtic should be asking the players to take a wage cut to protect the club and help us to cover the 20% not covered by the furlough scheme for as long as possible. The aim of everyone should be the club comes out healthy so it can continue putting money in everyone's pockets and so everyone has a job during the inevitable recession.

17. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    We made 11 million pounds profit in 2019 and 17 million the year before. I think we’ll be just fine. Moreover our billionaire owner could pluck some pennies out his * to cover not only the entire club and all its workforce but also fund large swathes of the health services in both UK and Ireland too.

Furlough should not be for businesses like Celtic, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. They’re well within their rights to use it of course but does leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Every other club in Scotland could and should take advantage of it, and anyone south of Championship level in England.

I agree with that except I don’t feel clubs or players are getting a raw deal, I do think they’re scapegoats however. Definitely many richer people, such as Britain’s many royals and billionaires, should be sticking their hands in pockets as well as football.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You can’t just throw money at the team. He can’t just put money in without regulations

19. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    He wouldn’t be throwing it at the team, he would be paying emergency wages at a time of unprecedented crisis. With furlough we’re talking about non playing staff as players wouldn’t need any financial aid unless they’re so retarded they’ve squandered upwards of 5k a week...
    Normal rules don’t apply at a time like this, you really think the powers that be would stop an owner bailing out their team???

Hypothetical anyway as Desmond would never help like that.

20. JamesM09

I absolutely agree on richer folk and players.