1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There he’s there, * Scarface himself :56:

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Like I said in my original response -

Whatever you say Paul, whatever you say :giggle1:

PaulM1888 likes this.
  3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :56:

4. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah don't get me wrong, it's the fight I want to see next for Canelo. The comment is bizarre for a boxing pundit though, Canelo is clearly in his prime and hasn't even hit 30.

Smith was poor against Ryder, if neither get the Canelo fight this time it would be interesting to see them face off and winner goes for Canelo.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  5. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Some knockout from Garcia, hand speed is unbelievable. In the ring with Devin Haney after the fight, no way De La Hoya makes that fight anytime soon.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

:56:

Just watched BT documentary on Fury and Wilder, 'Fury round 12 resurrection' or something like that it was called, was class, got me buzzing like * for next week.
    It's on youtube, defo recommend it

McChiellini.. and TheHappyLoss like this.
  8. Nasser

I will probably get sick of it because no doubt it will get shown all the time but it's a great advert

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The advert. The promotion. The docs..

Everything about this fight build up has been next level for me..

I'm buzzing out my * for it..

10. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Wilder round 8 - 16/1
    Wilder round 9 - 16/1

Wilder rounds 9 to 12 is 5/1

Would love big Tyson to win, but just cannot see it.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Wilder will have the wildcard of his big right hand from the first minute to the last but, seriously, on boxing terms there literally should be only 1 winner.

He schooled him whilst still overweight on his comeback fight. And by schooled I mean genuinely schooled. He made him look like a schoolboy at times from round 1 to 12.

12. Nasser

This is good as well, Andre Ward tries not to laugh but fails when Fury mocks Wilders boxing ability.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Andre Ward is one of the best for no licking * as a pundit over there..

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Buzzing for Saturday, the promo over in the States for this has been absolutely huge. Next to nothing here in comparison.

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I genuinely believe Tyson when he says he's going to knock Deontay out. Come on the Gypsy King.

16. scootz

It's a 50/50 call. Tyson on points / late stoppage, or Wilder via grenade at any point.

I think it needs to be a really competitive fight for Fury to prevail - if he boxes Wilders head off with ease, then he's got a real chance of doing what he's done many times before in his career - thinking it's all over and getting clipped. And there's getting clipped and then there's getting clipped... Wilder does the latter! Fury's head needs to be FULLY occupied at all times in that ring.

17. scootz

Speaking of Wilders power... it's all in the way he throws his big shots. Like a kid in a schoolyard!

Zero technique - he loads up, reaches back to the bleachers and swings with everything he's got. His accuracy is hellish - usually missing wildly - and when he does land, his wide erratic arc means he often catches the opponent with the palm area of the glove. It's very *... but it's worked pretty well for the big skinny lad. That in itself maybe speaks volumes about the 'level' of the current heavyweight crop as I really don't see any of the acknowledged Greats being troubled by it. Look at Earnie Shavers for evidence - another scrapper with an ENORMOUS punch. He was a pain in the * for the elite, but he could never count himself amongst them. And to be fair to Shavers the rest of his arsenal was pretty heavy-duty too - Wilders isn't!

Most people on the planet can generate huge power with haymakers like these, but most educated boxers wouldn't dream of using that type of shot as their primary (only!?) weapon - they box with measured restraint using the techniques they've honed over the years. And if they did fancy throwing a haymaker of their own, it would deployed as part of a last-chance fight-winning salvo or as a coup de grâce.

I suspect the hardest puncher ever was probably Foreman - every jab, hook, uppercut, and cross was sickeningly powerful. Ask him to throw a right hand the way that Wilder does (he rarely did in the ring, but I'd seen him do it on the heavy-bag) and - if it landed - it would probably resemble a 'fatality finish' in Mortal Kombat. I remember him throwing such a shot against Holyfield, and despite me being a huge George fan, I was actually glad it missed the target as it was apocalyptic! I genuinely winced as the glove flew past Holyfields head.

Anyway - looking forward to the rematch. Hope it's just as entertaining, so there are no losers.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There’s definitely something in the poor technique and * angles he throws from but then Fury himself benefits from being unorthodox in his defence as well. That’s why the fight is so intriguing.

I think Fury can knock him out, it wouldn’t be by 1 single concussive blow but he has more than enough in his hands to take Wilder or anyone else out of there. The portrayal of him as having pillow hands is a lot of *, it’s just relative to a guy in Wilder that does have that one punch destructive blow in him.

That being said, the safe money will be on a Fury points win for me. I can’t see how he doesn’t get better as he’s more fit with no ring rust. Only negative from then to now is the mess his eye was in only months ago, hopefully doesn’t become a factor.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I can see a fitter Fury boxing the heid aff him, he won the last fight imo even though he had been out the game for ages. The one leveller is that big bomb from Wilder, that said he took it last time and astonishingly got back up.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Yep, also buzzing like * for saturday. BT's promotion of this has been first class, best I've ever seen for a big fight tbh, then throw in Fox/PBC stuff, it's got the juices flowing.
    Genuinely think there's a good chance Fury can and will stop him around 9-10. Wilder will get tired and open himself up .. just hope Fury stays switched on and no matter how much he's coasting he doesn't start showboating and switch off.

lespaul and PaulM1888 like this.