1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Cancel the euros till next year and finish the season in June. I don’t want any title by default even if we’re going to win it anyway, should be played till the end.

3. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Grass roots like the Highland league ? HFL clubs are SFA members so are actually not seen as grass roots clubs and come under SFA membership so postponement applies to them ( as SFA member clubs ) and presumably Lowland league as well.....

4. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

My wife's a health visitor and she is totally dreading December as there will be a huge baby boom as every * will just be * stuck in the house with * all else to do!

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic "should be champions" if the Scottish Premiership season cannot be completed, says manager Neil Lennon.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster confirmed on Friday said it was "neither realistic nor possible" to continue amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Lennon - whose side are 13 points clear at the top of the league - described the situation as a "nightmare".

"If it was to stop now I would doubt very much that they would say it was null and void," he added.

"It could be death by a thousand cuts. We have played over 30 games, that's well over two thirds of the season so we should be declared champions.

Certainly, if you are talking about the Armageddon of the league being cancelled or stopped, it should go on the average points total which would make us clear champions and rightly so.

"We are over 30 games in to the season, they are not going to take that away from us."

With Sunday's Old Firm game cancelled, the Celtic squad have been given a few days off.

While none have shown any symptoms of the illness, Lennon stressed that the threat to people's health was more important than football matches being played.

"Hopefully have a bit more information come Monday and get the players back in Tuesday to try to get them training again and into some sort of rhythm but we don't know how to gauge it," he added.

"The gym is here for the players to use if they want and then we will try to get to business as usual. We were praying for the game and looking forward to it. We understand but we are bitterly disappointed."

Before the season was postponed, Celtic captain Scott Brown said the season should finish "as it is" if it had to end prematurely.

Celtic were on course for a ninth league title and chasing a fourth domestic treble in a row, having already won the League Cup and with a Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen scheduled for 11 April.

"If it ends, it stays as it is. But the main thing is everyone is okay, they're all safe," said Brown.

6. StevieBhoooy!

Just a ‘current’ and topical example to compare to in terms of insurance...
    Something I take seriously.. nothing to do with media intake. Insurance isn’t paid so that other sources can then cover (post event) those who choose not to cover themselves.

It applies to businesses and individuals.

.. but yes... there’s one particular club I’d love to see suffer beyond any other.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Nah was meaning kids football. Feel like there's no need just yet to cancel any of that.

Jo-Jo-Buffon and Whoflungdung like this.
  8. StevieBhoooy!

Hopefully once clubs themselves can be ‘cleared of risk then this might happen.

How long until then though ?

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    There is a case for it, especially considering our League isn't an equal League. Hardly anyone in the League has the same fixtures as each other, so where as most Leagues everyone plays the exact same games up here probably only 3 teams at most play equal matches so what really is the difference between 30 unequal games and 38.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To me it looks like they want a controlled spread. Think their main focus is on making sure the NHS is not overwhelmed, which would see the mortality rate shoot up significantly as in northern Italy. They're not trying to stop the spread anymore. That battle has been lost.

When they say that these events are relatively safe, I honestly think they're thinking in terms of them not causing a significant spike in cases. They are talking rather coldly about "flattening the curve". So that doesn't necessarily mean attending events deemed "safe" is safe in the sense that it won't give you a slightly higher probability of you getting it and infecting sick or elderly loved ones.

I reckon you'll see that if/when the NHS gets close to breaking point, they'll lock everything down to minimise transmission, including events currently being deemed "safe".

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    With regards to the virus not surviving outdoors, surely it doesn't make much of a difference if you catch it from another person, indoors or outdoors? It takes seconds for droplets from sneezing to be passed between people.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's kind of a political view you are taking there, though. Anyway, although your way of framing these issues is remarkably similar to the MSM, I accept your answer that you arrived at it independently.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Starting again with a game v The Huns, will be an absolute lottery now..

With all players lacking match sharpness.

Random Review likes this.
  14. strike twice

This outbreak of Coronavirus could last for months and months . So it would be better that fixtures were completed behind closed doors , than just throwing away the whole season as a non event . The top priorities must be the overall health of the populace . I hope things improve sooner rather than later , small companies/shops/part time football clubs could all go under if they have to totally shut down for a prolonged spell .

Whoflungdung likes this.
  15. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Some f/t clubs will take a large hit and may go under...one in particular

Fully87 likes this.
  16. horseshoe

It does throw form out the window to an extent, but I'd trust our guys to keep their fitness better than theirs at least, we came out of the winter break bursting with energy, they've been raging at the state of their squad since then.

seanm likes this.
  17. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    All football , my wee boys team 2011's(classed as Grassroots)games been suspended weve been asked on training it's up to us but advised to cancel that aswell

18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ive accepted that from what's been said by NS and the experts too. Fair enough.

What baffles me a wee bit is, do we have different experts than the rest of the world? Read a couple of opinions peaces on i and the Independent where there are other experts who disagree with the CMO.

As an aside, he looked like a proper weirdo anyway. Thought his head was gonna open up at that press thing a la Men In Black and a wee alien * start laughing at us all.

19. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Thats it in the Highlands now.......An Inverness Caledonian Thistle first-team player is currently in self-isolation after showing some of the symptoms associated with coronavirus.

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I can’t see leagues being ‘null and void’ and I can’t see leagues being awarded on the basis of current standings. Both options open up a huge number of legal challenges from clubs that lost out.

I’m still unsure why football couldn’t have continued on a behind closed doors basis.

Tim-Time 1888 and Seán Mac D like this.