1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Keano88, Jul 3, 2019.

Discuss Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’d like to see Bolingoli try and beat his man, and get a cross in. He chooses to pass to the inside most of the time.

Dan Breen and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

See tbh mate i don't think it's overly important that a LB or RB has to beat his man, i think it's more about the quickness and quality of the delivery intae the box, you see this with the Liverpool fullbacks.

Mickmac and Hammy89 like this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This is true..

It's when he or our other options chop back and run out of ideas/aren't incisive with the pass/cross that we lose the impetus going forward.....and it breaks down..

4. James Gold Member Gold Member

I'd have him about 20th choice probably just ahead of Gordon at left back

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For me it is another weapon in a full back’s arsenal that can create opportunities, though you’re right that quality of delivery is more important. I’d just like to see him not take the safe pass inside, almost every time he drives forward.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: Boli’s had a bit of time out and he’ll be back in contention for the squad. Greg’s played very well and, at the minute, he’s first in line to play. We’ve got competition in all positions."

7. CountyDownFaithful

Spot on but Boli doesn't ever look like getting up to full speed and bursting into space. He came with a reputation of being lightning quick but to me he doesn't look that quick.

As soon as he see's an opposition player in front of him or closing him down, he slows down and looks for the pass.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So why has he had a “bit of time out”?

9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

He was sighted hitting a ball against a wall, working on his touch.

10. Damnati

I think you're right with regards to taking men on with the ball. It's not something he does often. However he is constantly making runs beyond the winger when he doesn't have the ball. He's either opening up space or he'll get a pass and he's in behind.

The flip side of this is that he can be out of position if we are countered.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  11. CountyDownFaithful

Imagine spending £3.5m on a player and then dropping him from the squad. Not because he's injured but to allow him time to "rediscover his top form".

I have given Boli the benefit of the doubt, backed him more times than I've criticised him but I'm running out of hope now.

At £3.5 million, he should be commanding that LB spot. At the moment he's behind Taylor and Hayes who isn't even a LB.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He’s adjusting to a new country etc, as well remember..

Could have needed some time for a multitude of reasons.

Still think there’s a player there. Seems ideal for LWB.

13. Damnati

Yeah he seems to be out at the wrong time because LWB would be perfect for him. I feel quite confident that he'll be back as first choice soon enough unless Taylor really surprises me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

14. CountyDownFaithful

This is true tbf, it's easy to forget about when you want players to hit the ground running.

I really do hope he comes good and maybe playing him in a 3-5-2 system could be the making of him.

15. AMc88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    3-5-2 could be ideal for him.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think it's perfectly understandable. He hasn't been atrocious but he definitely needs to do more to make the LB spot his own.

He has to work on his positional awareness, far too often he's caught out of position and teams are getting in behind him.

He also needs to work on going by his man, when we're playing against stubborn defences with 2 banks of 5, balls from the byline are an important part in breaking them down. A few times he's been switched on to through balls and beat the man for pace to get the cross in eg. Cluj at home for Eddie but 1 v 1 he doesn't go by his man anywhere near enough for a full back of his pace.

Taylor and Hayes haven't let us down in his absence. It's a reminder to Boli that no place is safe in the team, if you want to play you have to earn the right to do it. Hopefully the spell out has refocused him.

17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think this is good management from Lenny, his comments will give Taylor a huge boost, but will also serve as a kick up the * and a challenge to Boli, can only benefit the team in the long run.

18. oh bhoy

Can't see what Taylor has done to merit a start over him would still have Hayes ,a lw, ahead of both of them

19. Cringer67

I don’t think he’s a left back either though. I dont think he’s a left winger either! Take what you will from that!

20. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I haven't lost hope yet for this guy. Do believe a run in team at lwb and not full back and he could turn good .

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk