1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Football Manager 2020

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by RabS, Oct 31, 2019.

Discuss Football Manager 2020 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah.

My first save I went 30+ games unbeaten and just could not shake them off. Ended up losing the league by one point to them.

Far too "good" it would seem.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

2. LM67

They aren’t that great in mine - I’m in season 3 and they are onto their 4th manager. Gattuso lasted less than a year

3. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Bundesliga: completed it, mate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made a really good start to the run-in with big wins against Wolfsburg and Dortmund. Then went away to HSV and lost, and followed that up with a drab deadlocked 0-0 against Koln. Thought we’d basically be out of it with those two results, only real hope was closing out the season by winning the remaining games on our schedule and hoping Bayern would slip up. From memory we were 6 points back following the Koln game. Was a tough slog with some really narrow wins, but we put our noses in front following a tonking of Hertha away. Final day saw us 1 point clear, needing to beat Mainz to confirm us as champions. Bayern were away to Koln I think, and ended up smashing out a 6-0 win. Meanwhile we threatened a * up of 2001 proportions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How * mental is this. They go ahead just before HT, prompting a bit of panic. We equalise via the peno spot early in the second half. Bit of calm restored but a draw won’t be enough, we need all three points. Game creeps on to the latter stages and we get another pen. This time Haaland shanks it and the keeper parries, and I’m sitting there swearing thinking we’ve completely * the title. But he then coolly collects the rebound and slots it home before the keeper has time to react. 2-1 up. At this point I start making defensive changes to see out the game. Bring Oczpika on for Miranda who is starting to tire massively at LB. We find the back of the net again soon after but VAR snuffs it out. Grinding the clock away. We get 6 minutes of extra time due to the various VAR and pen chaos. And then in the 94th minute Ajer manages to nod in an own goal from a defensive corner. *. Title gone. Not like this. We’re on overload, punt the thing up the pitch and crash the box in our last desperate charge. A Mainz defender fouls Haaland, gets sent off, and we get awarded our third pen of the match. Riveting stuff. Haaland is usually ice cold from the spot, but he’s made one and missed one in this match. Albeit scoring from the rebound. So this is tense AF. No need to worry, last kick of the season and he * it to the keeper’s left. 3-2. Meisterschale. Champions.

[​IMG]

Haaland is essentially a cheat code. Not quite in goal a game territory, but more than a goal a start. Put Lewa in his place by winning Torschotzenkonig, with 23 in the league and 3 in the Pokal. Asensio did enough to justify a perm, depending on his wage demands. Cavani started brightly but tailed off in the second half of the season, not really contributing and missing a crucial early pen in a 0-0 against Koln which nearly hobbled us. Neres scored some crucial match-winning goals. Maddison was a consistent presence. Serdar hit a decent amount of goals for a CM.

I feel like now is the right time to put this on hiatus and start my first post-beta save. I’ve gone too quickly from mid table mediocrity to winning, there’s no sense of steady progression there. If this isn’t to be a long term monolithic save then what’s the point of devoting more time to it, imo. I’d also rather guide a club to the Europa League and not jump into the deep end of the CL so quickly.

I’m not quite ready to fire up Genoa just yet, thinking of doing a Spain save instead. I didn’t do a Betis save on FM19, so think I’m entitled to jump in at the Benny V with Fekir, Carvalho, Joaquin, Bartra and co. And the brilliantly named Loren Moron. I was slightly worried about Fekir perhaps being injury prone, having seen him pick up a 5-8 monther in my Schalke save, but I had a sneaky peak with the editor and his injury rating is only 8, so was probably just bad luck and he should be fine. Lo Celso’s buy option at Spurs is 35m so that will be a nice season 2 cash injection if they activate it.

Rather than going down the predictable Haaland route I’d quite like to snap up Esposito. Mainly because I have a notion that not many Italian players end up playing in Spain. And he’s got a surname that I mistakenly thought had Spanish roots via Argentina, but is actually Neapolitan.

Bit wary about the formation given that Fekir can only really play #10, and Carvalho can only play DM. So you’re sort of obligated to either go 4-2-3-1 DM with no CMs, or do a 1 DM + 1 CM split. Going to run gegenpress again because that seemed to do the business in Germany.

LM67 likes this.
  4. LM67

Nice bundesliga win. Also nice to see that it’s not just in my game where there’s loads of pens!

Betis look a good save. If their wingers aren’t up to much you could even buy Esposito and Haaland and go 4-4-2 diamond. That’s never an easy one to master

5. GavCFC1

Starting a game at Lyon, looking to overthrow PSG eventually, any signing recommendations?

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wingers at vetia are fine, Joaquin at 38 is weirdly still pretty * good.
    Fekir can play wide or up top, along with a few others.
    I signed dembele naturally for long term winger.

It's their central midfield that's *, two great looking central midfielders that I'd love to build around, out on * loan for the season.

Weird.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  7. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Two good lads at a team called Celtic. Ajer and Edouard are their names

8. Seosamh Máirtín

Nah, they're alright but Gerrard still got his marching orders in middle of January in mine! :55::56:

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  9. LM67

Into January of season 3 and ended up doing more business than planned:

7F70BE39-F442-44D7-AEFF-3CBA8DFAC713.png

Had no immediate plans to sell McGregor but he kept moaning about game time and only had 18 months left on his deal. For a squad player £20m was too much to refuse. Terrier and Belmonte both showed flashes of good form but neither were consistent enough.

