1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

What’s happening mate?

2. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    seemingly a meeting on Monday about what to do about the leagues

JC Anton likes this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I knew UEFA were meeting on Tuesday..

Didn’t they would be making a decision on Mon about the leagues as it’s such an evolving situation.

4. auldbertie

Fav Celtic Player:
    bobby lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic your favourites in green .... present day.. let the people sing
    Last time a league finished early was 1999 because of the war in Yugoslavia. They had played 24 of 34 scheduled games .
    Partisan Belgrade were 2 points clear with 10 to play .
    And here's the precident , UEFA awarded the championship to partisan

Dalbeth3 and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I don't care when they do it as long as they don't try to null and void it :56:

JC Anton likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Story in the sun (I know) that Boris wanted the leagues finished asap

7. Champions0607

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Apparently null and void is NEVER an option.

Financially this can't happen.

Sponsorships won't pay as season wasn't finished, TV companies will want refunds as season wasn't finished, season ticket holders will want money back, no prize money could be given out and also, there would be no way to decide who plays in what european competitions next season. The season will be complete some way or another and is looking likely to end as it stands.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  8. CFC.1

Only option is to end it as it is. But they should also take these few months out to seriously look at revamping the leagues. Getting the split to * and turning it into 16/18 team league.

9. jambo_cfc

Rumours that because in 1999 uefa handed partizan belgrade the league title after a war with only 8 games left they will follow the same action again and advise current standings are final, tuesday seems to be the day mentioned , also seing liverpool will be awarded theres on thursday! Financially it will allow football federations time to find sponcerships . Also scottish cup will maybe have to be played before july 31st

The Prof likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC'S insistence they should be crowned champions if the Scottish season ends now can be backed up by the only time in recent history UEFA intervened in a European league season that wasn't completed.

And current Legia Warsaw manager Aleksandar Vukovic can claim to be one of the very few to have past and present experience of such a scenario.

The Scottish football season looks set to be declared over because of the deadly coronavirus with it now looking highly unlikely there will be any more football for many months.

Decisions will need to be taken among Scottish football chiefs, who could ask European football's governing body for guidance, about champions, promotion and relegations from the four major leagues.

Hoops boss Neil Lennon has insisted Celtic should be declared nine-in-a-row champions after stretching 13 points clear of Rangers at the top.

And the last time UEFA acted when a league was suspended indefinitely, they declared the winners to be the team who were top of the league at the time.

In 1999, the First League of Yugoslavia was halted after 24 games into a 34-game season because of NATO bombing of the country.

Partizan Belgrade were just two points clear of second placed Obilic, but when football was given the all-clear to resume later that year, UEFA and the Yugoslavian Football authorities declared Partizan the 1998/999 winners - their 16th domestic title.

They also rubbed salt into Obilic's wounds by excluding them from European competitions because the club owner, Arkan, was charged with war crimes.

Polish football is currently going through a similar scenario to Scottish football.

The Ekstraklasa is regarded as one of the leagues most similar to the Premiership because they split their top league into two sections after 30 games and play seven games after the split.

Legia are eight points clear at the top but, like Celtic, face an anxious wait to find out what will happen to the season and possible title

Their manager Vukovic also played for Partizan Belgrade in 1999 when their season was interrupted.

And he said: "I'm probably one of the very few people in the world who has experienced an interruption of the season and is experiencing it now.

"In April 1999, NATO raided what is now Serbia so all football was stopped.

"We couldn't finish the season but it wasn't annulled. It was declared that we won the championship that season.

"And we had actually played fewer games back then in that season than we have now.

"It's not as if we have played two games this season or something. Most of the football has been played.

"I don't know whether we will be back in April or December, I'm not a clairvoyant.

"The only thing I know and I also tell this to my players, is not to underestimate the enemy we are currently fighting."

11. Martybhoy53

Hun on swallow swallow thinks as we have millions in the bank we should be helping all the Scottish clubs. Wonder if the mutant thought about that when Gretna were dissolved during the Huns cheating years.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I hope they try and find a way of completing the fixtures, don’t want to win it this way..

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

16 or 18 team league is unappealing for fans both in Scotland and further afield.

Going on the top 6 in the Championship as it is just now, that would be Dundee United, Inverness, Dundee, Ayr United, Dunfermline and Arbroath.

There's just no chance clubs and Sky Sports would agree to 2 Glasgow Derbies a season to incorporate those teams.

McChiellini.. and The Prof like this.
  14. auldbertie

Fav Celtic Player:
    bobby lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    What I don't understand is , why have the English stated a date of 4th of April , and here they're saying until further notice . Surely if after 3 weeks off and as long as no players are showing symptoms . The games could be played at least behind closed doors . With euro 20 / 20 off season could be over by mid June

King of Kings and JC Anton like this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't want us to win/be awarded it just now. I'm hoping we can get it played over the next couple of month's..

Aye we don't need a bigger league. Inverness and Accies on a Friday night would bore anyone to tears..

What we really need from a financial and spectacle point of view is the Dundee derby back up. The Edinburgh derby to stay. Any side that can't fill even half of their home stand to go down. Accies, Livi etc and be replaced by side's like Dundee and Dunfermline..

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    The players dont wanna play behind closed doors. Fraser Wishart was on radio about it

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Still not seeing it.

The players opinions on not wanting to play in a closed doors game, is quite frankly irrelevant. Most would also rather play in the Nou Camp on a Friday night than Hamilton.

The emergency services, as far as football is concerned, are the police. Until you can arrest the coronavirus they’re not gonna be much use to anyone.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  18. TheHappyLoss

Fraser Wishart the thinking Huns Hun

Britwell bhoy and littlekennie like this.
  19. auldbertie

Fav Celtic Player:
    bobby lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I understand that mate , but closed doors is better than not seeing out the fixtures at all .

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The player's will do what they're told..

They won't have a say..

Britwell bhoy likes this.