1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Midfield

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ArturBorucCSC, Feb 18, 2020.

Discuss Our Midfield in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Should Brown be one of the first names on the teamsheet? It must be remembered than when he was out last season, we played some of our best football with a midfield of McGregor, Christie and Rogic. Throw Ntcham into the mix and we could have a midfield with an amazing mix of athleticism and techinical ability. I'd love to see what kind of damage a midfield of McGregor, Christie and Ntcham would do.

I know this is kind of redundant as Lenny won't drop Brown, but hey, what's a football forum for if not talk of football?

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There are some games where we could rest Brown, Clyde being the most recent example in my opinion. He definitely needs to play in big games, so keeping him fresh for them would be advantageous for us, I feel. However, from interviews and videos he's often mentioned as the fittest/one of the fittest in the squad, so I suppose we've got to trust that he and the manager know his limits and capabilities.

I'd guess that Brown himself knows that as he's at the tail end of his playing career, he wants to be involved in as many games as possible, so there may come a point where the manager needs to take that decision. I'm not sure if that'll be next season or further ahead.

JML67 likes this.
  3. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Long term we have to be looking at our midfield evolving without Broonie. My hope is that Soro could be pivotal in that. Not holding my breath though, based solely on guys like Kouassi and Shved's situation.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Frimpong contradicts that a bit. When he was brought in, I doubt many expected him to have the impact he's had so far, so if Soro is good enough, I'm sure he'll get a chance at some point.

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The problem is that Brown is consistently very good. The players seem to like and respect him. A leader on the park is pivotal. We've been waiting for Brown to fall due to age, reality is he is still playing great. Soro will only get a look in if he gets injured. Even then there is competition.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Yes.

/thread

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    True, I'm guessing that's why Soro was brought in. Hopefully he makes it.

8. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    You say that now, but if we had to go with McGregor and Christie with Ntcham or Rogic in front of them, would you complain? It's a wonderful headache to have.

9. Jeremie Frimpong

No. A defensive midfielder like Brown is redundant much of the time against weaker domestic opposition.

He still has a lot to offer, but he should only start when he is playing well, and when we require someone to perform the role that he performs (like every other player).

10. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    How can he play well if he doesn't start?

11. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    He 100% should be.... Look at our last Game for instance. Him and Jullien were the only 2 with pass marks for me. Been the case a ,lot of games where we have ground out or even been beat, The term 'only Broony' being used over and over in post match reviews.
    BUT... he does not need to start ALL the games, The likes of St Mirren, St Johnston, Ross County he shouldbe on the nech. Hes getting Auld

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  12. Jeremie Frimpong

How does any player stake a claim for a place in the starting XI?

He is in the starting XI now on merit, but if and when his form declines, someone else should take his place.

Managers have (understandably) been reluctant to drop him in the past because of his leadership qualities. He has played through injury and poor form when we should really have had someone capable of stepping in and performing his role competently.

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  13. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Also... Against better teams what Strong commanding midfielder do we have to replace him RIGHT NOW!

Christie & Rogic are CAM's and cant do the defensive work.
    McGregor and Ntcham can play further back but still attacking players.

With us playing 3 at the back we need one of our midfielders defending and we just would not be able to operate like that with 3 of the 4 above starting in the centre.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

All fantastic footballers with their own unique skillsets but so does Broony. His leadership qualities, organisation and drive are a massive part of why we are successful.

Look at the game on the 29th, he was one of the only players on the park to come off with any credit. Refusing to go down without a fight.

He is constantly communicating with the team, keeping them focused & motivated. I posted this in the Bolingoli thread but I was at the Clyde game and at 3-0 Boli had drifted infield and switched off when we were in possession, Broony chastised him and told him to spread wide onto the touchline. That's what he gives you, refusing to let the standards slip even in a game that we were commanding. Which is exactly why we have won 10 trophies in a row and manager after manager have him as a mainstay in the team.

He doesn't get the credit he's due. Some of his performances this season have been a masterclass.

15. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

We rely on Brown too much, desperately need Soro to be able to do his job. In an ideal world we have someone better than Brown to walk into the team, do his job and improve us. Easier said than done..

I think while we are experimenting with 3 at the back, we should try a diamond instead of an extra striker. Harsh on Griff, but we are stacked with quality midfielders.

Brown
    Christie -- McGregor
    Ntcham

McGregor
    Christie ---- Ntcham
    Elyounoussi

Brown
    Ntcham -- McGregor
    Rogic
    Reckon systems like that with Forrest/Bolingoli wide and Edouard the focal point would cause havoc, especially in home games.

16. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I rate Christie's defensive side, wouldn't consider him a 'CAM' really. Box to box for me.

17. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Same for me. He's a proper number 8.

18. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Just not physical enough for me like. I can see the Box To Box side of his game as he has some work rate and will track back, but Christie sitting in there without brown on the park in Europe or domestically against Aberdeen, Hibs or away to a team on a plastic pitch....
    I see where you are coming from, but focusing on the idea of Brown not being in the starting XI

19. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Brown is still playing at an incredible level. He doesn't need to be 'dropped' but maybe his game time could be managed better and that will allow us to have him at that level for longer. Don't think anyone in their right mind could deny he is still our driving force, but the day will come when we won't have him.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Agree with this. Christie is great going forward but his tracking back and ball winning is strong.

Keano88 and TESLA like this.