1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2 Legged Knockout Ties

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by cammy07, Feb 28, 2020.

Discuss 2 Legged Knockout Ties in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cammy07

What's our issue with these * games? There can't be many teams out there worse at them than we are. Especially when we take a decent result back from the first leg.

Off the top of my head that's Copenhagen, maribor, Cluj, Zenit (slightly less so given they were a solid side) all in recent times where we've completely blown a decent first leg result. 3 of them we've been at home second time around also.

Even ties we've won like Beer Sheva and Astana where we had 4 goal leads we've very nearly managed to blow it.

There's clearly some sort of mentality issue there, cause none of the sides mentioned have been anything more than decent, Zenit aside.

It's maybe cause its still raw, but last night hurts a lot worse than any of other * ups. We had more than enough to take them back to Parkhead and get a decent result against them but * the bed. I think we were all generally so positive going into the game last night, it was a real kick in the teeth.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The fact we haven’t won a knockout tie in Europe since Barcelona is an utter embarrassment, really.

Valhalla likes this.
  3. wulliebad

Just be thankful the quality of the spl is so * or we would be winning very little there as well.
    Its not the games its the quality of our players,anyone with half a brain knows if you pressure us and don't give us any time on the ball we make mistakes.
    When those mistakes end up as goals well this is the result.
    Last night was a mess,hoofing the ball so eddy could get crowded out by 4 or 5 defenders,forrest another night off and our defence,holly *.
    You can't go into Europe with players like EFE or JOZO and expect to go far.

4. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Our players were more than capable of winning both legs of this tie at a canter, especially at home.

5. wulliebad

And yet here we are,and its not a one off is it...?
    We had one good half over two games,their manager seen what was happening and took control and changed things,and from that point on we struggled.
    To go from winning our group to this....i don't understand it really.

6. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    And that's down to our manager not being reactive and making adjustments, nothing to do with the players. Jozo had a nightmare last night, not really much Lennon can do to predict that, starting Bitton would be seen as a risk but as soon as we concede and his head is gone Bitton and griff should have been on, not waiting till the 70th minute to do something. Last night was mostly Lennons fault imo, not the players.

cammy07 and Twisty like this.
  7. Eazey

Team looked nervous as * from the first whistle. Seems to be the pressure of european football gets to us and has done for years.

8. M 67

Wee bit off topic but does anyone know what the impact on the co-efficient is now? I thought if we won last night, we’d leapfrog Denmark in the ratings...but obviously that’s no happening (unless the huns get them and win)!

9. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Denmark are 0.375 ahead now i think.

M 67 likes this.
  10. cammy07

We'd overtaken them, now they're back in front after last night.

M 67 likes this.