1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Caroline Flack

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by PaulM1888, Feb 15, 2020.

Discuss Caroline Flack in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. gandolf

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc and Mick
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    Such a waste of a young life. The only story i knew about was the attack on her boyfriend. I know nothing about bullying from tabloids.

was there so much mental illness before Facebook/Twitter? I can’t get my head round all the things I’m reading online, surely if this girl was ill and in a fragile state she would stay away from social media and the media.

I can’t understand why there is so much anger towards the red tops for printing a story. If someone can point me in the direction of the harassment/bullying

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Excellently put and 100% correct.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No just the tabloids fault to be fair. Her ex said he * off to the other side of the world and slated * out of how she was when the story broke of her attacking the current boyfriend and how he wasn't surprised....lucky escape etc etc..

4. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Terrible shame .

Wonder would there be the same outpouring of grief if gender roles were reversed.

Just goes to show how dangerous your mind can be.
    What must have been going through this woman's mind lately is scary .

buchanbhoy likes this.
  5. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    The media did give her a hard time but others have had worse and not resorted to suicide.
    The poor girl clearly had mental health issues that were overlooked because she was seen as a successful “celebrity”.

Sydneysider likes this.
  6. Moustache

Sad news.

I'm not condoning what she was alleged to have done, which did sound pretty bad, but the media (particulary, to the suprise of absolutely no one, the Sun) has a lot to answer for. Reporting on the initial incident and the court case is what it is, but near daily articles designed to tarnish and humiliate, for what was ultimately a private matter, is another thing entirely.

If the tabloids felt it necessary to continually report on the situation, they would have been better served doing something productive and trying to highlight the issue of domestic abuse (in all forms) whilst allowing Caroline Flack's situation be dealt with by the courts and/or therapy. Instead, we got gossip column fodder and another tragic lesson in the struggles people face with mental health. As an aside, why certain people in the industry and/or media thought it was appropriate to joke about a domestic abuse situation is beyond me.

Sadly, I doubt few, if any, lessons will be taken from this. If history hasn't already shown us that, a quick look on the social media accounts of the usual suspects show that they have absolutely no intention of changing. They're already trying to pass the blame on to the CPS, Love Island, ITV etc. who, by and large, were pretty much following standard procedure. These rags and shows that provide platforms to the harrassment & bullying of individuals won't change unless they're forced to, and I certainly won't hold my breath waiting for that.

Although I appreciate that the circumstances are different, this story reminds of the nurse who killed herself after she fell for the prank call when Kate Middleton was in hospital. The media wasn't content with the initial story, so we got multiple articles dedicated to analysing the situation, detailing her personal life and ultimately to humiliate her. Even their precious Royal Family isn't safe from it as we've seen with Prince Harry (someone who has repeatedly spoken out regarding his mental health struggles) and Meghan Markle.

They exploit, they scurtinise and they humiliate and when something tragic does happen, as we've seen here, we get a few days of faux-sympathy and then they move on to their next target.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Mental illness was always here big chap, whether folk recognised this before Facebook, Twitter and all the other pedestals is irrelevant.

Yes, if she was Ill she should have stayed away from the media etc...only thing is, when you are not ill this is perfectly sensible but unfortunately she was ill so didn't take the sensible action. If only this behaviour had an oxymoron!

packybhoy, Montero and seanm like this.
  8. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Mick, it's at this moment you drop the mic! Spot on.

seanm likes this.
  9. seanm

bang on great post.HH

10. TheHappyLoss

Especially if the press decide they are going after you

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Bingo!

12. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song

Brilliant post .
    I hope the media are proud of their contribution in this tragic event .

13. Jeremie Frimpong

I admittedly know little about the incident in question, and I in no way want to diminish the seriousness of domestic abuse against men, but it would clearly have been more serious if he had physically assaulted her (he is a 6'4" tennis player; she was a 5'2" television presenter).

14. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Is that relevant? I thought she allegedly hit him with a lamp on the head while he was asleep to start with & that can kill anyone. Below is the bed that he was apparently in at the time.

[​IMG]

15. Jeremie Frimpong

I never knew about the lamp, or that he was asleep at the time, but, generally (not in that instance), the physical differences between the people involved is important, yes.

16. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

It shouldn't be, otherwise a bigger guy being attacked by a smaller guy would be important. Attacking someone is all that should matter
    in cases, especially where any item is used as a weapon.

17. Jeremie Frimpong

There is clearly a difference between a physically weaker person attacking a physically stronger person, and vice-versa - to pretend otherwise is silly. A weapon obviously changes that dynamic.

18. Jeremie Frimpong

Edit: I don't want to derail the thread.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The entire point is, it was going to Trial. If it was found subject to that Trial that she did indeed * him over the head with a lamp whilst he was sleeping and caused him serious harm then that was the time to call her an abuser and label whatever else at her. Not months and weeks before it when what we know had been spoon fed by scum newspapers.

Considering the guy who got * over the head with the lamp changed his tune less than 24 hours later suggests that in all likelihood it was a drunken argument between a boyfriend and girlfriend in the early hours of the morning that takes place up and down the country every weekend. Only difference being the men and women doing that aren’t famous therefore the gutter press can’t sell papers or gain clicks off the back of it.

Slaw likes this.
  20. dmccourt95

* wow at the * who’ve slaughtered her then acting aw sympathetic. I cannot wait for tabloid press in this country to die