1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic put non playing staff on furlough

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic warrior, Apr 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic put non playing staff on furlough in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

Just seen it on the Sky Sports website.

Have we taken the first steps in regards to player wages first before taking such action?

At the end of the day let's ve real here, we are in lockdown for an indefinite period, staff around a football club aren't key workers at all so it's crazy to think any business regardless of their stature would continue to operate as if staff are coming into the "office" doing their usual shift.

However, as football has the tag of being a cash rich industry with players getting thousands upon thousands per week individually surely something can be done whereby players also are expected to take a comparable hit to their salary to help the situation?

Even something unique whereby players take a % hit on their wage and then government and clubs do a 60/40 split of covering non playing staff salaries during furlough??

I dunno? Thoughts?

Edit: 60 club 40 government btw

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Perfectly entitled to use furlough.

club confirmed they will pay the additional 20% to make sure everyone is getting full pay.

club should be applauded for the top up as lots of business will pay the 80% and that’s it.

also £175,000 donated to the poor and needy.

players will ultimately take a wage deferral imo. If PSG, Barca and Juventus need to do it and others will follow it’s inevitable

3. StevieBhoooy!

I’d like to hear that the players are taking a pay hit sooner rather than later... tbh. I think we should be hearing about players wage restrictions before news about other staff.

A small % cut in player wages would probably more than cover the total wages of all other staff - Lennon , Lawwell and a few others aside.... who should all be taking the same cuts as players.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Bigger and more financially strong businesses are using it.

No member of staff will lose a penny and because we pay our taxes and always have we are entitled to use the scheme as the workers have no work currently. That’s EXACTLY why the scheme exists.

The media will spin it undoubtedly, however, that isn’t our problem. They should be commenting on what really matters right now.

5. celtic warrior

It's interesting, because I can see the gambling industry booming again during this short period, can't imagine they would get the same spin and outrage as football clubs will for putting staff on furlough whilst the big wigs earn a mint due to company bonuses etc...

6. horseshoe

I think some of our players will effectively be taking a paycut already, I could be wrong but I'd guess a lot of our bigger earners are bumped up over the normal wage structure with hefty appearance/win/goal bonuses that they're obviously not getting now. I remember plenty of people speculated sinclair wasn't getting games before he left partly because of the size of his bonuses going up in the final year of his contract.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Non playing staff keep this club running and need to be looked after.

I don’t like how players all over the world are still taking full pay. But that’s the way the world is.

Fully87 likes this.
  8. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Perfectly sensible and legitimate move from the club. Topping up the extra 20% is actually quite generous. Full pay for not working is better than most other employees are getting just now.

Fully87, Artorias, Rydo1888* and 2 others like this.
  9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We have seen the spin Paul headline other night

“celtic money worries”

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    All staff will be getting a full wage covered. Good..

charlietully likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

They are, they’re earning not a single penny less than they would be otherwise...

12. celtic warrior

Players don't have any work to do, they aren't exactly on furlough.

I can see where resentment might begin to stem towards football in general if not every club enforces wage cuts on players.

The fact that celtic are topping up to ensure non playing staff aren't losing out is great, but if being cynical they are in position to do so that alot of companies normally wouldn't be in. 20% per head for say (random number here) 250 living wage staff is £242k overall cost after 3 months of a lockdown to this level current level.

Whereas what, our players wage bill still likely around £55mill so without cuts your still looking at £13mill being paid out to players in the same period.

Huge difference there and whilst it is great non playing staff are getting a full salary, I wouldn't say what the board etc.. Decided in terms of 20% top up should be lapped up as some generous well thought, well meaning gift. It is without question, given the financial strength of the club, is what they should be doing regardless.

The people who run the club at the top end are also the ones that went against initial pressure on the first place to become a living wage employer.

Apologies btw, I'm clearly in a super * moody mood clearly.

Fully87 and seamus1967 like this.
  13. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Our £55m wage bill includes every member of staff within the group/club.

from lawwell to lenny to broony to Michelle in ticket office to the tea lady

our wage bill is also a bit lighter than it wS previously.

celtic warrior likes this.
  14. celtic warrior

Ach that's true.

£13mill likely becomes £9mill then if I'm being super generous.

I'm just being a * really, at the end of the day, those who need a full salary most that are employed by the club, are in fact still getting one which is good.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  15. Onefootwonder

I'm not happy with this.

Yes the employees won't be left short of wages, but companies who can afford to cover costs shouldn't require aid from the government.

It gets even more distasteful with the mega bucks EPL teams. The massive earners need to lose a small percentage of their wages to pay for normal staff. The cost shouldn't be put back on all tax payers.

16. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Good move from Celtic and at least some reassurance for the lowest paid employees. I think it's only a matter of time before all the players agree to wage cuts also. Failure to do so will only cause resentment and anger with many fans. I know the wages to players will in general terms be less due to no bonus's being paid but even on a basic wage most will be earning far more in say a month than we can in a year.

The longer this crisis goes on the more difficult it's going to be for many to renew or even take on ST's.

Random Review, seamus1967 and Taz like this.
  17. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    My own work are using Furlough, and whilst I am personally still at work due to the importance of it, I fully agree with the stance the company has taken.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Great stuff from the club, protecting people's jobs.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You’re preaching to the converted.

20. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Peter Lawwell taking a cut?

KRS-1888 and Gyp Rosetti like this.