1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What do we need for next season?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ApartPidgeon, Feb 29, 2020.

Discuss What do we need for next season? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

They'll want a Turnbull-esque fee for him and I'm not convinced he's worth that at all.

He puts himself about and is physical but he doesn't have the finesse of a Christie, the goal-scoring ability of a Turnbull or the vision of a Henderson.

He's 20, so still has time on his side but I don't think he's a must-buy like McGinn was at £2.5 million. There was far more to evidence that he was a good player, doing it against us and them, international caps etc.

2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Yeah but we've got enough in the way of skillful goal-scoring midfielders, we need someone to do the dirty work who can take some of the workload off Brown. I think he's a player who can do that.

He does score goals as well, not many but he pops up with important ones. I think he has a big game mentality and he never hides, which is what we need at Celtic.

Transfer fees of around 4 or 5 million aren't a big turn off either, considering we'll happily spend 3.5M for someone to sit on our bench.

I'm not saying he's a must buy or the answer to all our problems. But I think he's a really talented player who could get even better at Celtic, and he plays a role that we could use in the team.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I'd take Forster, Benkovic, Elyounoussi and a defensive midfielder. Keep everyone else and sell Simunovic and Ntcham.

Seosamh Máirtín likes this.
  4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A new transfer policy, after serious preemptive protests by the fans before the summer transfer window starts.

5. scottbrown8

For us to push on for next season I feel we need to sign Forster first and foremost, with a left back/wing back after selling bolingoli and Hayes not renewing contract hopefully, with Taylor offering competition, we need a centre back once again, which seems to be a plee every transfer window. Midfield we need someone who is going to bully midfielders, someone in the mould of wanyama, brown be used more sparingly, more depth in wide areas, not sure if elyounnoussi is the man however. And we need another top striker to partner edouard, I don't feel Griffith's is consistent enough. Seems alot but this is the areas I think we are weak

6. Pearse67*

Wont really know until we see who moves on.

cb is a must, left back and lw also.

Metrobhoy and markybhoy1976 like this.
  7. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Lots of champagne, plenty of jelly and ice cream and huge banners with the number 10 directly above the crest.

Here we go!!!

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Protests in what form?

There's every chance we could be on a Quadruple Treble and going for 10 in a row, I can't see people outside the doors with the banners, boycotting.

JML67 and McChiellini.. like this.
  9. CountyDownFaithful

Secure Forster on a permanent deal - 1st priority

Other priority areas for me are;

CB - Someone to partner Jullien / compete with Ajer

LB - Unfortunately neither Taylor or Boli have made the position their own so would be keeping an eye on LB targets

CDM - Enforcer/Destroyer to begin taking over from Brown (Could be Soro)

RW - Someone to compete with Forrest unless Shved is given a chance

LW - Would be tempted to see if we can do a deal for Elyounoussi but need to wait and see how our season pans out and what type of business Southampton do. A swap for Ntcham - a player they are supposedly interested in - could be an option if Ntcham is keen on a move.

ST - Quite happy with what we have. Should be forward planning though in case an irresistible bid for Edouard comes in.

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Provocative banners, not renewing season tickets, etc. Reason? The managers aren't being backed sufficiently in a financial sense, causing us to do worse in Europe than is realistically achievable.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    RW. CB x 2. ST x 1. LW. LB.

Hopefully with forster signing permanent and Edouard staying.

It will also depend on whether others leave too etc as usual, like Ntcham.

Again, it's a big window. January was overall pretty pish and although its early days I'm massively disappointed at how little weve seen of the 2 new guys.

It's almost expected now with most new signings at their sort of level.

12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What do we need for next season?

I would say win another treble and dont lose to Sevco

13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Out - Jozo, Rogic, Bayo. Free up wages and hopefully bring in some money. I think Boli could leave.

In- a GK preferably Forster, a centre back, left mid, possibly two strikers if Edouard leaves, one would have to be of very good quality and or potential.

I wouldnt rule out going back in for David Turnbull. Scout Gullan at Hibs, looks like he is going to be a player. Olly Watkins looks a decent striker but will have premiership interest.

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Bring back Johan Mjalby as assistant or defensive coach

15. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

* sake where do you begin?

16. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Stevieee gee to carry on

17. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Forster, or that Copenhagen *.
    A CB, possibly two if Ajer leaves. This has to be the priority.
    Maybe a LB (although I don't think a policy of playing Taylor in a 4 and Boli in a 5 would be a complete disaster).
    Someone to replace Ntcham, who's probably off this summer.
    Maybe Ely too, especially if it's a swap for Ntcham.

18. Foley1888

Where I agree with the logic in terms of prices it doesn’t necessarily have to cost as much in transfer fees as we all know we won’t spend that amount particularly if you use the bosman market well.

What is alarming is over the last 3 windows we have spent £13m+ not mentioning loan fees for the likes of Bayo, Shved, Bolli, Klimala and Soro and none of those 5 players are having any impact on the team at this point in time, granted it is too early to judge the last two.

