1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LloydsGamble

Spot on. As good as it could be given what it had to work with I thought.

Abrams played it safe in the two he directed (he essentially remade A New Hope and Return of the Jedi), Johnson as you say strained against the leash a bit and we ended up with a very messy trilogy overall but this was easily the best of the three for me.

Maybe because of the reduced expectations, but I enjoyed a lot of the nostalgic moments and references and though the plot was pretty basi and predictable, it felt like Star Wars.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Account Deactivated likes this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Tenet looks * incredible.

Mental how Nolan is the only director doing original stuff when it comes to blockbusters.

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed. I feel absolutely robbed. Load of *.

5. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Just been to see it, the best way I can describe it is that it’s a good Star warsy type stand alone sort of movie but the story is bad, awful in some points.

Adam driver is fantastic though, definitely the shining light of the sequel trilogy

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I really didn’t mind the story. I thought it was a good mix of nostalgia and freshness. I liked the scale of the battle, and seeing Rey master her powers over the course of the film. In fact I thought her entire performance was excellent. There were some parts I didn’t like, such as the Kylo Ren and Rey kiss as I thought that was a bit pointless, but I did think that the imagination of some of the epic battle scenes towards the end were quite apt for the story, as you’d expect an epic sized conclusion to a 42 year saga. What I didn’t like was Kylo Ren’s apparent orders to kill Rey, yet ultimately Palptine wanted her back alive. I also don’t get how she wasn’t just kidnapped when her parents were, then trained to be evil, instead of all those years as a scavenger, but I’m prepared to let that go.

I also thought Leia using the force to get into Ren’s head, which allowed Rey to kill him, was a bit weird, and I don’t understand why that killed Leia (or did she just decide it was time to go). I understand there’s only so much they can do with the footage they had of her.

I’ve seen people criticise Kylo Ren for turning good in the end. It does seem odd for someone who’s so deeply evil that he can kill his own Dad, but then again I can see how that would tear him up inside and might be the thing that makes him seek redemption.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

My review of star wars, spoilers most likely

What a big load of flying *.

Sure things looked nice and shiney and space battles and graphics etc was top notch. Nothing looked computer generated etc. I actually liked those we plastic real mask looking kid things on that planet.

The story though. What an utter mess.

We MUST find the magic blade that gives us the mega clue where the magical space satnav is. Even luke Skywalker couldnt find that! How ever will we find it? Oh.. we fell in a sand hole and landed on it. Well that was lucky. Yay. Bullshit!!!

Let's add some random jedi light saber fights. Force teleport!!! Does my nut in. Bullshit.

I AM REN SKYWALKER!! Mmm no your no. Your ren palpatene you fud.

Force lightning!?! *. Better just use 2 lightsabres... *.. then "kill me and sit on the throne!" No shes no killing him.. oh wait.. hes chucked ren right off the cliff... so now she kills palpatene anyway. A guy who apparently cant die anyway. Load.of *.

Oh wait. Hes no dead... he climbed up the cliff. Nice. Zero sexual tension so let's kiss. Donno why. Aye shes hot so May's well.

* CHEWIEEE - oh wait. Apparently they landed 2 prisoner vessels but just never showed us one so he never died. * me that's lucky.

Oh no! Sad moment, c3po will loose his memory and basically who he is. Let's feel sad. Nah it's fine, r2d2 fixes him anyway so another round of pointless bullshit!!!

* she finally stabs Kyley minogue, but nah just heals the mortal enemy straight away anyway. Cow.

Actually dont understand how anycunt can like something thats got more holes than a big * hole. I was genuinely shocked and upset at how pish that was, and I watch some pish. What the * was going on in that director's head!?! Atleast it surely opened the door for darth Vader's return. * why no. Couldnt get worse than this.

Star wars: Vader vs Darth maul: ultimate showdown.

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just back from seeing Star Wars.

The cringiest pile of * I’ve seen in some time. I saw people saying they ripped off Avengers Endgame. They * wish.:giggle1:

It’s just so blatantly for kids now. Everything has to be nicey nicey, inspirational speeches, “we’ll do this together”. My *.

9. G0G

Fav Celtic Player:
    Frimpong
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Thank * I’ve only seen the first Star Wars & that was enough....:99:

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  10. Mr. Slippyfist

You're easily the most dour-faced negative * on here, so I'll probably enjoy this film based on your review

:93:

Officer Doofy likes this.
  11. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Actually got a good laugh out of that star wars film i've never seen a more desperate attempt to please people that didn't like a film in my life, most of the story is so stupid and stuff just happens with no explanation and you have to just go with it cause * it, some of the things that I suppose were meant to be emotional are genuinely hilarious.

The last half is just predictable as * and it's been done better before. Not really arsed if they ever make any more of these, they will cause they make * tons of money, but they just tell the same story over and over again and use the same * characters. Need to move on from pandering to * nostalgic as * for the old films if they want to actually tell a good story.

12. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Star Wars is a doubly entertaining film. First, you get to see a decent action blockbuster type film at the cinema. Then you get to go online and see all the bedwetters crying into their pissy pants over it.

It's a kids film based on a 40 year old kids film. If you don't like it then maybe you just don't like kiddie movies any more. Get over it and move on.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yup never got the hype over it, I hate that Star Trek * anaw.

Doogs. and PaulM1888 like this.
  14. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    I honestly didn't think Star Wars was that bad.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good point. Had a read of a lot of one star reviews in imdb, and a lot of the complaints are about how it doesn’t make them feel like the way they did when they saw the first ones as kids. No * mate, it was 42 years ago.

I quite like Star Wars but none of the films would make it into my top 30/50 films of all time. I just see them as a bit of fun, and I do think the original trilogy has been overrated, and has aged poorly.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think Star Wars is a lot of pish but it obviously has something about it because folk are taking how apparently * this new film is very seriously.

Don’t know if it’s just because I missed the original hype train but I was as underwhelmed as you could possibly be when I eventually seen it a few years ago.

Gyp Rosetti and Callum McGregor like this.
  17. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    If you look at it as if it was a young * novel being made into a book, then I'd say they smashed it. Especially, Adam Driver has smashed it as he's made a very choppy 2-note role look like an Oscar-worthy performance. Its worth watching the films just for Adam Driver alone.

If you just want to watch a fun blockbuster film that's mostly aimed at kids, then set your expectations to that level and you'll enjoy it.

18. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    opinions , opinions …. ive loved star wars from the beginning and will enjoy this one over the holidays .. may the force be with you !!

Callum McGregor likes this.
  19. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I enjoyed it got a bit cheesey at times near the end, but liked it.

Nothing will get me like the originals though.

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Uncut Gems

* unreal film. Easily movie of the year. Adam Sandler was incredible in it. The Safdie brothers are on a roll just now with Good Time and now this. Their style of directing if brilliant.