1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Christopher Jullien

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jun 28, 2019.

Discuss Christopher Jullien in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Only hing gets banged now is the QWERTY on my iPhone on here :56:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Sonic Reducer likes this.
  2. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Wouldnt be playing for us if he didnt have nights like last night. Hes not perfect but for the most part hes exceptional. Just to have run with it when the weakness is mentally. Little you can change about it at this stage of his career

3. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We need a big * of a defender to play beside him, someone like bobo who will put the ball and the striker in row z if need be.

Foley1888 likes this.
  4. Foley1888

If we don’t lose Eddy this has to be the priority for the summer. Doesn’t need to be the super playing out from the back defender but someone big strong and dominant against physical strikers, good in the air in both boxes and does the basics of defending well.

5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Regardless of Eddy going or staying, need to get in a solid recognized center half, right now, CJ is being partnered by converted midfielders. Lets spend 7M again.

neilly1987 likes this.
  6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Dunno, dude. That drum of yours seems to have been getting banged for a good while now. :37:

7. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Nobody will admit it cause he snaked us, but most of the time this was Boyata.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No sure I agree with that mate and I rated Boyata..

Boyata was part of one of the most dreadful defensive displays with Jozo at Tynecastle in the 4 nil..

Miller had him ruined and subbed in the cup semi by half hour..

Kent turned him inside out last year with 10 men so much that he done his hammy..

He could be excellent and dominant but other time's he could look very weak and bullied in the challenge and another thing he did was let the ball bounce a lot. Most obvious one that springs to mind is Bayern at Celtic Park he completely * us letting it bounce..

His passing was also very very ropey..

I liked him and he had a spell where you felt he'd score evrry week and could be very good but he had many many a bombscare moment..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Tbf that also sums up Jullien this season.:giggle1:

I thought at the start of the season that Jullien wouldn’t be much better than Boyata at his best. And I still think it’s not far off.

Jullien is more consistent and has nowhere near the same amount of ropey moments, but he still has those “*” moments in him, whether that be against the likes of Dykes or the strikers at Hamilton and St Mirren, or some of his passing.

Thankfully he’s chipped in with a number of massive goals in big games.

neilly1987 likes this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Got to disagree there. He was a massive part of why we beat Serie A contenders Lazio, both in his goal and clearances, blocks etc in both game

He was also colossal in the 2-0 game at Ibrox and in the League Cup Final, not only getting the winner but dealing with all the balls they threw into the box.

To me Boyata never played to that level in such high profile games. He had a period where he was commanding in the air but as @McGuire said, even in that period he still had some ropey passing.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Oh aye he’s had a great season and a few monumental performances. But over the course of the season as a whole, I don’t think I’m far off with that comparison at all.

Like I said, Jullien is better and more consistent. He tends to be at his best in the big games and has had real sloppy/poor performances against a few of the weaker teams. I suppose Boyata was maybe the opposite in that aspect.

But there’s similarities. Both great in the air in both boxes, both strong and physical, both good defenders when they are on their game. But both guilty of lapses of concentration and some really suspect passing - albeit Jullien is also capable of the odd Hollywood ping.

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Jullien being compared to that complete * bombscare, nope I’m out! :giggle1:

13. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Canny multi quote, but there was a spell when Boyata looked fairly dominant defensively. He was strong and quick and decent in the tackle for the most part, but canny disagree with @McGuire examples of times he got ruined. Passing was always ropey and gave me the fear, him playing out from the back with full backs pushed on probably created more problems for us than it done good.
    Always felt he would have done better in a team down South or on the continent where they were under the cosh a bit more and all he had to do was defend.
    For me, CJ is an upgrade and a lot more cultured. Prone to the odd mare and getting rattled, but let's be honest, he would be playing elsewhere if he wasn't. Apart from his obvious defensive qualities, I think his passing is quite underrated, good range with both feet which helps get us on the attack. He's been a massive plus for us this season for me.

McChiellini.. and Whoflungdung like this.
  14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Add to the fact the rat * chucked it numerous times against the huns, I will never forget him trying a Cruyff turn at Hampden nearly causing a goal then wanting subbed aff.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think you're miles off on an individual performance basis (Julien's ceiling in a Celtic shirt is already far higher than what we seen off Boyata) and over the course of a season. Julien has been one of our best performers, in a new team, with a defence ravaged by injury and playing alongside different CB partners, different RBs, different LBs and in different formations. Boyata had far more continuity in terms of playing partners but still regularly made gaffes.

Julien has been poor in the 2 Livingston games and in a few other games but not to the level of Boyata.

His performance in the 3-2 victory at Ibrox in 2018 was one of the single worst performances of a CB I have ever seen from a Celtic player. Inexplicably trying to nutmeg an opponent while the last man, forfeiting the ball and a goal, bullied at the near post as we concede another, then fresh air swiping a ball under no pressure that gifted another 1 v 1 with the keeper.

Julien has made individual errors like committing himself to take the ball v Dykes on Wednesday when it was unnecessary but he has never put in such an incompetent performance as that. He is a better footballer and a far better CB, mental to suggest otherwise.

stubhoy07, neilly1987 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I’ve already said Jullien is a better player.

We all know Boyata had big mistakes in him but the way he left has turned him into a worse player than he actually is in reality, I think.

When Boyata returned to the team after the AEK *, he was arguably our most consistent player for a few months and got in the TOTY. Plays fairly regularly for a top Belgium side and starts every game in the Bundesliga - albeit for a pretty average team.

My point is Jullien is better, aye, but both of them at their very best? The gap is nowhere near as big as people are saying.

neilly1987, MacEwan and Whoflungdung like this.
  17. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Julien is a very smart defender who is an aerial threat that we have sorely missed in a long time from set pieces..

Think my only problem, like everyone elses, is that he can get bullied by the rough and tumble strikers.
    He cant have it all but this is the main thing he needs to work on..
    Really puts him off his game if he gets a bit roughed up.

neilly1987 and Whoflungdung like this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Well for me Julien was at his best in the 2 ties v Lazio.

What would you regard as Boyata's best?

19. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Scott McKenna :fear:

20. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them