1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Small team mentality.

Raoul Duke and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  2. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I saw it a little differently. I didn't think our tactics were working well at all. We came out quickly and tried to play forward and really get on the front foot, but we were giving the ball away far too often, our play was frantic and it just wasn't working. We did manage a few decent chances, but overall I thought we had no control and were pretty disjointed.

Jozo looked like a mistake waiting to happen long before he gave the ball away for their opener. He looked rattled and you could see how badly he was struggling after his error. I actually felt sorry for him.

When the onus was on us to create something in the second half we were unable to do it. We didn't even try to play out from the back and go through midfield - we were just going long and hoping for something. We got a bit of luck with the penalty but then we * it straight away - just like Cluj.

Had Christie and Ntcham been fit & available it might have been different. If Elhamed or Frimpong had been fully fit we'd have been much more balanced. As it was, a half-fit Scott Brown struggled through the game, Ajer looked uncomfortable at right-back and Jozo looked uncomfortable full stop.

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You have to try and avoid looking at things on the basis of one-off games. The reality is, every one of us would’ve been delighted if we’d been offered European football after Christmas and to still be on course for a domestic treble, all in a season that is essentially a rebuilding job.

In pure monetary terms then yes, we should be beating Cluj and Copenhagen, but then we should also be losing to Lazio and Rennais.

4. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It's all a matter of opinions and that's what makes football so interesting. I thought the tactics were working as they had no clear chances and I don't think they even had an effort on goal until the 1st goal whereas we had a couple of decent chances and I thought we did look in control of the game.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Exactly.

Laughable view on European football.

6. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Or living in the reality

7. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Haven't said hee haw about Thursday night. Difference was they scored first. Changed the whole dynamic of the game. Playing Ajer at RB was a monumental error imo. Thought we didn't help matters as supporters second half especially. Personally thought we should have tried harder to get behind the team more. Nervy in the stands, it seemed to transmit on to the park. Not linking the two or trying to pass blame. It happened, it was gutting but I hope Lennon will play players in their natural positions more often than not.

8. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

100%

The domestic success recently has been unprecedented and incredible and will be talked about long after this group of players has finished playing, and rightly so.

The reality is that football fans in general aren't really that bothered about us dominating Scottish football. Celtic has always had respect because of our history in European football, and our stadium is widely regarded by many as one of the best atmospheres in European football.

Big players want to play in the Champions League, or at least get to the latter stages of the Europa League. If Celtic are doing neither, we are a less attractive proposition to not only potential signings, but current players.

Raoul Duke and Bob Loblaw like this.
  9. Jeremie Frimpong

We only beat Aberdeen roughly 8 times out of 10, so that is improbable.

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If celtic keep selling players for big money to the EPL we will still be very attractive. We are a stepping stone like it or not.

11. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you're trying to say, as without domestic success there won't be European football.

I just don't understand why European football after Christmas should be dismissed as unimportant when it's one of the key reasons that players choose us as a club. Our performances in Europe are hugely important for this club's image and reputation. It's possible to maintain domestic dominance while also progressing on the European stage. One doesn't have to come at the expense of the other.

This season we had to beat Copenhagen and Istanbul to make a European quarter final. A golden opportunity and we utterly * it. Some people seem to be more interested in getting one up on the huns than recementing Celtic as one the biggest names in Europe.

Lewis Kerr and Garrymac1888 like this.
  12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We’ve beat Aberdeen 9 times and drew once out of the last 10 and Copenhagen just beat us. If you’re basing that on our overall record the sample size is illogical.

Disregarding the petty forensic analysis, the point is Copenhagen are vastly superior to Aberdeen in every department.

13. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I get it and understand it mate, totally. I also would love to get to another final and do brilliant in it, I'm just being honest and will be more upset if we lose to St Johnstone or Livingston this week than I was on Thursday.

Bob Loblaw likes this.
  14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    So its seems the general consensus now is it's the players fault, nothing to do with the manager who picks them or gives them the tactics

The players played Ajer at right back, the players picked Jozo and kept him on the pitch, the players dropped Griffiths, the players changed from a winning formation, the players didn't see what was happening on the pitch and change it on time, the players picked Rogic who clearly wasnt match fit???? I could go on...

Simple fact is and I know some of you don't like to hear it, Lenny made a balls of it, like he did against Cluj, like he did against the scum at home, like he did in the League cup final although we got away with that one..

We should be winning everything domestically, we have the biggest and best squad by a distance... Europe should be where we are judged, this season apart from thursday has been very good but Thursday was a complete catastrophe and down to the management...

15. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think you're going to have to stop banging on about it. We've all had our say and we're quite clearly not all going to agree. Time to get over it and move on.

16. Jeremie Frimpong

Our win percentage over our last 65 games against Aberdeen is 83.1%. We are a better team than Copenhagen. "But Copenhagen just beat us."

I called you out because you arrogantly dismissed someone who knows more about Danish football than you do, not because I think that Aberdeen are a better team than Copenhagen.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Over the last 65 games :56:

I’ll leave it at that.

18. Ak1

Excuse me here, had a few cold ones, so may ramble.

For me, one of the biggest factors on Thursday was the ability of our midfield to maintain their standard of performance with and without the ball.
    Stand off any side and they look superb, and regrettably with Ntcham and Christie unavailable, Rogic, McGregir and Brown couldn't get close enough to them during the second half.

My opinion, is the squad doesn't get rotated enough and that certain players (Brown, Forest, McGregor and going back over 18 months Armstrong/Tierney) get over worked at key times - leading to fatigue, loss of form and injuries.

#Rogic's issues lasting over 90-95 mins btw is hardly breaking news, and points to a different problem altogether#

This isn't a criticism of Lennon btw.
    He sees the squad at training every day and his record since returning (Cluj - Copenhagon aside) is almost faultless.

I guess 'our' business model, of recruiting from cheaper leagues, has both strengths and weaknesses.

But too often the likes of Allen, Kouasi, Soro and before that Johansen, Bitton and Armstrong just aren't ready to consistently perform for 40+ games a season. Resulting in our team being left exposed at key times in difficult games against decent opposition.

I feel the same problem exists across the team, with the defence and in particular Elhamed and Jozo both highlighting similar issues.

I'm not complaining, but I do feel we need to understand that signings like Julien, Demebe and to some extent Edouard are exceptions. Whereas the introduction and performances of Klimala, Shved and Soro may well become more typical of our future recruitment policies.

End of rant, off to watch the bhoys smash St J

19. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Look at the course of our recent history. That CL last 16 glass ceiling we had, and now Europa League last 32 glass ceiling. All the while enjoying unprecedented dominance on the domestic scene. In an ever changing footballing world, Celtic's place in it has been increasingly uncertain in the past 15-20 years. And it's fair to say we have punched above our weight in Europe throughout that time. We won our group this year, in some style. Compared to Rodgers last outing in Europe, that's progress. We shat the bed on Thursday night and yes the manner of the defeat was painful. But I look at where we're at this season and what we are setting ourselves up for next season, and I can't see how anyone can have a bad word to say about Lennon or the team. We will look back on these years as the "good old days"

johnfife1959 likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Got all the subs bang on I thought..

Bayo offered more defensively when Eddy was * and doesn't challenge much for headers..

That Wright didn't get by Hayes once or do anything when he came on..

Rogic for a bit more of a grip in the middle..

Christie was better as a supporting striker as well and nabbed the goal..

Saul Goodman and TheHappyLoss like this.