1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

League Of Ireland and Irish League fans, who you support?

Discussion in 'World Football' started by 1888Sean, Sep 3, 2019.

Discuss League Of Ireland and Irish League fans, who you support? in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. 1888Sean

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Irish Celtic fans, outta curiousity, who do you support in the LOI or IFA?

I took a liking to Cliftonville in 2018 because a friend of mine, a Coleraine supporter, kept going on about the build up to the Cup final and I done it it annoy him. He got the last laugh, but I'm in too deep now to turn back and have started attending Cliftonville matches.

I also have soft spots for Derry City and Bohemians FC.

2. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I’m from Newry, so naturally I’d support Newry City but, given they’re IFA, I suppose I’d have an inkling towards Waterford United in the FAI scene as they were my granda’s Local team before he moved to Liverpool. Used to go to games with his old man.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Bohemians for me. Can't say I support them as I am a Celtic supporter and Celtic only but have always had a soft spot for Bohs.

[​IMG]

1888Sean and thailandceltic like this.
  4. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
  5. ddub11

Cant get into Irish soccer atall as the standard is so poor.
    Would like to see an all Ireland league as we might see an improvement with a bit more interest and higher attendance.

Gully Sands likes this.
  6. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    When you say you cant get into it, how many games have you attended and what games were they? Not being smart just interested. Setanta cup was a flop so not sure if a cross boarder league would help, cant see how a midweek midtable game between say Sligo v Institute would do anything for attendances Bohs v Rovers had over 7000 the other night and it was great.. atmosphere was great and decent game

7. ArmchairGeorge Gold Member Gold Member

Cork City. Having a nightmare this season. Hopefully our new soon-to-be Ugandan trialist is a hidden gem :56:

1888Sean likes this.
  8. gerard1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Cliftonville

KRS-1888 and 1888Sean like this.
  9. ddub11

Havent been to a game in a while,but i have been to a few rovers bohs games over the years and to be fair there not bad.

I keep me eye on Irish football and watch on the box when possible and i think the standards poor,i guess a lot of that is because as soon a player shows potential he,s off to some lower league team in England.

Also the grounds/stadiums are in a poor state,i know if they had more people going/more money then things would improve but the FAI dont care about the league and as things stand i cant see and major improvements soon.

When is Dalymount going to get done up?it seems a long time ago when we were being told it was getting done up.

I dont think an all Ireland league will be the solution to all the problems but i do think it will generate a bit more interest,imo the FAI are the people who need to get their act together and promote the league more,i mean our teams dont get tv money when their on tv how can they allow that to happen.

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I would rather go to an underage Gaelic club game than watch soccer in Ireland

11. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    The standard isn't great overall no but there has been some absolute cracking games this season with some very good standards. If I'm honest Rovers and Dundalk at the moment would probably make top 6 in Scotish top flight.. Bohs and Derry would be bottom 6 but would probably survive..

I don't watch much football on telly other than Celtic games.. it's all bout the matchday experience..

The FAI completely abandoned the league many many years ago and the fact its survived and is now starting to improve is a miracle and down to people who support and run their local clubs..

As for Dalymount.. * knows mate.. last I heard the local Tesco had lodged an objection due to access to its store..

ddub11 likes this.
  12. 1888Sean

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'd love to see Cork City give him a trial for the craic lol. Baffles me how a young lad in Uganda picked out Cork City tho ou every other existing club :56:

13. 1888Sean

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Same for meself. Celtic is my main team but getting across the water can be difficult. Bohs are oddly appealing to me from the Dalymount, the fans, culture and colours. (Im fond of Thin Lizzy too so theres a bit of a Phil Lynott appeal too :56:).

I'm also for uni in magee up in Derry shortly so a bit of admiration for Derry City is there for that. I dont try allign myself to either, but some days i feel more inclined to one or the other (been tempted in the past to get one of the O'neills Bohems tops just bc they look class lol). Im hoping to make the Derry vs Bohs match in the Brandywell on the 20th sept for the first time.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  14. 1888Sean

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The GAA is always going to be superior to soccer anyways, hands down

georgiebhoy likes this.
  15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I got the new O'Neills home top when I was home this summer and really like it. I think you will like it if you get it. The club does seem to be on more of an upswing but the key for them to grow beyond where they are now lies with the redevelopment of Dalymount. They could probably almost double the ticket revenue alone if the redevelopment of Dalymount ever actually happens.
    Then they really could be a force in the League of Ireland again but as long as they are stuck in the current shameful run down Dalymount where they are at now is about the best it will get.

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In an overall sense yes but for me I see no reason why both cannot do well. The FAI has really hurt the league badly over the years so certainly for starters the league needs to be pulled away from the FAI. There needs to be an emphasis on bringing in the best possible league wide deals say for things like TV and maybe kits as well. There needs to be work done towards developing decent stadium and training facilities as right now with just a few exceptions most League of Ireland stadiums are dreadful. I know Shamrock Rovers have had financial issues with their academy but ways have to be found for all LOI clubs to have full academy structures.

17. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Errrrmmmmm.

Eh...ok.

18. ddub11

Care to elaborate?

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yes Tesco is causing problems and holding up the project. Crying about where they can get deliveries while the construction is on going.

thailandceltic likes this.
  20. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Apologies .
    I totally misread your post.

ddub11 likes this.