1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Made his debut for us 20 years ago the morra, mental he's still only 36.

Rydo1888* and TheHappyLoss like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

'The Story Of' is a web series dedicated to small but special tales from Celtic’s illustrious history. Here, ex-first team coach Damien Duff hails the work rate of a former colleague.

SPEAKING after his departure from Paradise, Damien Duff described his time at Celtic as the best of his sporting life. One man who made his time in Glasgow so memorable is assistant manager John Kennedy – whose work-rate the Irishman could not praise enough.

After moving into coaching, Duff joked about the stresses of working a 9-5 job for the first time in his career, and said any player who moves from the pitch to the dugout will face the same rude awakening. When Duff made the jump to first team coach, he said Kennedy’s idea of ‘regular hours’ was even more demanding still.

“Let me tell you, working with John Kennedy, that man would stay at Lennoxtown until 8 or 9pm at night!” Duff told the Celtic View. “I might have said I was getting used to a 9-5 when I first started coaching, but when I moved up to the first-team, I was more from 8am right through until who knows when.

“But seriously, it was amazing, and it was great to work with all of these people at the club. I do like my sleep, though, so I’ve been enjoying catching up with it at home during this down-time. The players work hard, but they don’t have a clue. When I was a player, I didn’t have a clue just how much work that goes in behind the scenes.

“I imagine when the time comes, a lot of the boys will go into coaching themselves, and they’ll all get the shock of their lives whenever they do make the switch to coaching.”

Duff added: “Neil Lennon is the best gaffer in Scotland, and John Kennedy is the best assistant manager around – I’ve worked with many coaches in my life, but John is one of the best coaches in the world, without a doubt.

"It’s been amazing learning off him, and Stevie Woods as well, he’s well-respected all around the world and a world-class coach. Align that with the players. The players are the best group in the country, amazing characters, amazing talent.

“The gaffer has been around for most of the run, so has John. Nine is great. People outside of the club can put as many asterisks beside it as they want, but nine is nine and that’s not going to change. We deserved the league. The lads after Christmas were incredible, and left everyone behind.

“Nine is done, but knowing the manager, the staff, the players – nine is forgotten about now, and 10 is the holy grail. They’ll all be looking at that now. I’m celebrating nine with a wonderful and humble club, and now it’s on to 10.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just going to bump this, partly to give folk the fear and partly to say - this * better not get the managers job full time after Lennon leaves (whenever that may be)

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I doubt he will but I do expect there to be clubs willing to give him a managerial position

Peej likes this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He needs to go to a Hibs, Killie, Sheep or something before he even gets entertained for the Celtic job full time. Some speak highly of him, but for me he has been at the centre of too much turgid nonsense. He became AssMan to Lennon and I am not sure what he is actually offering at all here.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He has been a mainstay now during the last 3 manager's tenures, all of which have been blighted with leaky defence at times.

Under Deila he was made responsible for setting us up for set pieces with arguably our best CB for decades and with what many regard now as the best CB in the world at his disposal, we saw calamities against Legia, Maribor, Malmo etc.

Under the rat, I imagine his influence was more muted in part down to the rat's megalomania and the fact that Davies and Toure were behind the scenes.

Now under Lennon he has been promoted to assistant and we've seen a downturn in both performances and resulrs; and a total lack of identity.

What is his philosophy?
    How does he think the game should be played?
    What are his credentials that made him qualified to be assistant to such a huge club as ourselves with no prior experience?

When you hear him speak in interviews you don't come away with the impression that he is tactically astute or has his own ideas on how football should be played.

It's a shame how his career ended to that horror tackle while playing for Scotland but the club owes him nothing. We've looked after him from then until now and in my opinion that's to the detriment of our coaching.

His playing experience was minimal due to the injury, his assistant managerial experience is nil outwith us the last 12 months, if that is the best candidate we can find them we're in a bigger mess than we think.

If and when Lennon goes there should be a clear out of others also, it's became stale. We need fresh ideas.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Him turning down the Hibs job set alarm bells off for me.

Any coach worth their salt who’s got even a slither of ambition to become a manager and believes in themselves jumps at a job like that instead of having about as assistant.

If he had any confidence in himself going to be a good manager he’d have took that job to prove himself.

Spare me the ‘he wanted to stay for the 10’ spiel.

Peej and Sonic Reducer like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    My fear is that he has already been told he is seen as the next/future manager here and he is simply biding his time.

Valhalla likes this.
  13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    No chance he will be the next manager, as mentioned if Lenny goes then JK needs punted as well.

elbhoydo, Peej and Hammy89 like this.
  14. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Na I wouldn't fault him that, assistant at celtic is a good place to be especially since he is still so young for the position, he'll have saw what happened to cathro over at hearts and probably wants more behind him first before he goes to manger proper.

I don't want him to be the next manger at celtic but he has obviously be doing something right given what he's been a part of over the last so many years

littlekennie likes this.
  15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He wont be next manager but could well be in the future, every player & coach who has worked with him rave about how good he is.

Obviously being a manager is a whole different thing to being a coach though. Can understand him not taking the Hibs job, he would be expected to get results quick and a lot of pressure with it. Better start lower downz

16. wulliebad

If things go bad and lenny leaves or forced to leave i can see him taking over till end of season.Its the celtic way.

17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hope not, if Lenny does go, we need a strong minded no nonsense type manager, just to pull the group of players together.

18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    we were all under the impression that manager was Lenny.

I started this thread pished as a fart I think, * all sorts of * off with snarky comments lol

but the sentiment remains the same, I'm not sure what he's doing here. if he is being "groomed" for management then Lawell must be reading the sevco FC guide to nepotism".

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

For all the criticism he's been a constant in the clubs most successful period in the modern era.

NomDePlum and callumrae1967 like this.
  20. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If he was * Brendan Rodgers would of got rid he owed him nothing and tried taking him to Leicester, also everyone says that he's good at his job, think the issue is he hardly looks the most inspiring chap looks pretty dull actually.