1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Football Manager 2019

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by RabS, Oct 7, 2018.

Discuss Football Manager 2019 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  2. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Groups, Tedious Groups

So I found the whole group stage experience in the newly expanded format to be utterly pointless and underwhelming. A precursor of the IRL jump to three-team groups, perhaps. But with all due respect to DR Congo and Saudi Arabia (eh, less respect to them perhaps), there was just zero jeopardy there from the start. Don’t get me wrong, there were some interesting groups: Group B for example featured Germany, Peru and Cameroon, Group G boasted France, Cameroon and Chile. But the bulk of them were rubbish. Qatar, for example, had the arduous task of taking on Switzerland and Canada. Still finished dead last, mind. Spain somehow managed to finish 3rd in a group containing Japan and Honduras. China heralded their arrival on the world stage by topping a group containing Algeria and Poland. There was some good stuff buried amongst the nonsense, I just happened to land a particularly dull pair of opponents.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two games were basically just an exercise in nursing Chiesa and Perri back to match fitness. Perri failed a fitness test for the first game and only managed a brief cameo in the second. Chiesa was in terrible sharpness having been frozen out at club level, so despite playing the bulk of the group games he still needed a lot more minutes under his belt in the first knockout game before he’d be fully up to speed.

The Important Bits

Had Peru first up, feared them as a potential banana skin as I wasn’t quite sure where we were at after two uncompetitive group games. So really saw this as a proper barometer. Ended up winning comfortably.

[​IMG]

Argentina next, was absolutely bricking it for this game as they boast so many good players, particularly regens such as my lethal Samp striker Larzabal who basically scores a goal a game at international level. Huge moment in the first half when they were awarded a penalty which Donarrumma managed to save. Clawed our way to 3-1 up midway through the second half and thought we were home and hosed, but they pulled one back late on and I clamped down into a defensive mentality in order to see out the result.

[​IMG]

Dutch next as the blockbuster games were starting to come thick and fast. Nightmare of a match which swung back and forth, with 4 goals scored in the space of about 20 minutes in the second half. We went 2-0 up and I thought it was all over, but they struck back quickly with a couple of their own to level it at 2-2. Meandered into extra time, decided to go positive. Unlikeliest of heroes was Gagliardini who I subbed on in place of Tonali who was tiring. Big Bobby managed to head one in from a free kick. Job done.

[​IMG]

Pressure really mounting at this point. We were through to the semis which met the expectations of the federation. But the two semi finals had a decidedly pre-ordained look to them, with two firm favourites going up against two plucky underdogs. On the one side you had co-hosts Mexico enjoying a fantastic tournament, up against perennial contenders Germany. On the other you had surprise package Turkey taking on ourselves. In theory bowing out at a semi is a good tournament, but the nature of the opposition meant that it would be disastrous. Ended up being a fairly easy match, albeit it took conceding first to wake us up. Bit trickier for Germany who just scraped through with a 3-2 win at the Rose Bowl.

[​IMG]

The final, the Germans. A typically cagey affair with neither team finding much fluency in the attacking third. Ended up heading to extra time. Had one sub left, Pellegrini was flagging a bit and had a yellow, so I took him off and introduced Barella. Barella went on to smash in a free kick, low and straight, beating Ter Stegen and sparking a few shouts and swears on my part. That seemed to be a bit of a coup de grace as far as the Germans were concerned as they never properly threatened us for the rest of extra time. 10 odd minutes later and that was that. 20 years on from Berlin and penos and Zidane’s head-*. Italy champions once again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a temptation to resign in the wake of the victory, bow at at the top, quit while ahead etc. But I enjoy using the team as a platform to enrich my Samp players. I’m also really looking forward to phasing out a bunch of the over 30s and ushering in a new wave of young talent. There’s also the added fillet of the 2030 World Cup being hosted by Italy, and the challenge of defending the trophy on home soil. So the plan is to use the Euros to road test a new-look squad and then try for the repeat.

Dell’Oca was crowned player of the tournament and awarded the Golden Ball. Though he somehow managed to do this whilst being overlooked for the so-called ‘dream team.’ But we did manage to get four other players named to it.

[​IMG]

Had 10 players get on the scoresheet. Pinamonti was our top scorer with 5. Barella obviously had a massive impact with his 4 goals, one of which won the cup. Pellegrini was at the peak of his powers with 3 goals and 3 assists.

[​IMG]

3. Seosamh Máirtín

What's the craic with so many * managers that are close to the sack, instead getting new jobs before they're punted?

I've continued from my Celtic save (where I won everything, including UEFA Cup) to Newcastle, where I've won an FA Cup and League cup over two seasons. I decided to take a shot at Sampdoria as they've a tycoon now, but they've given the job instead to a fella who's only season in football was relegating a team from Serie B. Dafuq

4. Barry Robson

Downloaded a 03/04 database, it's pretty much spot on player wise and mager wise. However players like yaya toure, who is still just starting his career at that time comment's on man City . Still good for nostalgia. Spl is as it was then aswell.

Downloaded a 66/67 database aswell, so will try and emulate the Lisbon lions when I get the chance

Also found out you don't have to pay singing on fees or agent fees when buying a player or renewing contract :giggle1:. Just make it 0 and non negotiable, may have to add a wee bit on the wage though and some still reject it after a few negotiations

5. M 67

Re: to your last bit, really useful when selling * players.

A lot of the time, teams want you to cover wages. So you put in wage contribution, then click the wee icon beside it and it’s something like remove from negotiations/ non negotiable. Been that long since I played it so can’t remember, but really handy when selling for removing wage contributions, buying and removing sell on clauses, and negotiating contracts and removing release clauses!

Anyway, why the * do we need to wait until Nov for the next one!?

6. Seosamh Máirtín

Holy *, beat an old Barca team in my 4th season with Newcastle to win the CL :56::drag:

7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Played FM19 for the first time last night. Completed it mate.

[​IMG]

Graeme1888 and kinglenny like this.
  8. Nasser

FM20 details

9. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Amazing how quiet this thread is now a days. The new beta appears to be out. Il be downloading that when im in