1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Discuss Censorship and Policing of Words

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by MacEwan, Jan 14, 2020.

Discuss Let's Discuss Censorship and Policing of Words in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Let’s discuss an unfortunate situation that happened over the weekend. I know it's a long read, bare with me. This is a minuscule part of a bigger picture in the world that interests me.

I went to see “1917” on Friday and thought I’d tell you lovely folk about it in the review thread. Someone tried to be a smart * and make me look daft, turned out he was wrong, and I used an offensive word beginning with ‘S’ to let him know that.

A few people were offended, staff removed the word and I was banned for a couple of days.

What are our thoughts on this?

Censorship of words and handing out instant bans for saying a word is a dangerous game. There’s no set list of rules of words you can’t say. Where do we draw the line? As soon as someone is offended? Are we not handing out retrospective bans and removing words in old posts because people weren’t offended back then?

I’m a pretty valued member in here I’d like to think. I donate to be a gold member, generally nice, decent input, I can be a *, but ultimately opened my DM’s to people struggling with mental health due to the known history with my Dad and previously tried to help in the mental health forum. This is what people should be recognised for. Not one daft word.

I take responsibility for saying the word negatively and recognise that there are people out there who care for disabled people or have disabled children. I’ve got full respect for them and I apologised for that.

But common sense tells us that in the past these words have always had a certain meaning when used as an insult and are never even directed at the people who the “offended” are defending. Childish, outdated and insensitive? Yes. But does it mean I’m insulting people with cerebral palsy or any disabled person? No. Just a quick reply on my phone while I was out that I never thought about before sending because someone annoyed me. There was no sinister intent behind it. I watch a lot of comedy. Tom Segura, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, Dave Chapelle etc. I’m desensitised to most words myself, I know in myself when to be offended by a word and when not to be.

This video uses a different word, but the premise is the same. Again, there isn’t always a sinister intent when a certain word is used. I realise I’m not a comedian and using a word in this way can suggest it has negative connotations, which isn't true. 2:30 into the video, Bill Burr makes a great point about words and their interpretation.

I don’t agree with someone antagonising the situation and not being warned. I don’t agree with staff being able to remove the word, meaning that people will see the post and wonder what the word was. That could be anything, far worse than the word I used. Leave the word and let me suffer the consequences as people make judgement or remove the post all together.

A list of rules was put up over the weekend AFTER the situation happened, or at least edited, stating one word that can’t be used and it wasn’t even the one I used. Staff trying to cover their * I'd assume. These rules my be old, they obviously need updated.

I take full responsibility for people being offended, I’ll accept that, take that head on and apologise. But the handling by the staff I won’t accept, SFA levels of policing in here.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  3. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

It’s useless arguing with them, you’re not allowed to question staff decisions.

We don’t call them Nazis in private for nothing.

4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  5. Jeremie Frimpong

Warning for discussing a ban coming.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Cba with folk posting gifs. Can't even talk about it.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I never seen the post but I can guess from context the word you are referring to.

To be honest it's a * insult, surely people can come up with more inventive ways to have a go.

Here's something to think about, most people on here are faceless usernames. How are you to know they aren't disabled in some way?

It's been consigned to history for a reason and quite right too.

8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I posted a gif because this will get closed.

I wasn't offended by it, but I knew some would be hence I posted a wee (supportive because I like you) heads up in the thread.

Don't think you merited a ban but it's a pointless conversation as we aren't allowed to discuss staff decisions

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Agreed it's a * insult. Was just a quick reply and never even thought about it.

I took responsibility for the word and apologised, I definitely won't be saying it again and haven't said it in here before in recent memory. I'm sure I've used offensive words in here in the past, no doubt.

My issue isn't with not being able to say the word. It was the way it was dealt with.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Might as well start banning the use of Swear Words.

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN likes this.
  11. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Your image isn’t working for me, please describe it

12. Jeremie Frimpong

* off, you carrot.

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  13. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Carrot coming

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Do you not see a problem with that? I haven't even heard from a member of staff. It's a discussion that people should be allowed to have and they should be involved.

Aw thanks I like you too :100: It was a moment of stupidity and I should have noticed when you commented, but it's opened a can of worms.

Marty McFly and M.E.T.H.O.D MAN like this.
  15. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Also very hypocritical of the mods to ban certain words they deem offensive when they unbanned Marky Bhoy and let him free to spew his homophobia on the forum.

We have disabled members that are offended at those words is a legitimate reason but what about the gay members ?

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

MacEwan and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yeah I think it's far from ideal.

MacEwan likes this.
  18. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I called scott McKenna a certain word beginning with 'M' and was given a warning and my post removed. Yet people constantly refer to morelos as harvey price in the hun thread, which I feel is a similar insult to the word I used(arguably worse),does that not come under insulting the disabled? Where does the line begin and end at what is deemed offensive.

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That word is now banned.

MODS cant see every single post, so often the post would need to be reported by a user to draw attention to it.

Where to draw a line is very difficult. Common sense and decency probably.

20. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Let's Discuss Censorship and Policing of Words

Nah, who cares, * it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.