1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular opinion

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by ColeraineBhoy, Mar 14, 2014.

Discuss Confess your unpopular opinion in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. angusceltic67

Exactly.

But the folks on the dole are always made out to be the scapegoat.

If people don't want to conform to this debt slave existence and they can manage to get by on dole money, I say fair * to them.

Gyp Rosetti, Senna s1979 and Doogs. like this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, because the Work Programme was so successful and such a great idea... The Supreme Court were a baw hair from calling it forced or compulsory labour.

Of course there are those who play the system, the answer is definitely not slave labour for everyone though.

Not turning it into a slagging match though, so how does this logistically work @GAA_Celtic? Universal Credit is deemed the minimum amount for someone to get by, so how do we factor in travel expenses for said voluntary work, or is that going to come out of their UC payment?

Also, do you know how difficult it is to have employers 'sign up' for taking on voluntary workers? You say lots are screaming out for it. I worked in employability for years and that is not the case. It would be the same old story, Barnardos, The Range, Poundland and B&M would be queuing up to get their work done for free. Which by the way, is not what volunteering is. It is free labour.

There simply isn't the feasibility for all benefit recipients to take part in this, even if it was an option. It would literally end up with a qualified CNC machinist/architect/lorry driver cleaning donated white goods at a recycling centre or organising the Toffifee shelf in Home Bargains whilst completly demoralising and depressing the living * out of them

Fwiw, I do value volunteering and think it's excellent for various reasons.

3. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    Oh there's plenty of other * I will get around to when it comes to society.

The only reason the benefits one comes to mind is because I'm literally clawing my way through life working while in education and I see people I know who have never worked going on holiday.

The wage structures in this country are way too disproportionate and in favour of top earners. Something should be fine about that and tax the * multinational corporations accordingly - the problem is, I'm not posting about them because it isn't the popular opinion thread:56:

angusceltic67 likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not sure if I'd subscribe to @GAA_Celtic's idea of forcing people to do work but I think for those on social security and capable of work there could be some sort of top-up scheme for doing voluntary/community work.

Agree that corporations exploit workers with poor wages & conditions but that could and should be tackled in conjunction with it.

5. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    Travelling expenses - I would be 90% certain people could volunteer locally and travelling expenses would not be a major issue.

Volunteering comes in many forms and doesn't require individuals to go in to stores to get the work done or replace workforces. As I say it shouldn't be implemented as a full time thing but get a few hour each week/fortnight or whatever.

6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sounds easy doesn't it?

Lets take Dundee for example, 3590 people claiming UC or JSA. I would be 90% certain that there wouldn't be enough employers/organisations within walking distance of these claimants to satisfy your first point. Indeed most workplaces are either city centre or at retail parks/industrial estates around the city. So we're probably talking £15 per month in traveling expenses at least. £30 quid of they were mandated to volunteer twice per week. A significant figure for a benefit claimant.

"into stores or replace workforces" - I was just citing an example. Of course there are countless ways you can volunteer, this endless list would likely pose even more problems for the logistics of the scheme. If it was a mandatory part of receiving benefit it would need some serious regulation, otherwise you would still see people playing the system.

Not having a go, just highlighting how difficult it would be to impose.

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  7. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I can see both sides of this argument. Done voluntary work myself while unemployed for a garden centre and a charity. Although I enjoyed them, I also see the side of it that is taking advantage of people while the charity itself and folk higher up the ladder reap the benefits.

I think working, say one day a week, which would equal the income from UC or whichever benefit, isn't such a bad idea. I think it would be better if the work was community based though, such as litter picking or grass cutting, even helping the elderly or disabled. Of course it would have to be voluntary with no repercussions if the offer is declined.

Obviously a lot of people would say no but if it get's you experience and builds confidence then it would be a benefit to a lot of people.

GAA_Celtic likes this.
  8. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    Didn't realise this was going to go in to do much depth. It was an opinion rather than an outline for implementation.

However using Dundee as an example wouldn't be representative of places such as Liverpool, Birmingham or Leeds where it would be easier to commute. I would like to point out again that volunteering with benefits wouldn't mean volunteering full time - just a few hours every week, month or whatever they want to do.

Implementation would be difficult and require rigorous processes to identify individuals capable/willing to make use of the opportunity.

9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I don't really get the "willing" and "unemployment" bit. Surely anyone can volunteer at any point ?

10. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    I would say there are people out there who are physically incapacitated and would meet the criteria for not being able to work but would be willing to volunteer.

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Ah right I thought you were saying capable and willing, as in people who were physically capable could opt out rather than being forced into it.

GAA_Celtic likes this.
  12. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Surely if "volunteering"is mandatory to receiving benefits then its no longer volunteering.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  13. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    It certainly wouldn't if it was mandatory.

Johniebhoy. likes this.
  14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I'd quite like Duncan Ferguson to do well and get the Everton job ( and continue to do well)

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Replace workforces? So sack *, get freebies from the Goverment’s forced labour, ensuring said replaced work force can’t find a job like they had and have to go onto Government’s forced labour schemes?

16. Aidan O’Shea

Yorkshire puddings are * gash.

17. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Roasts in general.

[​IMG]

TheHappyLoss, AMc88 and Liam Scales like this.
  18. PhillyCelticSupporter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    And the Glasgow Celtics will be there
    The breakfast club is an extremely overrated film

19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I would give Jane Park a bash. :fear:

kinglenny likes this.
  20. AMc88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Spaghetti bolognese is easily the most overrated tea going.

Easter Rd Davie and trackebhoy like this.