1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What do we need for next season?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ApartPidgeon, Feb 29, 2020.

Discuss What do we need for next season? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I think we need the balance between buying unproven potential and ready made first team players.

I for one dont think we should abandon the policy in taking risks bringing in unprovan players with potential. Its the most likely way we will find more VVD and Eddie type. Frimpong being an even more recent example.

But these players need time. And in Eddie example we didnt need him to carry a burden of being our top striker when he signed due to dembele and griff carry more of that responsibility giving the big time time to settle and improve.

Frimpong being another example thats worked with the same metric. El-Ham when fit will probably start first choice but Frimpong can come in and get game time and improve. Only slight issue would be that El-Ham is injury prone, even including before our time, but Ajer and Bauer can come in or we play 3-5-2 to work around it.

But if we use the example of centre back then its an example of it hasnt worked. Think back to the summer. We had Ajer Bitton and Jozo. We also knew Lenny at times would like to play 3 centre halves. And with El-Ham potental to move across it still left us way short of whats required.

Ajer is moving from that potential play to first choice. Not there just yet espically being a converted midfielder to centre half. The other 3 (Jozo Bitton El-Ham) all injury prone with concerns about form or if thats their best position. So we needed 2 centre halves that were first team ready straight away. We got one in Jullien and we have paid a price for that.

This policy needs to be managed across the team.

GK - gordon will leave and Bain will be back up. So we require first choice ready keeper

RB - covered above

CB - next season we have futher year development from Ajer plus Jullien being top player. What do we require - Jozo to be sold and player similar to Jullien brought in. Still believe on top of that we need that potential player there too. Could we have it in Welsh or Oconnor maybe but id get a full year loan into those guys.

LB - spoke about this in another thread. Ideally domestically we have two full back that can run the line on each flank like Liverpool and we equally as in-depth defensively as there are going past the full back and getting telling crosses. Last summer we knew KT was going. So if we have the right balance in our transfer strategy its simple. We need two left backs with one first team ready (using jullien as the standard) and another with potential that would be giving time to get up to standard. But we * up by getting two players that A/ dont run the flank as well as they defend. B/ neither were ready to be the jullien of the left back position.
    So what do we require? Let Hayes go and cut our losses with Boli and get left back in ready to make that position his own for the 10.

RIght wing - last summer we had forrest with emergence of Dembele and Shved joining up with us. We also had Arzani that could play either wing. In fairness that should been us covered. As requards this summer - forrest is first choice. Dembele has the potential but not sure within 6 months we can relay on him getting 20 games. Shved could and should be that player, but huge question marks there. Arzani should go back to city. So we may require that player signed that has potential to play on the right. If that player can also play on the left its a huge bonus when i talk about the LW futher down.

DM - last summer we had Brown for this role. Domestically i believe Mcgregor can fill this role as defensive playmaker in brown absence but we didnt sign anyone that can play the Brown role as direct competion. I think we regret that or should regret that. Yes we signed Soro in Jan, but brown situation is different to the right back scenario we have. By that i mean next year we have El-Ham to take the weight off Frimpong who himself is qualifed enough to start a number of games next year. But Brown is moving to twlight of his career and not sure soro alone should be the direct alternative. Domestically that isnt an issue because mcgregor can fill the role. But we seen against Copenhagen in that we were forced to play Brown who clearly wasnt fully fit. We need to test Soro between now and the end of the season, but at this stage id want a jullien quality defensive midfielder signed because Brown wont be around much longer and we dont want to be caught cold with interest in McGregor.

CM - start of the season we had McGregor Ntcham, Christie with connell brought in as potential. I still feel if we held onto those guys and sign the quality DM we should be fine.

LW - start of the season we have had Mo and Mikey. That would be the first choice and the emerging talent there. We had Sinclair and Arzani and Hayes. Next Summer we will have none of the above 3 and MJ coming in from a horrendous injury season that this was and Mo loan will be up. So first up is that quality first team player. That player aling side MJ and as reference above a player that can play on both the RW and LW as potential and we should be covered.

AM - start of the season we have Rogic Christie and Ntcham. Next season i would say we are fine but cant see us retaining both Ntcham and Rogic. But if we lose either its another first choice player. But run with the fact neither will be sold so we are fine.

