1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Refereeing Bias

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Feb 16, 2020.

Discuss Refereeing Bias in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    My opinion on this has never changed.

I believe that in split second decision making situations, it is natural for anyone to give a decision which favours themselves.

Im not sure of the current percentage, but throughout history it is widely thought that the larger percentage of referees were from "their" side. Some books give interesting info on stats etc.

Given that, it is highly likely that we have more Hun supporting officials, than not. Therefore we would receive fewer split second decisions in our favour.

If you look at games against the huns in particular, not many can argue that we are on the wrong end of the big decisions.

My opinion is that there are individual referees that intentionally give decisions against us, or for them.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Pretty much nail on head and ends this entire conversation.

However, let's indulge a little more!

It's something I have been meaning to 'research' in to a little more myself, but never get around to doing it. Best to do it as a season progresses, but a retrospective look could take place.
    One would need to look at it in one of two ways;
    1. assume the premise that the refs are not biased and then just systematically count up fouls committed, cards dealt out and see which side gets the rub of the green (no pun meant) or which side is deemed more harshly effected, from complete random and unbiased nature - ie who gets more cards to foul ratios etc.
    2. We assume we are correct and that the refs are predominately of a masonic background and they do work within a secret handshake fashion, we then need to look at key decisions that either favour us/them that heavily influence a result, this could be fouls, red cards, penalties, extended game times etc. Or decisions that actually go against a club that in turn is designed to favour one of us.

As a whole, I firmly believe the refs really are just * *. As OP says, how can both sides really argue they are against us in an other wise nonbiased way. However for me there is also the added addition that the refs do have a known leaning. It's human nature that if you are a supporter/fan of something, that you are either going to be biased towards it (console fanboys for one) or you are going to try and do your utmost to prove your NOT biased to the known side you grew up on, and actually become biased against the very thing - take pretty much 80% of former Celtic players turn pundit - yes you Commons.

I haven't, nor will I at this present time look in to stats, but lets remember this little thing - Andrew Dallas, son of Hugh Dallas who is a known Rangers man and was sacked from a job for sectarian emails, last season awarded four (4) penalties in one game to the huns, followed in his next(or soon after) two(2) penalties in another game. Clear as day that he wouldn't be questioned as being biased against the huns, but just this month he was in charge of the Aberdeen Hun game that was a 0-0 draw and the hun support on the back of it claimed Dallas needed investigated because he was a "* *" for not giving them favourable decisions.

Andrew Dallas, claimed not to be one of them - next they will tell us Beaton doesn't drink in a hun pub after matches he has refereed in.

edit: And was it not the bold Willie Collum that gave THEM a penalty for their player running in to big Majstorovic while the ref was looking the other way, only for him to realise something had happened and awarded a penalty? Collum who last season got hounded from being an official at a hun game because Gerrard cried loud enough in the first day of the job claiming he was against the huns.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    So many good posts in here but this is spot on..

To be honest I'd be the exact same..

For all we slag Dallas jnr and * me he deserves it.....you have to question why a son of a former shamed official has been fast-tracked from junior's in the first place..

4. saltire78

Because whataboutery is one of humanity's oldest and most effective defenses... if a team have a legitimate complaint and you can invalidate it or obscure it with your own 'tragedies' about them you tear their argument down. It's only effective when you have a complicit media/audience who won't question the data behind. That's why it works for them, but our own complaints are 'attacks on the game'