1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Exactly 1 year ago.....

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Feb 24, 2020.

Discuss Exactly 1 year ago..... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    We were an embarrassment away from home in Europe with him barring Anderlecht away.

Even then we were fortunate to be 1-0 up at half time in that game

2. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    100%... Rodgers is only interested in his own reputation....risk of losing the league to an ex player would ruin his career..it was probably the best for us at the time as from and results were not that convincing at that time.
    First real challenge and he * off ...the players he brought in were mostly crap...glad he went when he did TBH.

Wasn't sure at all about Lenny replacing him but he's definitely improved us since Rodgers left...and he had too.

3. dmccourt95

I wonder if he is deluded enough to come back thinking he won’t be booed

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He started acting the * cos he never got considered for Arsenal . That was before the McGinn saga. He also threatened to walk if Boyata was sold cos his eejit of a pal couldn't find replacements. He treated Dembele like * anaw. Tried to force him out the January before to * Brighton. Then wanted to take him to China. Then told him to go to Lyon but changed his mind cos LC couldn't get a replacement. It was toxic last summer and I dont care what anyone says it was his fault. All because he wasnt on Arsenals shortlist. The football in his 2nd and 3rd seasons wasnt great either

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Worst league start that last season in 27 years I'm sure. If he had that start this year we would certainly be in trouble.

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    1) I feel the same as I did before he ever joined us: not much. He's clearly an outstanding manager and a bit of a bullshitter all in one. Genuinely don't wish him well or ill.

2) He's an incredible coach. The first problem is that at some point during that second season, he clearly stopped caring. We declined badly for about a year. He did pick up again and we started to improve after the spanking at Ibrox, probably because it must have bruised his ego; but then he jumped on the first ship that passed.

The second problem is insisting we employ his mate Congerton. Given how he always seems to get a job wherever Rodgers is working, I wonder if he (Rodgers) doesn't have it in his contract or something. At any rate, while an EPL club can afford to miss out on prospects and buy experienced talent, I don't think we should underestimate how much that lack of investment damages a club with our model. For a club with our standards, that hand-scribbled note is just embarrassing. Something you'd expect from a diddy club like Kilmarnock or St Mirren. If Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen did that, I'd genuinely be appalled and embarrassed for them, let alone Celtic.

3) It isn't over yet. It's already up there in that ballpark; but whether it actually matches it depends on whether we can go even further in Europe on Thursday and pick up the Scottish Cup. If (big if!) we can do both those things, then yes it does for me.

4) We can't really invite Ronny without inviting Rodgers and I want Ronny to be there. So yes, if it happens (another big if!), I want Rodgers to receive an invite.

I'm convinced he won't come though. He won't be the centre of attention, Lenny will (again, if it happens). That's not a sly dig at Rodgers either, I honestly can't imagine his ego letting him come.

5) No, I wanted Lenny unless Rafa was available (which I knew was very unlikely). He proved last time he was a competent coach and I was excited by his incredible ability to spot and develop players. I also knew he would be humble enough to learn from and continue the best of what Rodgers set up here.

Having said that, I thought (and still think) that the way it was announced was a sly one from Lawwell. It's also worth acknowledging that although I wanted him and was sure he'd do a good job, he's really surprised me with just how good he's been.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Dembele was Ronny's spot. Eddy and Ntcham were probably Lawwell's. Sinclair, I'll give him.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

1. Rodgers - Great coach, he took us to another level especially with players already at the club. Was poor in the transfer window and a mixed bag in Europe had a real inferior/defeatist attitude at times when we came up against superior opposition in the CL. His pressers before those games used to drive me nuts, giving up before a ball was kicked, must have transferred to the players. Always felt as if he thought he was doing us a massive favour in managing is, all about him and his ego. However, domestically he knew how to prepare us for those big games, never been so confident going to Hampden than under him. Psychologically made Hampden a second home. And that legacy remains.. Could have left with good wishes at the end of last season having written himself into the legend of the club, instead ruined that forever. He’s lucky Lenny has done so well.
    2. About the time 2016-2019 when he was in charge - Took us to another level but terrible transfer windows left us with a big rebuild, especially defensively.
    3. Has the season 19/20 excited you more than the double treble or treble treble season - I’m interested is seeing what happens if we get past Copenhagen, favourable draw we could get last 8 or 4 even. Also the Huns are a lot stronger under Gerrard and were a slight threat this season, this makes it even sweeter. If we can deliver 9IAR and another treble and get last 4/8 in EL, it will be my best season as a Celtic supporter. Seeing a 9IAR might even make that in any case..:shamrock:
    4. If we get the 10 would you welcome Rodgers back for the celebrations if Celtic wanted all 3 managers there? Aye why not..:56:
    5. Did you jump the gun with Lenny appointment spitting dummy out? Didn’t want him initially but as soon as he was made manager backed his m 100%. I’m honestly delighted for him and us, still work to be done tho.

:lenny2::treble:

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

1. Weasel.
    2. Fantastic time to be a Celtic fan.
    3. It's as exciting - a quadruple Treble and a long run in Europe would top all 3 prior seasons.
    4. No.
    5. Little bit - wasn't as strong with my opinions as some but definitely had reservations which have since been found to have been incorrect. His style of football has vastly improved from the tail end of his first stint IMO. His change of formation in January has literally won us the league.

10. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Most definitely.....when you look back especially his European record and the lack of competition in the league he was no great shakes.

11. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Lennys the real deal, he's no need to gild the lily like Rodgers, we all know Lenny is a true Celt..making his own history

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This for me as well.

As soon as he walked out the door that was it. We move on.

Dont care if he comes back for any potential 10 celebrations either tbh. I dont think it would necessarily be a good idea though. But like it or not his time here contributed massively to it.

Rydo1888*, Keano88 and Whoflungdung like this.
  13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

1. I honestly dont care anymore, maybe cause it's worked out fine for us in the end, but I no longer bare that grudge.

2. It was a fantastic time. Unprecedented success domestically. Great memories of skelping the huns too

3. It's hard to tell before it's over. Get past Copenhagen, win another treble and itll eclipse the past 2 seasons. Not invincible though, that'd take an amazing Europa run. Lazio games were phenomenal though.

4. I don't think it would be wise, alot of people still hate him, could sour what should be a completely joyous occasion. Ronny roars all round.

5. I'm struggling to remember but I think I was a bit underwhelmed without being too critical of it. Hes a good manager. Better than he ever has been actually, and long may it continue

14. Sydneysider

1 Don't hate him.
    2. I was always confident with him as Boss. Great time to be a Tic fan.
    Briefly sad when he went but there you go !
    3. Loving it ! we are on a roll and its brilliant,
    4. Yes. It would be churlish not to acknowledge his part in what has been a wonderful period for Tic fans.
    5. Always liked and admired Lenny, I was happy to see him back home ! he deserves all the plaudits he gets ( even if he only gets them mainly from us) and the filth hate him - icing on the cake really.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  15. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

John Kennedy can represent the coaching staff from that period if we get 10. The only celtic manager to walk out on the club during a season, when a very important job still needed finished, is never again welcome at paradise imo and his presence there could sour what should be a joyous occasion.

16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

* The Rat!

Anybody that downplays what he done or the nick he left this team in, needs a slap and some sense knocked into them.

Only guy to ever walk out on us midseason, some going for a dyed in the wool Tim. I’d honestly put money on him never being at a Celtic game in his life before he was manager here.

Tranny *, egocentric little *.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    My opinion of Rodgers is poor and that won't change, but I enjoyed the team's success while he was in charge and his departure and the manner in which it happened will never taint that success for me. I'm enjoying this season a lot more than last season, in terms of the football. I didn't want Lennon to be appointed but I always said I still thought he was a good manager, I just think at the time I fancied us taking a fresh approach. Delighted to be wrong about that.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    1. about Rodgers - dont care much for him now. Was a good coach but a naive one and doesnt realise his limitations.

2. About the time 2016-2019 when he was in charge - dominant domestically, but found wanting time and time again defensively in europe.

3. Has the season 19/20 excited you more than the double treble or treble treble season -
    I thought until the winter break it looked like being a closely run title race, but the way they have fallen away has been extraordinary.

4. If we get the 10 would you welcome Rodgers back for the celebrations if Celtic wanted all 3 managers there? The fans wouldnt welcome him back. It wasnt that he left, it was the way he left.

5. Did you jump the gun with Lenny appointment spitting dummy out? Stated from the outset that he took over a mess from us before and left us stronger. He builds good teams and he is a born winner. He wasnt one of the high profile names but he knows the club inside out and has gotten us as far in europe as any other manager in recent times.

19. StevieBhoooy!

1. about Rodgers Never want to se him at CP again - if he’s sensible he will stay away.
    2. About the time 2016-2019 when he was in charge. he had huge resources , Lenny would have achieved same
    3. Has the season 19/20 excited you more than the double treble or treble treble season.
    :34:

4. If we get the 10 would you welcome Rodgers back for the celebrations if Celtic wanted all 3 managers there?

Hopefully in May 2021 (or whenever the celebration is) Mr Rodgers will be busy. Better still his invite is lost in the post. Better still , he isn’t invited.

Ive said before on the BR thread that when the contributing coaching staff are lined up on the pitch I’d rather have a small mound of horse-* between Ronny and Lenny to represent him. He did his bit when there but was paid handsomely and had maximum resources to get trebles. Lying to us and leaving mid season (and it wasn’t such a commanding position as he likes to suggest) was not only unforgivable but showed us that it was always about Brendan Plc.

Ronny Deila gets more respect and appreciation from me because he kept the run going at a time when the board were reigning in funds and crowds were low. It could easily have come apart. In fact he’d have done a treble himself if not for the usual ‘Scottish refereeing’.

I’d actually invite Wim Jansen along and put him in a big throne in the centre circle..

If he hadn’t won us the league in 1998 then (assuming it happens ) there would/will be no celebration of TIAR. We would be waiting another year or two to do 11 or 12.

The man who stopped oldhuns getting to their cheating 10 is just as important as the ones who helped get us ours.

Canny wait !

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

1. I can appreciate he’s a talented coach. But he’s a snake * and that’s the bottom line. Don’t care about him anymore, see him pop up on telly in his Leicester tracky and I feel nothing.

2. Obviously fantastic. But it’s players and moments I remember like Scotty, Moussa, Paddy etc.

3. It feels like there’s more of a challenge (was anyway), which is making it exciting. Some unbelievable football too.

4. I think booing is pathetic. If he was there I wouldn’t welcome him. I think silence when he’s announced would be far more poignant than boos.

5. Yes but my issue was the way they done it.