1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Thought Fury looked amazing at the weigh in. That's when I knew for sure he was going to best Wilder, although the stoppage came earlier than I thought and even then, the stoppage came later than it should have.

littlekennie likes this.
  2. Darnok

It isn't a fight though, it is a pretty restricted sport. Your analogy doesn't work either as according to the rules, you can win a boxing match on points, you can't win a football match by keeping possession of the ball.

Past that, your way of judging could have a guy winning every single round of a contest by every metric, but lose because he got knocked down in a momentary slip of concentration (which is almost what happened in the first fight); you would have a sport of people just trying to land big shots instead of using the full spectrum of skills available. It would be less of a sport than it is now. The points system has its flaws, but it is better than scoring a 36 minute match on the basis of knockdowns. I actually like the Thais' scoring system where they only score the 3,4 and 5 rounds, and usually award it to the fighter who is looking stronger in the last round, but then you have the trade off that the first two rounds can be uneventful. Pride also had a decent scoring system, but close matches could be difficult to judge as an entirety.

Raoul Duke and Spring Time like this.
  3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Sums it up nicely.

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Guys just bitter it’s common knowledge the yanks struggle to produce any contenders now because big guys can make a rich living playing basketball American football without sacrificing getting hit in the face main reason why in recent years the smaller weights got more popular and more press with guys like mayweather Crawford canelo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steg likes this.
  5. scootz

Holy *! Just read that some Bookies were offering 30/1 on a Fury win!

That’s * madness - I’m no gambler, but I’d have had a bit of that if I’d seen it pre fight.

The Oddsmakers involved need to step away from boxing!

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    One of the most mental thing's I've ever read..

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    One of the best heavyweight performances I’ve seen.

Doesn’t even feel like there’s much to say about that fight because of how conclusive it was and how inevitable it seemed from early on. He outboxed Wilder, he beat him up on the outside and manhandled him on the inside.

He’s beaten him twice now and a third fight would be utterly pointless. Time to go take care of that other big dosser back home.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    They might/probably will take that third fight at some point in the future but I can't see it being an immediate rematch..

I also don't think they'll ever really want any of Fury again....even if it does go ahead. Fury has boxed the ears off him first time and battered him forcing a stoppage in the second. He's been made to look terrible (and even more basic than he already is) due to Fury's superior talent..

I said earlier I think that defeat will be damaging for Wilder moving forward. Can see him losing to other's out-with Fury now without a doubt..

Showed champion's heart but was a beaten man well before the stoppage. He looked feart for me..

King of Kings likes this.
  9. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Was this on BT Sport PPV? They did a good highlights vid on youtube after the other fight. Wondering if/when that will be out for this one?

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
  11. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

:56::56:.

Aye Muhammad Ali was an imposter, all those points wins.

Take it you've never boxed mate.

12. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

One of the best performances from Fury and one of the worst showings from Wilder. Rag-dolled, made the first fight look like a war in comparison.

Wilder didn't look like a heavyweight in there with Fury, totally bullied.

Joshua-Fury is arguably now one of the biggest fights in history.

Fontaine likes this.
  13. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Was just about to post my tuppence, but in a nutshell.....what you said!

Never seen that coming, brilliant from the big fella.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  14. celtic warrior

Result of this fight was never in doubt after the draw in the first.

What is surprising of course, is the method of victory, christ alive Fury just toyed with the *.

littlekennie likes this.
  15. scootz

Not sure I can agree - the big guys have been making huge bucks in Basketball and American Football for decades now...

16. steg

Wilder looked terrible because Fury didn’t allow him to do anything and like a few have said it seemed as though that perforated eardrum/ concussion ruined him early doors.

As for a trilogy fight I think he has to take it. He has thirty days or it’s gone contractually. And here’s the real issue. Where else does he get that level of money? He’s 34/35. He needs to be cashing out at this point.

So even if he doesn’t think he will win it will be something he does for his family’s future. Remember he has a young daughter with a degenerative condition which costs a lot and I think another seven kids. He needs to put food on the table.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    im ten pages back , before I read any further , is there a replay stream lads ?
    BE NICE !!!!! nae spoilers if there is . pm please if there is one or I will come back to read the rest later , thanks .

18. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Check your pm's mate.

Scotia likes this.
  19. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Will he take it though? Outboxed in fight 1. Slapped about in fight 2. He's out his depth and might be better taking a tune up fight first and try challenge again - best case scenario.

You're right with Wilders age though, about to turn 35 and although he's still a name, he's just not worth the risk for the little money he'll generate for other fighters. Honestly, the guys damaged goods. High risk, for little reward for fighters outside of the top 3.

Would not be surprised to see him fade out into obscurity...

20. celtic warrior

Aye and let's not ignore the big elephant around American football at the moment regarding CTE.

Heavyweight divison of boxing worldwide was on the decline when Lennox Lewis was lineal champ.

scootz likes this.