1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

For me our strongest XI is:

Forster
    Frimpong Jullien Ajer Bolingoli
    Brown McGregor
    Forrest Christie Elyounoussi
    Edouard​

Domestically at home, against most teams, we could go:

Forster
    Elhamed Ajer Jullien
    Forrest Christie Brown McGregor Elyounoussi
    Griffiths Edouard​

2. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I'd like to see Ntcham playing off Edouard in a free role, think their link up and touch in and around the box would cause teams havoc.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Another night against a decent side where our team has looked short in all department's..

Defensively wide open
    Midfield overran and bossed
    Attackers isolated and nullified

We don't have the personnel to play the 3-5-2 against better side's than the also rans domestically..

Anyone reckon a switch to a diamond in the middle 4-4-2, would work better for us in say the Cluj, Copenhagen, Hun game's type game's?

Something like

Forster

Elhamed/Frimpong
    Ajer
    Jullien
    Taylor/Boli

Broony/Soro
    McGregor
    Christie
    Ntcham/Mo

Griff/Forrest just off
    Eddy

For one it would end the one of Christie and Ntcham dilemma and that 4 you'd fancy to boss a midfield a lot more..

Think it could be a useful option to try. The only real player it hurts is Forrest out of position and I get that he's a bug weapon (usually) for us..

4. Trequartista

It would possibly strike a balance between what both the 4231 and 352 offer you.

I do think that going forward, we have to go with two up top all things considered. Eddy is the crown jewel of the team, when he plays well we play much better going forward therefore when he’s on the park, the system should be based around him. Against any team domestically we should be going for the jugular. I just don’t think we are well suited to trying to keep it tight.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  5. wulliebad

Did we not try the diamond before and it was a mess, or am i remembering wrongly.:39:

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We can talk tactics until the cows come home, it all goes oot the windy when you have players making individual errors that are very costly.

I did think it a bit odd that Lenny never went with Griff and Eddie up front from the start.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye that's what brought me to post that. I feel like we need or needed to find a happier balance just for now due to the personnel we have at our disposal..

Yep. Eddy was isolated and we've seen since the turn of the year just how good he us when he has a partner, or someone close to him..

We are so much better on the front foot. We give too many chances away and never fillyou with confidence we'll keep a clean sheet..

No too sure. Probably have but can't mind it for ages..

I thought the team was nailed on with the only question being whether Tam or Mo would play in the middle 3..

Wasn't what the majority thought would be the line-up..

8. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Ideally domestically we play two full backs that get forward to supply the width, similar to liverpool.

It allows you more clever plays like christie and Mo to come in from the wide area and cause havoic.

Frimpong will develop nicely in time for that role. The more games we have El-ham available the better. Giving Frimpong time to develop.

But on the left we have johnny hayes out of contract end of the season and huge question marks over the other two.

I was worried when i read the reviews from Vienna fans about Boli not rating him that highly. While he has pace his positional sense for a left back isnt great. But he will supply the width but at times his passing lets him down too.

Taylor is beter defensively, but isnt a player likely to go past to many right backs, playing further forward he loses that postional sense. At kilmarnock and scotland you see his strengths more when not being asked to cover the left side on his own.

We need to lose 1 in the summer to bring in better. Do you keep taylor that knows the league more, and is the better defender but not great going forward.

Or keep boli because hes more a threat going forward and might settle better next season after a year under his belt.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    personally im a big believer that good tactics and organisation reduces the chances of individual mistakes, but obviously doesnt eradicate them completely.

As well as we have done since Dubai, im not a fan of the 3-5-2.
    I am a fan of playing two in attack, but i dont think its suits us defensively unless we have frimpong and el hamed fit.
    i think our backline has shown to be shaky in this system and i think Taylor would be best suited to playing in a back 4. Im also not a fan of forrest being used as a wing back.

joemc likes this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We’re going to keep getting overrun in big games as long as he sticks with playing a midfield that needs to drop deep to cover the lack of pace.

Midfield should be

McGregor
    Ntcham Christie ​

JC Anton and Lewis Kerr like this.
  11. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Many things contributed to our defeat past night and of course tactics played big part.

But what even more so is the fact ntcham and christie werent available. And forced our hand in playing brown. He was clearly not fully fit. So the biggest fault lies within someone in our club would rather sign Soro than Wanyama.

12. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We still created plenty last night to win same with the 1st leg, the change to 352 came too late but still last night was down to several big players not turning up and too many mistakes.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'd rather have a cow at Centre Back than Jozo

david100825 likes this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Never had you down as a farmer Marty, but each tae their own. :67: :50:

Marty McFly likes this.
  15. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Ive herd that before

Marty McFly likes this.
  16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I read this as you'd rather have crow at centre back. He's bin * all season.

17. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Are you playing mcgregor further forward or as a holding midfielder? I don't think he's good enough defensively to be holding

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Just wondering if this could work, thinking about life without Broonie.. simple 4-4-2

Forster
    Elhamed Ajer Jullien Taylor
    Forrest Christie McGregor Elyonoussi
    Griffiths Edouard

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I know the main thing people will want to discuss is the 3-5-2, but two weeks in a row I have been concerned with our centre back pairing at times.

Watch Ajer here, basic defending logic is if one centre half is going up for the header, you get your * in behind to cover if the ball goes beyond him. Ajer actually slows down and is expecting some perfectly placed headed pass from CJ rather than just busting a gut and sweeping. It didn't cost us fortunately, but could so easily have led to a goal. As a defender it infuriates me watching this.

The very same thing happened last week against Hamilton, (can't find a clip) their big guy won the flick on and then actually went on the pick up HIS OWN flick on because Ajer was posted missing. Wish we could keep our defending hats on at times and stop worrying about playing out from the back. John Kennedy, I'm looking at you.

Senna s1979 likes this.
  20. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Ye we were suspect and we need an addition at CB, jullien had an awful game and ajer wasn't much better but I think it's a lot easier for us to tighten that part of our game up than address what I would find more concerning are chance creation. Like the Christie goal should have been saved and I can't remember their keeper making any sort of save .. I think edoaurd had his first touch in the box in the 70th minute.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Senna s1979 and Marty McFly like this.