1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rating our transfer business.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2019.

Discuss Rating our transfer business. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

First Team
    Jullien
    Bolingoli
    Elhamed
    Taylor
    Forster
    Bauer
    Elyounoussi

Youth
    Connell
    Oluwayemi
    Hjelde
    Afolabi
    Burt
    Frimpong
    O’Connor

I’d rate it as an 8/10.

Would have been higher had we got a DM/CM.

We’ve signed some proven quality in Jullien, Elyounoussi and Forster.

Big Elhamed is quality too and seems an absolute steal at the price we paid.

Boli has come onto a game and looks like he’ll be a good attacking full back but is still a bit suspect defensively. Taylor gives us a more defensive option at LB and has scope to improve on the attacking side of his game. Both different types of LB but I like both options.

Bauer looks a decent player from his short cameo the other day too.

Also loving the forward planning with the youth players coming in. I’m sure there will be at least a few gems in there..

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Only complaint is I wish we got things sorted earlier.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Wanyama would have made it a 10 easy.

We are in a great position, we don’t have much to do in January and that’s probably something Lennon wanted.

Assuming nobody leaves I see us bringing in Turnbull in January and that’s probably it.

Depending on how their season is going and the interest in them, Wanyama or Benkovic on loan is a possibility.

4. wulliebad

Given we lost 5 players from our back line and two from the front this summer(thanks BR you *) we have done much more than i thought we would this window.
    Had a good clear out as well.
    Gave it a 8

Whoflungdung likes this.
  5. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

6/10.

Some nice signings, Julien, Forster and even after Sunday I'm still not convinced by Bilingoli. Hope I'm wrong as I like him.

Pick of the bunch for me is El Hamady simply because I expected very little but he is a cracker.

Too late for me too, we should be like Dortmund get it done early then bed them in on time for the CL qualifiers. Sickens me we are never prepared for what is arguably the biggest games of our season.

Glad we never signed McKenna and good to see some exciting young talent.

Still felt gutted about Turnbull and hope he recovers well and we sign him in January along with wanyama.

Ps wouldn't be surprised to see Hooper still come in.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  6. PistolPete

First Team

Jullien - 8/10. Took a while to get up to speed but looks a pler. We needed a dominant no 1 CB to lead the defence too

Boli - 5/10 so far, but I reckon he’ll come good as an attacking full back. He’s no KT, but who is?

Elhamed - 8/10. Looks a bargain and a bit like Mika when he arrived

Forster - 7/10. Low risk, pleasant surprise we got a keeper tbh

Bauer and Elyounoussi - 7/10 - excited to see them both play, just wish they’d arrived sooner

Taylor - 6/10. Being one of them brings him down a mark, and so does him not being Melling :56:
    Good prospect though, and the more defensive LB we needed

Youth Team:

Looks like we’re finally going down the Ajax route and signing every talented youngster we can. Really good strategy for me. Shame we lost Morrison, but 9/10

Just a CM and a few weeks earlier on the deals would have made it a class window, but still pretty good for me :60:

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I put down 5 out of 10 because this should have been sorted for the champions league qualifying games.

I will only ever say 10 when that’s sorted, I think we could have qualified if we had these players in early and especially with Big Lurch in goals.

8. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I do worry that we’ve focused more on quantity than quality. Of those signings, Julien, Elhammed, Forster and one of Taylor and Bolingoli will play regularly. I can only imagine the others will be the ‘projects’ who come in, everyone forgets about them and they move on. Couldn’t help feeling with yesterday’s signings that we knew hadn’t done enough to bring in the defenders we so obviously needed, so we overcompensated by bringing in as many as possible, regardless of what they’d bring to the team.

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Turnbull, Wanyama and Prajovic/Benkovic in January.

I'd try for a permanent for Benkovic and prepare for Ajer leaving at some point in the next year and a half.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. McBride 10 in a row

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Permanent signings going straight in (Julien, Boli, Taylor etc) - 7/10

Loan signings (Elyounoussi, Forster) - 8/10

Signings for the future (O'Connor, Frimpong, Alofabi) - 9/10

Overall - (8/10)

Good window overall in the end, with most issues addressed and some really exciting prospects coming in

Whoflungdung likes this.
  11. dmccourt95

7.5/10 We have done the work now so that January SHOULD finally be the window were we add whatever we need to set us up for next years qualifiers

12. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

Great window in terms of addressing the problem areas, with plenty of options and loans to supplement the team. Given where we were two weeks ago mentally compared to now, it's been great. Lots of players with something to prove, should be a great season ahead.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    It's been good, a solid 8 outta 10. We have improved the squad overall, The first team team has been strengthened, We've added some exciting youngsters AND we also reduced the amount of deadwood.

