1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Half Life Alyx

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Bonobhoy, Mar 24, 2020.

Discuss Half Life Alyx in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bonobhoy

Unbelieveable,and im only an hour into it.

Words can barely describe what this feels like in VR.

Astounding attention to detail for a VR game,scary and intense.

Glad i upgraded everything for this.

And since stuck in house due to Coronavirus,i got proper time to play it.

Most reviews already giving it 10/10

2. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

This is undoubtedly the future of gaming. You just don't appreciate it until you've tried it.

A huge step forward for VR. I've only played a couple of hours but compared to a standard game this is amazing. The sense of scale and realism is brilliant.

3. Bonobhoy

Yeah im about 6 hrs into it,its unreal. Dont even know if i wanna play normal 2D pancake games ever again after this.

This is the future right here man.

What you playing it on? Valve Index?

4. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, I could only dream of affording an Index.

Quest Link. It's actually pretty good - having the ability to go portable if you want to makes it a no brainer over the Rift S, even if it's not quite as impressive. I've always wondered why Oculus did that - kind of killed the Rift.

5. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was going to splash a grand on one of those Valve Indexs just to play this, have a really good gaming pc that I upgrade regularly so could play this at max settings no problem, not guaranteed a wage right now though due to the Virus, so can't justify a huge luxury like VR at the moment.

6. Bonobhoy

If you could afford it go for it,the Index is unreal. Im honestly struggling to play games on desktop anymore,the odd game of Warzone and RDR2/GTA5,thats about it.

Most my games are in VR now. I can talk up Alyx anymore than i can at the moment,im 9 hrs in and it gets better every scene. The Graphics are unreal and the gameplay is amazing.

Horror Games in VR are scary as *,i sometimes cant even play them im * myself so much,The Exorcist VR is the prime example here.

Mostly Play racing sims,Project cars/Assetto/Dirt/LFS/Iracing.....my next purchase is a moving motion rig,expensive but ive been saving up more recently.....and with whats going on in the world nowadays , im getting the " enjoy life as much as you can" moments now so im treating myself and family a lot more.

7. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    VR is definitley the way forward now and i will hopefully get the Valve Index in by the end of the summer, the new consoles are out aswell this year, so gonnae be spending ridiculous amounts of money on gaming this year. Getting my Half Life fix right now from Black Mesa which is fan made remake of the original. With the success of Half Life Alyx, more studios will be developing full on AAA type experiences in VR, Really reckon Half Life 3 will be a VR game now.

8. Bonobhoy

9. Sparda

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    I still prefer pancake games to be honest BUT it's proven at this point VR is more than a gimmick. VR is the definitive way to play horror games and simulators, all other forms are inferior. That's just the truth. I have the PT demo on VR and my * it's * terrifying.
    There are a lot more haptic feedback devices for VR that look cool as * unfortunately it's a huge money sink. You have revolvers, suits and even claw grip like gloves (that allow you to hold objects) with temperature feedback. VR is definitely the future, even mundane things like browsing my desktop and watching movies are a million times better in VR because I can change the size of the screen on the fly and it feels like I am in the cinema watching it.
    I think you've got the right attitude of treating yourself and your family.
    I've got both, they each have their advantages but the Rift S is superior IMO. Not even because of graphical fidelity and connection problems with the quest link, the Rift Quest actually looks pretty good. It's mainly due to how how uncomfortable the quest is.
    Rift S is one of the most comfortable headsets I've used, I cannot use the quest for any lengthy period of time because it's too front heavy and I don't like the feel of moving my head after 20 minutes. I mainly bought it for work purposes, I still think wireless VR is probably the future but they have some glaring problems to sort out before it is the defacto standard.
    The index is superior to both (I don't own it but have used it), but obviously pricey. All of them are great anyway.

Bonobhoy likes this.