Going into this window I agree with the assessment of what is needed, based on previous activity it is likely we will bring in 5 or 6 players in the summer based on previous summer windows and the gaps we will have in our squad.

For me these should be GK (hopefully Forster) but if not need a new number 1. It would be great if we have an option to sign FF in our loan.

For defence we badly need at least one CB who is ready to come in first team ready. I would like to see Ajer pushed to CDM and bring in two CBs. It’s time Jozo was let move on. Then there is a left back if Bolli or Taylor prove themselves before end of season we should sell Bolli and get back what we can for him. Fillip Mladenovic who is a Serbian international is available as a bosman and would give us an El Hamad type left back option and add physicality to that position.

CM if we keep current crop and Soro turns out good or Ajer stepping in to CDM. This is one position where either Connell, Henderson and or Soro needs to step up next season and play 15- 20 games at least across the season. If Ntcham goes I would like to see a proper box to box midfielder brought in or Christie used in that capacity.

Wingers if Elyounoussi is not signed and given performance so far I am not convinced we will pay the asking price. Ideally it would be good to bring in a left winger or someone who can cover both wings. Forrest needs some back up unless one of the young guys coming through such as Dembele, Oko-Flex or someone else can push there way into first team squad. I would look to move Shved on as it’s clear he is not fancied and isn’t getting a chance so no point keeping him. Hayes contract not that keen to renew but wouldn’t be too upset if it was. Overall a left winger definitely, ideally another who can cover either wing and potentially play in behind a striker.

Striker, if we keep Eddy I would look to loan Bayo and bring in another physical centre forward. They wouldn’t even need to be the most prolific but someone who can take the ball in and bring the rest of our attacking players in to the game. I realise Dembele was a class player but that very short stint before he left when we had him and eddy in the team, we looked such a threat. Given Eddys quality having someone else to tie up defenders and provide Eddy with space and allow him to drop off like he does in games. If eddy goes big money needs to spent to replace him. I know he is unlikely to be the required quality but a Dykes style
    player, could have a good impact on us as a team. I miss having a Striker who can bully CB like JVOH, Sutton, Hartson.

A caveat is I would like us to try get Moussa Sylla from Monaco on a bosman, who looks a talent but has been frozen out by their big spending. Only 20 and if we keep eddy next year could be a great partner option all be it not the physical type I was mentioning above.

Overall GK Forster £? (Hoping we agreed one before the loan)

CB x2 one probably £5m+ unless bosman (Robin Knoche) and a second cheaper option (£2mish) or promote Welsh to being more involved.

Left back Flilip Mladenovic bosman.

Winger Left Wing and/or flexible option across both wings and CAM. Not sure who here but say £3-5m but some bosman opportunities Aitor Cantalapiedra , Kevin Bua or a more experienced Bryan Linssen all having good seasons. Getting one of those then could allow us to bring in two players.

Striker (if we keep Eddy) Moussa Sylla (bosman) and a target man type (Dykes or anyone else £1m). Alternatively could spend a little more and get the likes of Cedric Itten.

Total indicative outlay on the above in region of around £15-25m. If we sell a few players and bring in £10-15m, say Ntcham/Ajer plus some fringe players or higher with Dembele sell on of at least £4m. We could even spend a bit more (we won’t). I am not saying this is the amount we should Or I want to spend but it is likely in the region of what we will.

I would stay away from loans unless they have an option to buy. As well as likely continuing to scout top leagues second string like we did with Connell, Frimpong, Afolobi and O’Connor.

All the above will change if we sell Eddy (Hopefully won’t) for more than £30-35m, I would expect our business to be more ambitious.

19. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I'm quietly confident we will get an extension over line for edoaurd. That means that we will most likely keep him till summer 2021 but wouldn't rule out a contract extension in April and a big big offer in August. Outside of that I think we need a really high quality centre half that also has age on his side and with that we need to move on simo, I like simo and we aren't a club that throws players under bus, but he's very injury prone and could hopefully attract a relative good value offer . Ajer could go, I think he may attract an offer and I think Lennon doesn't mammy him like he wants to from a manager. I also believe we need to use the league post boxing off the league to either put certain players in shop window and/or see what they are about. That's why I think bayo, klimala, soro, welsh, Robertson, dembele, Mikey johnson and maybe Coffey as a attacking mid should all get plenty of minutes. We also seem to have a few issues at left back but having spent what we have last year I can't see us giving up on both Taylor and boli. there is absolutely no point acquiring all this young talent to never give it a chance, we have to start bringing some players through... My team post wrapping up league..

.............Forster...........
    .....elhamed simo welsh......
    Frimpong soro Robertson boli
    ....... .........rogic................
    ..........klimala bayo....................

Dembele for frimpong .... Johnson for boli where appropriate and the decision on shved has probably have already been made so.. think we should consider cashing in if there is an offer for rogic and in that case I'd consider Turnbull at a knockdown from last season's fee

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  20. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Lol

JML67 likes this.