1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Free(hopefully) lesson...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by BathBhoy, Mar 5, 2020.

Discuss Another Free(hopefully) lesson... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    ...but will we learn from it? Cluj was an expensive lesson, we seemed to learn from it when we met them again at Celtic Park only to repeat the errors against Copenhagen.
    The Huns ripped us apart in the cup final, but we got away with it. Then played exactly the same way in the league game. Got ripped apart again and loat 3 points.

Subsequent events means we've also got away with it.
    Then last night two points dropped could have been an issue but we actually extended our lead so again we got away with it. But we need to start learning because we won't always get away with it.
    So what should we learn from last night.
    1) A lot of our players are tired, we have a big enough squad so we need to use it. I don't expect a £3.5m striker to replace a £10m striker, but he could let him have an evening off.
    2) Why when we have 4 strikers are we trying to convert a very good winger into a striker. Griff should have been on from the start.
    3) Taylor seems to be struggling a bit. I'm not saying bin him, but give him a rest. Both Hayes and Boli are fine in a 3 5 2.
    4) Subs can be brought on at anytime you don't have to wait until the last few minutes. Last night it was obvious we weren't getting much joy through the middle. Changes should have been made at half time.

FranceCelt and callumrae1967 like this.
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We didn’t get “ripped apart” on the 29th Dec, they just took their chances and we didn’t. The cup final was poor, but we did enough to win so it’s not worth worrying about.

The Cluj game started to turn when Broony hand balled in the box. The Copenhagen game turned because of Simunovic’s woeful pass. Last night because of errors from Forster, then Jullien.

These are errors that the individuals need to learn from, though you’ll never eradicate mistakes from any team.

3. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    This is what it boils down to. We've been spoiled for so long that some fans don't know how to deal with defeat in a big game.

Rydo1888*, neilly1987, JML67 and 3 others like this.
  4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The main learning needs to come in our defence. we are continually making defensive errors and obviously that needs sorted out as a matter of priority- Whether thats in the coaching or the personnel.

Our recruitment has been really poor and has let us down. Not many teams have the depth we have, but not reassuring that Soro and Klimala are not even in the squad right now. Another player with a bit of quality could have been the difference vs Copenhagen. We are spending decent money on players who are not bringing enough to the team. Boli included.

5. Pearse67*

ripped apart in the league game against der hun?
    2 clearances off the line, a missed penalty, that game couldve went either way they simply took their chances.

neilly1987 and ArturBorucCSC like this.
  6. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    We were over run in midfield as we were in the cup final. To me that means ripped open/ ripped apart. Yes we had our own chances but we learned nothing from the cup final and made the same formation error.

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Pointless thread..

Lenny has clearly learned from it, changed our formation after the break and we've been relentless.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    PSG ripped us apart recently, or Barca at the Nou Camp. The scum getting a winning goal because Ajer failed to jump for a header, is not getting ripped apart. Just look at the stats for the game and the chances created.

neilly1987, Pearse67* and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  9. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    Ok let's simplify it. Who were by far the better side in both games?
    They surpised us in the cup final, we should have reacted to it we didn't

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That’s quite a difference from saying we were ripped apart. They were the better side in the cup final, it was a lot more even in the league game, and it wouldn’t be a stretch to say we were better for large parts of the league game.

neilly1987, Pearse67* and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  11. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    When I watched the cup final, as I saw it we were carved open time and time again, yet went with the same formation and pretty much the same team for the 29th, and the game played our pretty much the same.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Then you need to rewatch it as we definitely improved in the league game.

neilly1987 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We didn't get ripped apart in the cup final or on the 29th. Simple as that. I do agree Lennon could use the squad better. I do hate the line if they don't do it in training then they can't play on Saturday or Sunday. You can't tell me you can train like a beast and perform * in games and keep your place, whereas you can train * but don't get a chance in games even though you may be immense. Flawed logic imo.

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    The game on the 29th was * all like the cup final.

neilly1987 likes this.
  15. Foley1888

I agree overall we are used to success but in the main recently, when big seen as near equal opposition or even 60:40 in our favour our results have been mixed. Cluj and Copenhagen being two examples, Rangers another over the last two seasons results have been fairly even in those games (I know we won’t win all of these) have been pretty substandard. On the flip side the Europa league group stage games were a different story and I think they make the result against Copenhagen all the more disappointing as it seemed we had learned. The rangers game in two weeks will be interesting if we play the same tactics and get overrun in midfield again that will be poor. Like Livi last night we have been there twice before last night, there were no surprises how they would play and how the surface would be yet we played a similar team and in a similar way without showing any sort of plan to combat their deep defence and pitch you can’t dribble on. That is the sort of thing Rodgers was criticised for in Europe not adapting our game plan to combat an opponent.

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  16. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    Very good. We won the cup game and then improved to lose the league game.
    I suppose people who have died from the Corona Virus have improved, as they aren't suffering from it anymore

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I see the Cluj game very different from the rest. The lesson I took away was to not expect to qualify for the CL in August with a back line assembled in July.

I get that they’re not a big name team with a big name, but they’re experienced, dangerous and disciplined. Under the circumstances it would honestly have taken a monumental effort for us to go through.

neilly1987 and Seán Mac D like this.
  18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Our recruitment has been very good imo. I think people just have an unrealistic expectation of it. It’s a percentage game really, and we’ve done well on that front.

With Lustig and Tierney leaving, we were effectively in a position where our defence entailed Simunovic, Ajer and Hendry. We spent big and brought in an excellent centre back in Julien, alongside the likes of Frimpong, Hatem, Bolingoli and Taylor. I don’t think we’ve solved the LB area yet, but overall I would say that’s a good job done under very difficult circumstances. Bitton has also proven to be capable at the back.

The loan signings, Forster in particular, have been excellent additions also imo.

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Not denying that Julien and Forster were good signings. And obviously frimpong looks is a huge talent And i believe theres a player in taylor. But we had a prolonged spell with one fit striker. We needed back up at centre back and had to call back a youth player from a loan.
    we have spent around £4.5m in the Jan window on two players who have failed to keep a place in the squad. we spent another £2-3m on Boli in the summer who doesnt make our squad anymore.
    Bitton is being used as a makeshift, effective or not, despite knowing we need another centre back in that area.

Thats a big outlay on players who the jury is out on. That doesnt even cover some of our past buys like Bayo. Not a lot of teams can afford to squander money like that.

20. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    We got a draw away and an away goal, and you think it would take a monumental effort to finish the job a Celtic Park. Away and play with yourself