Excited by the 2 incomings, both big potential. Hlozek looks a very good long term replacement for Forrest as an out and out right winger:

02794FBD-C114-409C-A7CC-5630EAB5EA77.png

ABE3AB93-3C01-4A5E-8CF5-EAE63D0F6D80.png

Was pretty average in the CL groups finishing on 8 pts - but that was enough to finish behind PSG but above Man Utd and finish 2nd. Got a very favourable last 16 draw, getting Schalke. Won the first leg 3-0 so looking good for the quarters again.

Star performer so far is Almada:

4006489E-B337-4D0C-B556-B7F4D5319F08.png

He could be one of the best signings I’ve ever made on FM.

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  10. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Cheers. I'm going to go with wingers for now at Betis, no choice really as I've got a bunch of LWs who can't play LM. Have the young Mexican LW Lainez on the books so developing him is a priority.

May end up having to sell William Carvalho and move to a midfield 2 though because I'm not sure how this DM-CM split is going to work. Saw him move to PSG in my other save for big money, so could be the path to funding a rebuild.

kinglenny and Peej like this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm the same regards the DM position with Carvalho, it really isn't working for me, and I'm not comfortable with how ineffective he is rated at in CM.

I brought Alena in on loan and Connell on loan from Celtic as well. Dembele and Hickey both signed for cover on the right and at FB positions.

Mad that Camarasa and Lo Celso are both out on loan/ They should be the starting two at Betis, with Fekir on the right, Iglesias up top and then a pick of LW. Lainz does look good for developing and I am hoping him and Dembele are my long term wingers. Rather see Fekir up top.

Edit. Rober at RW looks like a good development as well.
    For me, next season will be all about getting the two CM back in, Full contract to Alena and Connell for backup and then a dominant CB - Looking at you Ajer

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  12. Seosamh Máirtín

Any recommendations for teams to play as other than Celtic? Fresh outta ideas. :43:

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Betis I am liking so far.
    Villarreal would also be decent. Bilbao for obvious reasons.

Lyon or St Ettiene in France take my fancy.

14. LM67

England: Wolves, Fulham, Leeds
    Italy: Fiorentina, Roma, Milan
    Germany: Leipzig, Stuttgart, Leverkusen
    Rest of the World: Boca, Santos, Monterry

That’s my list of teams to choose from that I’ll do a save with when I get bored of Celtic. Never done a non-European save so looking forward to trying that

15. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I am doing my usual "holiday into the future" save and John Kennedy has finally became manager in the year 2034.

He left as assistant in 2019 to start managing and after 15 years he's back at the club as manager.

I'm so * proud and it has made me feel like a pure worst * coz its a computer game.

Mr. Fawlty and Seosamh Máirtín like this.
  16. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    I always like the games with teams who you are use to seeing in the top tiers of the big leagues like

stuttgart, nurnberg, dresden, hanover, chievo, livorno, perugia, deportivo, malaga, zaragoza.

infact Deportivo la coruna would be a good one.

Bradford, portsmouth or Bolton are another three i like going.

17. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Accidently delete my current save. Started a new one with Celtic.

Sold

Bitton £4.1 million Al-Ahli
    Lewis Morgan £3.8 million West Ham
    Rogic £8 million Shef United
    Griffiths £10 million Crystal Palace

Signings
    Rodrigo Tarin £2.6 million Leganes - Looks an absolute bargain with a release clause like that
    upload_2019-11-30_14-20-54.png
    Niklas Dorsch £4.3 million - FC Heidenheim - Look term Brown replacement. Might happen in real life too....
    upload_2019-11-30_14-21-17.png
    Konstantin Kuchaev £1.8 million - CSKA Moscow - Backup for Mcgregor or Ntcham
    upload_2019-11-30_14-21-42.png
    Justin Bijlow £10.5 - Feyenoord - First choice keeper.
    upload_2019-11-30_14-22-2.png
    Ricardo Oliveira - £625k - ATM - Backup super sub for Eddy. 38 years old but stats are brilliant.
    upload_2019-11-30_14-22-22.png
    Robert Gumny - £2.9 million - Lech - First choice right back.

A few prospects for the future;

Randy Scheider - £400k - Grasshoppers

upload_2019-11-30_14-35-10.png

Mohamed Daramy - £2.4 million - FC Kobenhaven
    upload_2019-11-30_14-50-41.png

Leonidas Stergiou - £2.2 million - St Gallen

upload_2019-11-30_14-53-48.png

Attached Files:

18. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Brought in the 3 Hearts yougsters as well.

Aaron Hickey - £180k

upload_2019-11-30_14-56-55.png

Harry Cochrane - £65k
    upload_2019-11-30_15-3-53.png

Anthony McDonald - £220k

upload_2019-11-30_15-4-21.png

19. Seosamh Máirtín

[​IMG]

Biggest offer I've got yet. Glady accepted as Christie is just about as good and I could sign a replacement for about 10m, no doubt. Besides, he's looking a new deal and near 50k a week. * that...

20. RTJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Started a new Celtic save.
    I'm liking how I've handled certain players contracts this season. Not allowing them to use club as a stepping stone but adding promises I can keep to. Might allow me to keep Ajer and Eddy in the long run.