Striker - last season we had Eddie as first choice. Griff we werent sure if he would return and if he still was capable and Bayo. But we needed 4 strikers espically if we were to play two up top at times. Eddie ticked the box as top striker - Bayo had potential. And Griff was unknown. We needed a top striker then (again reference Jullien standard) We have signed Polish Paddy to complete the four in January but hes not the stsndard to walk in as first choice. Next season we need two first choice and two back up potential types. Because im running with what we have i will include Eddie, but could be wishful thinking. So Eddie and another of top standard. With Griff and Polish Paddy to back that up. Get loan into Bayo. We need that player signed to be of higher standard than just potential because if we are lucky to get another year from Eddie that would be it. Lets be proactive and not reactive here.

Basing on first choice quality to be 7m and that potential quality to be 2.5m. This is what we require

Gk -7m
    CB - 7m
    CB -2.5m
    LB - 7m
    DM -7m
    RW - 2.5m
    LW -7m
    ST- 7m

Yes thats 47m and wont happen

We offset Foster, Gordon, Bauer, Jozo, Boli, Hayes, Shved, Mo and potentiality Bayo too. So at a push we would have that down to 35m. But even if we did do that and i know we wont be coming out of a transfer window 35m down, but we would have serious assets within that set up. Tie Eddie down to another contract with the promise we will get a big move once we get the 10. Sell him for 40m and we can replace him the season after and covering the huge outlay we would have made. I understand that wont happen but its how i believed we were going to go when BR came in.

Another point is should we abandon this obession with the treble each year and use both cups to develop the likes of Welsh, Church, Dembele, Connell with a mix of first team players needing game time. Manage the squad plus giving others the platform to develop

2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yes, I I'm not a fan of Taylor, but I he's had fleeting moments but can't say he's overly impressed so far. We onnly have 2 on left backs.

Many RBs did we keep from last year out of curiosity?

It's just my take on it, it's an opinion, and just like when I said not buying a CB would cost us, I'm probably around £3m right with that one?

Just an opinion.

3. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    What we need to do is make more use of what we've got to see what they can do.
    I appreciate that's difficult with a league and cup still to win.

However we have 7 subs surely one or two of them could be guys like Soro Shved Dembele Welsh, who could come on for the last 20/25 minutes if we have a comfortable lead, like we did against Hearts and others

4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Players who i think will leave in the summer:

Edouard - i really hope we do everything in our power to try and keep him
    Ntcham - I think if anybody offers us over 12 million for him we'll accept it, would rather we keep him
    Bolingoli - unless he can somehow make himself first choice LB again he isn't staying to be backup
    Hendry - Obvious
    Ralston - Obvious
    Gutman - I think we'll loan him out again
    Aitchison- Same as above
    Perez - Same as above
    Gordon - Out of contract i think
    Bayo - Either loaned out or sold, preferably the former
    Elyounoussi - I like him, but i don't think we'll spend 9 million to keep him, still hasn't recovered from his injury
    Kouassi - obvious
    Shved - Same as bayo, i hope we loan him as i think he can still be a player for us
    Bauer - no way we buy him

Players who i think we'll sign:

Arzani - No real reason to sign him but the fact he's stayed on until the summer and isn't in our first teams is odd unless we plan to buy him, which i think we will
    Forster - I think we'll come to an agreement to sign the big man permanently

Outside of the above two we still need:

1 CB, preferably two if Simunovic leaves (please)
    1 first choice LW
    A new LB IF bolingoli leaves
    2 Strikers - I think Kilimala will be used in our youth squad for a while and Bayo is almost certain to leave. If Edouard also leaves that only leaves us with Griffiths, we need 2 strikers minimum.

We have to back Lennon this summer, we cannot have a repeat of the January window, more signings like Jullien please, he's clearly shown what spending a bit of money gets you.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  5. Keano88

Highest to lowest priority:

- Double Edouard's wage to keep him for one more season.
    - Sign Forster on a permanent deal.
    - Sign two CB’s, one experienced, one prospect.
    - Sign Elyounoussi or another LW.
    - Sign a LB to compete with Taylor.
    - Sign a RW to help Forrest share the load.
    - Partner McGregor and Christie in midfield and sign a number 10.

6. Orsenfelt

Lofty ambitions abound in this thread - but this is the Celtic board we're talking about, they probably think we've already prepared for Edouard leaving by signing Klimala.

Ralston and Kouassi will be back, they'll be like new signings!

7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We Need The TEN

packybhoy likes this.
  8. freitassen

Forster. We don't need a goalkeeper. We need Forster. A goalkeeper at the same level will cost more than him and we have a big chance of missing our hand and finding a dude. In case it is absolutely impossible to sign Forster (and I honestly dont think it should be), we go after a goalkeeper. There is no way we can play european football with Bain.

We need not one, but TWO cb's. Jozo is not good enough, Elhamed will be injured more often than not, don't know if Welsh is ready, Bitton is not a CB, and we need at least 4 guys in condition to play often at a good level if we are indeed going to use the 3 5 2 more often.

That, if no one leaves. Anyone who leaves need to be replaced not by some obscure 20 year old from Eastern Europe leagues, or the SPFL. Needs to be an 8 million plus player ready to join the first 11 immediately, such as Jullien and Edouard were.

9. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    More disco lights and heated seats.

Xatraps and TheHappyLoss like this.
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We need Slippy as Rangers manager

Dan Breen likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Seriously. What we expect every window varies in the realistic perception of the fan. Some think we can spend like a Leicester or a Newcastle. Totally off the scale for us. We can however afford £7-£10m players if we stop throwing money at 3/4 £2.5-3m players. Julien is a perfect example as is Edourd. Big outlay but we will reap the rewards big time. We need players who can step up and play mediocre teams off the park in Europe. We had the best example in the group stages and then another Scandinavian team slap us. That must stop. Another treble will be great though.

12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Oh and Jozo out the door on a free.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hard to say just now as it’ll depend on how Soro and Klimala do between now and then.

Forster permanently, a new CB, and hopefully an Edouard replacement would be my priorities.

14. Sentinel

More jelly & ice cream?

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

So sell McGregor and sell all 3 Left Backs.

:56:

16. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Keep Fraser , get in a top quality CB and a top quality LB and we could go with what we have and do very very well providing we don't sell any of our best players.

17. StevieBhoooy!

First - we need to KEEP our best players instead of using them as a CL failure backup to top up the vault whose contents keep growing without an equivalent spend.

Second - sign the successful loan players on a couple of year contracts.

Third - bring in (season loan or sign) the couple of key players we should have signed in January.

Fourth - (Personal niggle) need much more scrutiny regarding the injury history of potential signings and what our injury patterns are and how to deal with these better - we play a lot of games but still seem to have more than our fair share of long term or repetitive injury cases especially among some of our better players whom we have badly missed at times.

18. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    What we need to do for next season is to sign a right nasty *. Our team is full of nice fellas. Broony is our nastiest and he is a lovely bloke at heart.

Even look at Copenhagen, some of their lads were annoying af. Especially that beardy guy who scored.

Jullien, Ajer, Taylor, Forrest, Mcgregor, Eddy all nice as pie guys. You need that bit of dirtiness and steel to go far in Europe unless you're Barca etc.

19. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    If who we need to stay stays then ,

Forster
    CB £5m plus someone proper decent
    If Eddy leaves hes needs replaced

Like Elyounoussi but think we will mostly play a 3-5-2

Gk
    Forster ,
    Bain

CB
    Julien , Ajer , New CB
    El Hamed , Biton , Welsh

RWB
    Forrest
    Frimpong

Lwb
    Taylor
    Hayes
    Boli

Cm
    Brown
    McGregor
    Christie
    Soro
    Nctham
    Rogic

St
    Eddy
    Thumb
    Klimala
    Bayo

With Dembele , Robertson etc... to be called up if needed

20. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    No we need more than 2 players. I think we need 6 players

GK
    CB
    LB
    CM
    LW
    ST

Plus tie eddy down

Theres money in the bank. We would move on atleast 6 -8 players either out the door or on loan.

Here we go..ten in a row!!