1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Channel 4 Programme

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stirfry999, Feb 22, 2020.

Discuss Channel 4 Programme in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

Lets not cast doubt on anyone claiming they were victims of these monsters, or girn about potential compensation payments. It's completely classless.

Different story if someone is PROVEN to be telling porkies, but otherwise, let their stories be heard without spouting baseless judgement.

Conlon and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Our union uses Thompson’s for any claim disputes, a mate of mines in work took a bad one and had to switch lawyers as they weren’t chasing his claim up. That for me tells you everything you need to know about their involvement in this.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. Jeremie Frimpong

Ignoring the ludicrous notion that financial compensation can in any way make amends for child abuse, why should innocent Celtic supporters be the ones to pay it?

4. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Having personal experience of abuse I do not find it hard to believe that he suppressed memories for many years until a particular event brought the whole thing back, even if the abuse had happened when he was 5, 8.or 13. Suppression of traumatic incidents is not uncommon. Indeed, it's what causes PTSD.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It’s the club and our lawyers who will deal with it. But it won’t be hunners eh millions like the huns think

6. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    Do you mean "pay for it" in a litteral or metaphoric sense ?

If litteral, then it happened at OUR club, we couldn't prevent it happening but we can try to make ammends.
    If yoy mean in a metophric sense, then we shouldn't have to pay for it. It's nothing to do with anyone currently involved with the club and that includes the supporters

7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

I don't think anyone is claiming that compensation makes it better but compensation has and will always be a part of justice. We should have done what Man City done before now and set up a fund, no admittance of liability, to help those affected by abuse from the boys Club.
    The findings of the investigation we commissioned needs to be made public, all of it, no matter what it says and the sooner the better.

ChrisMoh and King of Kings like this.
  8. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Not been able to watch the film but reading online some of the things that were reported.

Guy apparently points the finger at the SFA as these boys were not under contracts and therefore under duty of care of SFA

Celtic FC have said legal matters should be handled by those authorities and the perpetrators punished. If the courts find the club negligent then i am sure the club will pay any damages awarded in a court of law.

Channel 4 seem to want to focus on historic abuse rather than the current abuse & grooming gangs operating in the UK. Will they be making an expose special in the future dealing with THAT historical abuse?

The problem is bigger than football clubs, the catholic church or grooming gangs. All areas of social society are areas where predators operate. Sentencing needs to be increased and applied by the courts in every case.

Football clubs & associations cannot right the wrongs of the past - they can and will put safeguards in place to reduce the risk in future but Channel 4 will not be doing a follow up as that wont allow clickbait tweets etc.

I think there is only one club in the country who have thousands of posts regarding this subject on their forum boards ! other forums, including this one do have threads and people discuss the topic with respect and sorrow. If and when fans are asked to partake in the discussions, reforms and matters concerning child abuse then i am sure Celtic fans will be some of the first to get involved.

Like all other matters regarding the running of football the fans have little say, little power and very little voice. I honestly cant see that changing and until it does we are powerless to create the changes that football in the UK needs.

Would be interested to see the viewing figures broken down for this programme.

jpb and buchanbhoy like this.
  9. Jeremie Frimpong

I believe that it is inappropriate in cases like this.

You need only look at the number of false allegations made against high-profile individuals to see how corruptive it is. The false allegations are motivated solely by greed.

Moreover, criminals have paid off victims, escaped justice, and reoffended.

The repercussions of both are devastating.

I agree.

10. scootz

Ignoring that you're coming across as a whining *... financial compensation is a proven means of acknowledging and compensating for someones suffering, and assisting in their recovery. Being the victim of child abuse can result in a lifetime of significant mental suffering and that can lead to physical illness and a loss of social and professional development. Mental illness is just as real and debilitating as physical injury.

Sometimes you have to own your own * - no matter how repulsive it is.

If it's proven that Celtic FC was negligent in it's responsibilities to the youngsters, or * forbid, subsequently learned about this abomination and actively tried to keep the *-storm quiet, then the cheque book is going to have to come out. If that has an impact on our football, then so be it. Some things are more important than fitba!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    blackfish and buchanbhoy like this.
  11. Jeremie Frimpong

* up, *.

12. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Chill out guys.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  13. Jeremie Frimpong

I am calling for precisely that: individual responsibility.

No one at Celtic Football Club, from the boardroom to the stands, is responsible for those crimes though, are they?

If the victims want to seek financial compensation, they should take legal action against their abusers, rather than trying to fleece the innocent supporters who fund the Club because they stand to gain more from that.

That is fair enough, but I have already demonstrated above how money can be a corruptive force in these cases.

14. Celticbhoy17

For people who were alive in the 70s/80s... what the * was going on? Why was every institution accross the country full of predators and paedophiles and abusers?

We should accept responsibility and pay out 5 million or so to the victims. This happened under Celtic's name, Boy's Club or not and it is our responsibility to show that we stand with the victims and not with the abusers. Pay up Celtic. I'm pretty sure at this point this has been massively covered up and regrdless of whether anyone at the club now was involved or not, Celtic as an insitution is responsible. We need to be seen to apologise, show remorse and show respect to the victims. This trying to shift the blame or engaging in the scum-bag *-for-tat 'the huns did it too' defence is not on. This issue has been used by their support in the most disgusting and dehummanising way - we shouldn't lower ourselves to their standards by playing them at their own game.

We deal with what happened under our roof and try to make it as right as possible; they can atone for whatever may have happened under theirs. One thing is sure: there was widescale abuse going on and it's not good enough to just blame the individual perpetrators when it is clear that this was an instituitional problem.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Whether its inappropriate or not Mate its the way it is in the eyes of the law. There are plenty of examples of individuals having to pay for the past crimes/misdeeds of others/A Company, this could be one of those times. To try and wash our hands of this, imo, is morally wrong.

Yes there has been numerous examples of folk chancing their arm however we need to take this at face value. So I would be very hesitant to start talking about folk looking to make a few quid out of something like this just now.
    Whatever criminals have or haven't done previously is irrelevant - it's what we do now that matters.

Aye the investigation will hopefully make things clearer but tbh I don't think it will make for comfortable reading for us.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  16. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    So you're a fan of the old guilty until proven innocent method of justice ....that's a new one .

17. scootz

Absolutely not. I'm discussing matters as it relates to the circumstances of this case. We know that there were a handful of monsters abusing young lads at the Boys Club... and most have either been found guilty, or have admitted their guilt.

I'm not discussing the 'assumption of guilt' in general.

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sfa release statement saying no mention of compensation will be in their report channel 4 sensationalising the report eh!

19. Jeremie Frimpong

Without doubt.

- Martin Henry, chairman of the Independent Review into Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football

20. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Celtic are meant to be a charitable club, whether the boys club was a separate or not is irrelevant. Celtic hired and fired at the boys club, they shared our colours and were printed in our club magazine. We should do what Chelsea did and put a few million in a pot and pay some compensation to the victims.