1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We should be buying quality players

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JIMMYD1967, Feb 28, 2020.

Discuss We should be buying quality players in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JIMMYD1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    On Eddie we don't need the cash, let's invest in the squad with quality and persuade him to stay.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He won’t be sold to pay bills, he’ll be sold because he’ll want to go and play for a top side in a top league and place himself in a position to break into the France squad.

All of which he’s capable of.

Sydneysider, Rydo1888* and joemc like this.
  3. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Truth is if we don't spend bigger we'll continue to do * all in Europe.

JIMMYD1967 and Dan Breen like this.
  4. World Champion

Exactly the guy's a dud.

5. Momo Sylla

Based on what? He's played about 100 minutes over 3 games.

Way too early to be writing him off.

6. World Champion

Just think it doesn't look good, he's made no impact and Lennon's left him out of the squad a good few times.

7. Momo Sylla

He looked a bit shocked by the physicality but he'll get used to it.

Bayo came back and scored straight away so that knocked him down the pecking order. Hopefully he'll get a run once the leagues wrapped up now that we're playing 2 up top.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We need to break from this 12M a season mentality.
    If we get FF and a partner for big CJ, likely that will be around 14M.
    If all stay, then we are in good shape. Except for some steel in midfield, we need a ball winner to fight and control tempo. But they don't come cheap.
    Get where people are coming from, spending 2 or 3M on "maybe" players.
    Still think squad is bloated.

JIMMYD1967 likes this.
  9. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I think we could definitely be a little smarter and more organised with our scouting, recruitment and squad management/planning in order to make our money work harder for us.

Every transfer is a gamble and spending £10m doesn't guarantee a player will be a success, but I don't think it's a coincidence that our best foreign players (imo) are Julien, Ntcham and Edouard and they all came from big clubs/leagues and cost us a little extra.

The rest of the players signed from abroad are a mixed bunch. Simunovic, Bolingoli, Elhamed, Ajer, Bitton, Soro, Rogic, Shved, Bayo & Klimala have all had varying degrees of success, though it is too early to judge for some.

I like us signing players who do well at other SPFL sides. Bain, Taylor, Hayes, Brown, Christie & Griffiths were all signed after impressing at smaller Scottish clubs, and have all been - at the very least - good squad players. It doesn't always work (Hendry springs to mind), but it generally doesn't cost us too much when it goes wrong.

I also think we could use our academy more often and be more patient with young players. It's fair to say there were doubts about McGregor among the support, but with time and patience he blossomed into a terrific player and future captain. Forrest struggled with injury, consistency and a lack of end product - but look at him now.
    Johnston (when fit) is electric, Dembele is tearing up the youth leagues. Henderson is a clever player, and Robertson & Welsh both had good debuts.

bkk bhoy likes this.
  10. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I honestly think the club are pinning their hopes on some type of new league format. Atlantic League type of set up

Our club may be attractive to foreign players but our league is not. For that reason i think the club will not invest in CL class players and are content to just make up the numbers. BR broke the transfer model and that wont happen again.

Salary is also an issue for getting top players, the younger ones will come to further their career but older players with good pedigree will want top salary and we just can't compete.

But when we sell a player for many millions then we should be spending half the money on a replacement - not three guys to replace him.

11. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Loads of folk on here were saying we desperately needed another striker as Eddy was knackered, Griff was unfit and Bayo was always injured. It looks unnecessary now cos for a change they're all fit. As for another CB - we have 5 players who can play there but 3 of them are quite injury prone - if he knew he was going 3 at the back they should have been looking for another but maybe there wasn't decent one available at the right price.

12. Nasser

I don't think they are as that's unlikely to ever happen, it's been talked about for 20 years.

13. Onefootwonder

The board are only comfortable paying £2-3m.

Everyone else's scouting teams are far more on the ball now. The chances of unearthing a proper talent playing in a good league is getting harder and harder. Everyone else is looking too.

Buying unknown players from unknown leagues is risky. For every good one there is going to be a few duds.

14. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    How many utter flops have we signed in the last decade in the 2-4m bracket ? Seems to be the cursed figure .

The OP has a point imo . Julien and Eddy spent big on them and they are the first names on the teamsheet.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    This summer i'd sell Jozo, Ntcham and spend the money on Benkovic and a new defensive midfielder a big * who defends like Wanyama or even a Ledley type. Not Wanyama though hes been injured for the best part of 3 years and can't reliably stay fit.

16. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was something about it recently in the papers ( maybe a year ago , 18 months ). The reason why i think they are looking at it is because of the stadium upgrades, hotel etc. Most clubs focus investment on football matters but recently Celtic seem to be investing quite a bit on other stuff. The lighting wont attract any any custom, and revamping the area around the stadium etc is all well and good but the fans would prefer signing players to keep us in Europe.

Lawwell is a shrewd businessman and i just got a feeling he is putting things in place should the opportunity arise. This could be 10 years down the line (or more) and maybe he knows something we don't.

Like i said, "pinning their hopes" on something , but i have no idea what format that would take. I'm sure a good few other clubs are in a position similar to ours. Discussions and informal chats will be happening all the time because if you are not in the big 5 leagues then you can only see the financial gap widening.