Also none of the panic merchants, who posted walls of text explaining how easy it all is, seem to have actually had a heart attack - they have just went quiet, so that's good as well :giggle1:

Whoflungdung likes this.
  14. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Good end to the window I'd of liked a first choice right back in for competition and maybe another cb, and being really greedy a cm and striker but Im relatively happy with the players coming in and out, couple for the future and coupe of first teamers

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

15. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If you improve the squad and give real competition for places, then it's a success. I'm happy enough with this window.

Whoflungdung and Artorias like this.
  16. StevieBhoooy!

7/10

Would have been 9/10 if they’d unveiled Wanyama at midnight !

The Turnbull farce and usual fannying around for half the window plus the prolonged KT saga loses a point overall.

17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Too many future prospects, and first team positions were filled too late, with CM missing still.

6/10.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    On the whole, I don't believe we are stronger. Maybe in 6 months some players may come good, but we are banking on a lot of that.

Too much hopes and gambles purchased and not enough guaranteed proven quality.
    Too many loans and as much as I am for development players, I think we may have signed just as many for that squad than we did the first team squad.

Money from the Tierney deal was never reinvested, that's two seasons in a row now.
    The Armstrong money practically paid for transfer dealings last year, while the dembele money was banked (looking towards January since that deal was late). This year the management money practically paid for our transfer dealings this window, with another 20mill banked from the Tierney deal.

It's still disappointing not to see genuine quality and investment in to the playing squad to see an immediate improvement. And a lot of what did eventually come, came far too late.

It's good that we have 2 for every position (as far as wings are concerned even 4 for each), but I'm not seeing a marked improvement on what we have been used to the last 12-36 months.

I'm positive for the season, I expect us to get 9 in a row etc, but the board have let us down, they've yet again bought a little bit of time from some corners of the support who will see the flurry of players signed, but few are of real quality and on a permanent

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

oh bhoy and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  19. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Overall, I'm very happy with this window, although it did have it's ups and downs. I feel like we've strengthened and that the cover means we're not going to be running our bhoys into the ground like BR was content to do. 8/10

-1 for the timing of signings and introduction of players not really helping us in Europe.
    -1 missing a few opportunities or filling roles (CDM).

IN:

Taylor - SPFL and international exp, but not my first choice and he knows he has big shoes to fill. Behind Boli for me.
    Bolingoli - still selling in but really happy for him that he’s found his form in the team after Sunday
    Jullien - worth every pound. lovely bit of business and looking forward to our new CB pairing up with Ajer. /swoon
    Elhamed - bargain of the window for sure! if not for Jullien, he’d be my pick of the window!
    Bauer - love his attitude and want to see much more of him. looked good in Sevco match. option to buy, right?
    Elyounoussi - hope we get some appearances - would love to see him in Hoops rather than against! XD
    Forster - welcome back!!! outstanding signing. hope we can convince a buy out of this…

Afolabi - not sure just yet, but seems thrilled to be hear alongside Connell
    Connell - Bolton fans were very sad to see him go. looking forward to seeing what he can bring!
    Burt - don’t know much about him and hope he settles in well
    O’Connor - young CB who looks unafraid of a good tackle. good long term project/cover.
    Frimpong - young RB/LB that ManCity fans seem sad seeing leave. short, but seems highly rated going forward.

Wanyama - wish we would have brought him in
    Turnbull - wish this nonsense hadn’t dragged out the way it did
    Benkovic - wish he was available to us, but that’s the * part of loans

OUT:

Lustig - will miss this guy tremendously and wish him all the best at Ghent.
    KT - good bit of business, but sad to see him go. wish him the best and maybe he’ll even return some day…
    Compper - still mad about this one ever coming to our club
    Allan - for the best as he was never getting into our squad
    Izzy - panic buy that hopefully doesn’t tarnish his time back with us. glad he’s moved on
    Gamboa - never quite made the cut for us. also glad he’s moved on
    Weah - would have like a longer stay, if possible
    Burke - glad he didn’t stay beyond the loan period

Ralston - good loan. likely one last hurrah for the bhoy before we get rid of him.
    Hendo - sad to see him out on loan, but think he’ll benefit from game time and run interference in the league
    Aitchison - not well-schooled on his abilities, but loan can’t be bad here considering our packed frontline

Sinclair - feel sad for him. he's clearly out of favor for some reason and wasn't able to be moved on. on to January move?
    Miller - needed to have been moved on. must go in January.
    Hendry - why on earth is he still here? must go in January.
    Benyu - Ben who? must go in January.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  20. Cringer67

My only gripe is had we sorted this sooner I think we’d be playing champions league football.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.