1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shunsuke Nakamura - appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by PaddyBhoy, Jun 25, 2015.

Discuss Shunsuke Nakamura - appreciation thread in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Dont ask me why as i really don't know but for some reason I never appreciated him..

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Story Of' is a web series dedicated to small but special tales from Celtic’s illustrious history. Today, we look back at Shunsuke Nakamura's perfect set-piece goal...

Shunsuke Nakamura gave Celtic fans memories to last a lifetime during his four years at Celtic, and one in particular made for a historic night at Paradise as the Man from Japan helped sink the Red Devils.

The Japanese internationalist signed for Celtic in July 2005 but had to wait until his second season for his first taste of European football in the Hoops. Celtic gained automatic entry into the Champions League for the 2006/07 season after winning the league title during Nakamura’s inaugural campaign with Celtic.

A 28-year-old Nakamura returned from the World Cup in Germany that summer ready to make significant strides forward with his club after a promising first season at Paradise, and he did exactly that. Having fully adapted to Scottish football, Nakamura went on to a have sensational season.

Celtic were drawn into Group F for the UEFA Champions League that year alongside FC Copenhagen, Benfica and Manchester United.

Matchday 1 saw Gordon Strachan’s side travel south to the Theatre of Dreams to take on Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United. It was Nakamura’s first European game for Celtic and the midfielder scored a wonderful free-kick from 25 yards. However, it wasn’t enough to salvage any points from the game as United ran out 3-2 winners.

Celtic were on six points by the time the return leg rolled around on Matchday 5. The visitors looked confident from start but Gordon Strachan’s side limited their chances in front of goal. Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney threatened with goal scoring chances in the first period and the Portuguese midfielder came close in the 77th minute.

With 10 minutes remaining Celtic won a free-kick, and there was only ever one man who was going to take it. The set-piece was some 30 yards from goal, a goal in which Edwin van der Sar, one of the world's best goalkeepers, stood.

There was nothing the brilliant Dutchman could do to stop Nakamura’s world class set piece, though. The Japanese midfielder bent a left-footed curler into the top corner, inches out of reach of the outstretched arms of Van der Sar. It was, and will forever be remembered as, one of the greatest free-kicks anyone has ever seen.

Artur Boruc saved a Louis Saha penalty late on in the game to protect Celtic’s lead and ensure Nakamura’s free-kick would be remembered as the goal that put Celtic through to the last 16 of the Champions League for the first time.

Reflecting on the goal after the game, Nakamura summed it up as the most important of his career.

"I was very pleased to score, and it was nice it was at Celtic Park,” said Nakamura. “But I also made a lot of mistakes and I have to think about that, too.

“The best thing is that we're through to the last 16 because I know this is something the club has not done before. It was probably the most important goal of my career because it was such a big game."

4. celtic warrior

Bring him home.

5. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
  6. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Cunning Shunsuke Nakamura pretended he couldn't speak English as a ruse to avoid having to speak to the Scottish press, according to former Celtic teammate Mark Wilson.

The Japanese midfielder enjoyed a trophy-laden four-year spell in Paradise after Gordon Strachan stumped up £2.5m to prise him from Serie A side Reggina.

He became an idol on account of his graceful passing and astonishing free-kicks, most memorably curling a 30-yard effort into the postage stamp against Manchester United in the Champions League.

And Wilson reckons Nakamura was happy to let his wand of a left foot do the talking rather than deal with the rigmarole of press duties and let it mistakenly become known that he struggled with English.

He told the Fitba Daft podcast : “He was my top player I’ve played with. He was frightening - unreal.

“What a guy as well. Kidded on he couldn’t speak English so he didn’t need to do any Press, which I thought was brilliant.

Even kidded on to most of his teammates that he couldn’t speak English - the ones he didn’t want to speak English to.

But (he was) great; very quiet.

His wee interpreter was brilliant, his name was Maka – so you had Naka and Maka, which was great.

And every day after training, he used to fire his wee interpreter in goals and hit free kicks into him. It was brilliant. Every day, it was brilliant.

“The wee guy would stand with the oversized Celtic jacket on, over his knuckles, and he’d stand in goal and try and save these free kicks that (Edwin) Van Der Sar and guys couldn’t save, and he’s diving about in the goal in the p*****g rain. It was brilliant.

We used to all look out the window, looking at him, saying ‘that guy’s not getting paid enough for this’.

“It was class. What a player he was, he was awesome.”

8. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Mad the guys still playing

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

My old man was on holiday and couldn't make this game so he gave his ticket to our next door neighbour, a great great guy who took my ticket when I couldn't make games too. As a thank you he got me the Black Magic top that year. He would come to our gaff for away games too and we had a good drink and sing song.

Anyway, one of the best nights ever at Paradise and shared it with a top man. Sadly, he passed away a couple of years back after a cancer battle, in his 40s. Every time I see this goal I think of Ian, he * loved that night :shamrock:

11. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Perhaps my favourite goal of all time,certainly my favourite Free Kick of all time:ynwacelti

Whoflungdung and Marty McFly like this.
  12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    So, the idea about him being unable to understand English was totally false? Hahaha, the Sorcerer is even more of a legend!

13. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Naka... a true Celtic legend

cidermaster likes this.
  14. horseshoe

Yep, a few players have said over the years he at least had a basic grasp of english, but he was still a relatively shy/private guy and kept up the appearance to bump talking to the media.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    In his prime the best free kick taker in the world. Bold statement but there were none better.

17. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    One of my favourite Celtic players, ever.

Attitude, work rate, ability, likeability. He had everything.

The_Bhoy and bagforlife like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Especially against Rangers, I always remember just wanting him to get on the ball as I knew something could happen. Seemed to always get a good pass/cross or a decent shot on target.

Legend.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    When you see the popularity he brought to merch sales from the east and his performances in hops was well worth the 2.5 million we paid for him masterclass signing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk