1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Patryk Klimala

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jan 14, 2020.

Discuss Patryk Klimala in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Trequartista

Hard for anyone to make their debut in such a game, all things considered. He made a brilliant run but missed a good chance. As has been said, be interesting to see how he plays in a partnership. Early days yet so we shall see.

2. JamesM09

I would say Edouard was ready by the time we bought him in the summer and we knew that, hence why we paid so much. During the loan he probably wasn’t but we still had Dembele at that point.

It’s all hypothetical just now but assuming Eddy does go for big money, we should be spending a significant chunk of that on a young striker that’s playing well somewhere. Someone around the cost of £9m and highly rated, not a bargain chase.

Ideally we would’ve already brought someone in on loan like we did with Eddy (Weah looked like the continuation of that model) but obviously we haven’t.

Honestly I think Klimala will do well here but the worry is he is intended as Edouard’s replacement. We’ll need to wait and see but the board have previous for shortchanging us on Strikers when we need them.

3. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Edouard was still rough around the edges when we bought him. Delighted we pushed the boat out for him. At the time though, we can't forget that people raised their eyebrows at the price. I was one of them. Thought £9m was too much.

I think people are forgetting what he was like because of short term memory. He's on another planet now. Even compared to last season.

When Edouard goes, I'd expect us to get another striker. I don't think Klimala is his direct replacement. We needed another striker in this window, we got one.

4. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He may go on to become a excellent striker for Celtic but I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed with him yesterday. When he went through 1 on 1 with the keeper, you just thought right let’s see what you can do....he * it.

Dan Breen likes this.
  5. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Thought his movement looked decent, few times he could of been played in. Team mates probably don't quite know his runs yet.

Doesn't look like he would replace Edouard, which is pretty much what I want from any striker that comes in. Edouard was the perfect man for when Dembele left, need to find that again.

Hammy89 likes this.
  6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Considering who the ref was against Clyde i am surprised he didnt get booked for having wrong name on his shirt which is actually a bookeable offence

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Need to remember dembele got injured and it allowed edouard the time to get some form wasn’t the case edouard was like for like replacement when he came in on loan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callumrae1967 likes this.
  8. Keano88

Edouard was definitely forward planning to replace Dembele when he left.

PSG’s best youth player the year before we got him and had ripped up the French youth scene whilst being preferred to Mbappe at one point.

All signs pointed to him being a star in the making that just needed the right club to develop at, similar to Moussa.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Didn’t say he wasn’t I stated he wasn’t a direct replacement he developed into that role through time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. CountyDownFaithful

Article in the DR this morning about Klimala and his 'slow start to life at Celtic'.

* *... what chance have you got when the media are out to get you after 1 start.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    To me the priority in the summer is to get Fraser Forster on a permenant deal. It might be beyond us but we will hopefully have a decent pot to chuck at it.

Therefor in the coming months we need to see what Klimala can do. If it works out then even if Eddy goes his fee could be used to bolster the FF pot rather than another £9m striker.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Three brief sub appearances and one start in horrendous conditions. Not a lot to worry about tbh.

Marty McFly likes this.
  13. CountyDownFaithful

Exactly. No judgements should be made this early.

14. kingpenman1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It has been? For the price we paid.

15. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I thought some of his runs were strange and bordered on the impossible to find. If your the ball carrier on the inside right and the striker is parallel central, you'd expect;

1. Straight run and a through ball
    2. Cut across the passer diagonal and look for a reverse
    3. Depending on the defensive line, draw far left to drag the defense and create space for the ball carrier.

What he did was option 3, the problem was is that he ran so far left and deep. He had two banks of players between him and the ball carrier, their midfield and defence didn't even need to track his run because it was no longer an option to receive a pass.
    At very best he was attempting to push the line back, but I'm making excuses as to why he made that run.

I said strange because he makes his run with what looks like a lot of determination and intent to do well, you can clearly see him drive 'somewhere', he stands out when he does it, yet as I mention, his runs didn't offer many options or anything else for that matter.

I'm quite happy to accept he's 'raw' and his runs will improve, and naturally, the rest of his teammates will become familiar with his movement but in the most, I was left a bit bewildered.

Nice run for his missed chance mind you, exposed his pace well but that run was offered up on a plate by Clyde's poor positioning.

Agreed 100% that he's not French Ed's replacement, not even anywhere near the same type of player and I would probably have the fear if he was our go-to if Ed left in the summer.

16. CountyDownFaithful

Got to disagree.

He's only had 1 start and a few cameo's. It's hugely difficult for players to make an impact when they are coming on with 5-10 mins to go in games that are done and dusted.

His game time has been limited because both Eddy and Griff have been on fire and forming a great partnership.

The £3.5m fee is nothing in today's market, especially for strikers.

littlekennie likes this.
  17. horseshoe

He's a month into a 4.5 year contract and some are wanting to write him off already, * sake. :56:

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Pretty crazy, tbh.

19. Maestro 08

In the minority by the looks if it but I actually liked alot of what I saw on Sunday. In very difficult conditions to make your debut he showed decent link up when coming short and you could see he has pace in behind to trouble as well. An assist and the one chance he did have he was unlucky with. If u watch the motion of the ball as he's running on to it u can see how it gets blown back towards him, he had to adjust his stride and the attempt in the end wasn't the worst, I've seen many top strikers miss them.

The key is we need to keep giving him minutes. Too many times we buy strikers and expect them to do the business when they maybe haven't played a minute in 10 games. Keep using him. 30 mins every week and a start maybe every 3/4 games. Otherwise his confidence will dive bomb. Seen it too many times.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  20. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    For those who are writing him off can I remind you of a player who made his debut in 1997.
    He came on as a sub, but his introduction was delayed be cause he couldn't find a hairband!!!!
    Then with his first touch he gave the ball to an opposition player who scored the winner.

However he turned out to be not bad.