1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Crowd / Atmosphere at Celtic Park

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Feb 28, 2020.

Discuss The Crowd / Atmosphere at Celtic Park in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Cos we needed 2 and weren’t going to get a sniff.

I normally stay until the players have passed me on their lap round the pitch but just left at the whistle tonight. Cba.

seanm likes this.
  2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Aye wait and I’ll sing and chant during that utter dross.

There’s supporting and there’s mindless singing. Supporting is getting behind the team, praising the good and picking up after the bad. Not just trying to sing the loudest for 90 mins.

Its a game we are expected to win against Copenhagen at home in the Europa League, not a game we are massive underdogs in against Juventus away in the Champions League last 16 and basically already knocked out.

It was 5-0 btw.

seanm likes this.
  3. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    The team needed the supporters from the first whistle, not the fans need the players to perform first to their expectations and then we will get going, otherwise tough luck. Any time we've went into a game in Europe as favourites the atmosphere is dross from the get go, a loose pass and the full stadium groans and you get the select few shouting abuse at certain players, don't you think the opposition feed off it?

Yh the final aggregate score was 5-0 but when they scored their first to make it 4-0 our fans will still singing here we go. Such EPL mentality that's creeping into our support, phones out at corners, penalties, people recording the full game on their phone like the match won't even get shown again! Supporters leaving on the 80th minute because we're cruising and have seen enough, best supporters in the world right enough.... Ajax needed 2 goals with 5 minutes left, you know how many empty seats there was? zilch, still there, still chanting.

4. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sorry but you got that wrong

The supporters needed the team from the first whistle

The support are always up for every game, too often our players only apply themselves 100% when needed late on , after going behind, or only in certain glamour matches' etc and while that is greatly appreciated why can't they give us that application and effort every game? they take the full salary every time but don't always show up

As per usual.. nobody will complain about us going out of europe but the performance that the players gave us

Hopefully the board can see what most of us already knew - we need to buy some quality players at the back.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I did notice there seemed to be an awful lot of nervous energy coming from the crowd yeah.. didn't help. Not that I blame the crowd for the performance.

6. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I live in Singapore but my dad has three Season tickets so when i visit i go to a few games, I am a moany * but there is this 15 stone guy in front of us, he talks like he is Pep Guardiola the amount of moaning he does, cant mind what game but we were 3-0 up and cruising, and this guy was still moaning, kept turning to us and trying to plead his case then hit out with the old “i played junior football and I could do this and that better than such and such”.

But mostly from where we sit it doesnt seem that bad a few moans and groans but nothing out of the ordinary.

blizzard bhoy and seanm like this.
  7. seanm

8. seanm

at the risk of being a parrot. ANY board member player staff or fan who voted tory can do one.the only good tory is a * dead tory. this isnt a reaction to a poor performance btw which it was. the passion of our fans is unbelievable.and until i die two up front dont care about the rest of the formation. our board stink. no vision except money for shareholders. like * smaug the dragon sitting literally on a pile of gold.our players are knackered .treble treble winners and running on empty at times.they need serious first team ready players in to help them.HH COYBIG. if i offended any tories then * good my work is done.

9. seanm

cant argue with that pal. bang on.HH

10. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them

And in my opinion that's why the atmosphere is *, people have an expectation of how the match should play out, and if we don't play well then it's the '* this, I'm not chanting until we score' attitude. The team has given us a treble treble, they've given more than enough success for supporters to get right behind them, even if things aren't looking good on the pitch. I agree with you that the football on display should be a lot better especially considering the ticket prices and the value of squad compared to theirs.

Lennon has to start calling out the board if he isn't happy with them, otherwise he can carry going on being Lawells puppet, they did however back him enough to get past Copenhagen- the manager playing a centre back out of position when there was a perfectly fit right back on the bench, another cb starting that has played 6 games all season and looked terrible in half of those games, starting a winger who has played 120 minutes in the past 2 months, making 1 sub in full game, take your pick.

bkk bhoy likes this.
  11. Mince.Charming

We used to create an atmosphere that would spur the team on to give that extra 10
    percent.
    Now it's moan and groan and sit in silence until we are entertained.
    It's the opposite of what our support was known for in these big games.

The games against the Huns now I really notice it.
    It obviously has a negative affect on the players. I don't think it's a coincidence that even under the rat, Murtys teams enjoyed playing at Parkhead and were coming away with draws and being the better team.
    If we don't score in 10 mins it's either silent and getting on the players backs with the Green Brigade singing in the background.

richardm, Gabriel and blizzard bhoy like this.
  12. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

It's a two way thing to be honest, of course the crowd is there to inspire the team and support them but the onus is on the team to give us something to cheer and get excited and make noise about. Conceding so soon after we scored really sucked a lot of enthusiasm out of it.
    Also, where I sit there were loads of big game hunters I've never seen before shouting and swearing and kicking seats etc whenever we misplaced a pass or lost the ball, which probably doesn't help matters.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Part of the pressure in playing for us.

Callum McGregor and Fontaine like this.
  14. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Celtic park can be toxic when things aren’t going our way. Always been like that.

15. JamesM09

The problem is home ties in European Football aren’t what they used to be, and Celtic are the only team that hasn’t realised that.

Referees relish going against the noise of the home crowd. Opposing teams play on the pressure and expectation on the home teams shoulders. Teams go away expecting a win and anticipate they’ll have less possession and adapt.

We go to away teams in knockout fixtures and are embarrassed to score, we’re afraid to win as though it’s something we shouldn’t do. If we go 1-0 up away from home we * it and ‘take’ a draw, which gives the * team a chance at beating us at home.

It’s happened exactly like that twice this season. We don’t learn.

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

Why the * did we play tsunami as well it's their song. Absolute riddy

MacEwan likes this.
  17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Don't start blaming the fans ffs, but maybe they would have helped in the dugout and maybe said to Lenny, but you really think Jozo is playing well? I is Brown really fit boss?

Every fan and their dug knew and who was going to cause the problem and how it would come about.

The players shat the bed. Last week they played Braga, and were restless and you all heard it, but instead of their player's going into a shell, the they won 3-2.

Fans, ffs.

Stop fannying about thinking your Barca with no * up top bar Ed who you hope can beat about 5 men.

18. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

The crowd is supposed to be the 12th man.

The 12th man needs to perform for 90 mins just as much as the 11 players on the pitch.

Fair play go the green brigade, but we should have been belting out Eddie's song at the start. He has already said it makes him want to play better, let's give him the chance too!

richardm and Mince.Charming like this.
  19. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

If that's true get that song to *.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I thought the atmosphere was a wee bit off but I think that fed off what was happening on the park. Missing chances, 2nd to the ball, not retaining possession. The same happened on the 29th. There was an ominous feel to the play.

When the penalty went in the stadium was bouncing, everyone in the South Stand was on their feet (which rarely happens) and then we inexplicably gift away another cheap goal from kamikaze play.

I didn't think the moaning and groaning was too bad to be honest. The players let us down with an unprofessional performance.