1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] George Baldock

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, Jun 4, 2019.

Discuss George Baldock in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    One example.:56:

In general we have a better chance because it's a bigger pool of players, thats what I'm getting at.

England is overpriced in every way for what you are getting.

Gyp Rosetti, Orsenfelt and The IRA like this.
  2. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I think the club should be targeting players from both England and the continent, look where we signed Hooper from and the price we got him for. As you said, English clubs do usually demand higher prices for players but we have also made poor signings from abroad in recent years, so the recruitment has to be a lot smarter. I’m impressed with the signing of Jullien though, that’s level of player we need to aim for.

jpb likes this.
  3. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Pukki, Boerrigter, Bangura, Compper, Brozek...

4. cammy07

VVD, Wanyama, Izzy, Kayal, Johansen, Lustig. You win some and you lose some.

Crilly, Gyp Rosetti and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Exactly just as I was about to post that!

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    On the whole most were low cost. The fees were nowhere near as high as reported for Pukki and Boerrigter.

You could probably provide a fair few more examples but it wont alter how I look at it.

Unless a fantastic bargain rears its head we shouldn't be focusing on England. Since lennon was first here the market has changed drastically. A player like Hooper who scored 20 goals in the championship prior to joining us for instance. If you offered £2.5m now you would be laughed at.

That's not a fair example to use now.

LectersLuncheon and littlekennie like this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We signed Hooper 9 years ago when the average Championship player's salary was £4,059; it's more than trebled since due to increased TV revenue for both the Championship and the EPL, with clubs ramping up spending to reach the riches.

Hooper was the previous season's 3rd top Championship goalscorer, a player of that ilk - for examples sake Tammy Abraham from 18/19 - would immediately cost more than £15 million in a transfer fee and £60k+ per week in wages.

Quite simply we can't compete with the silly money sloshing around in England, it's daft to even try to.

Where we do have an advantage is the cross-border rules that allow us to sign young, promising players for a fraction of what they would cost English clubs. We did it with Dembele and the huns have just done it with Aribo. It's those deals I'd like to see us do more, not the ones where we're competing with clubs like Bournemouth and Huddersfield; we're just never going to get value with that strategy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Look where we signed Scott Sinclair from and the return he’s gave us. Most goals and assists in a Treble Treble run.

Look where we got Moussa Dembele from as you’ve mentioned. We can find value there but we need to be looking elsewhere as well.

Plus when Brexit hits we’ll be left with a team full of people needing work permits :fear:

Gyp Rosetti and Seán Mac D like this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I suspect the rat played a large part in getting Sinclair here. There's no chance he would've rocked up here for Deila.

I'm not saying never shop in England but I would be more selective in when we do it eg. Dembele or Connell when we're paying nominal sums.

Artorias and Liam Scales like this.
  10. Paully1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Look at pukki now, fair play to him but he has said he took the Scottish league too easy and was proved wrong

11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Like Lustig?

12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Toljan cost more than Baldock?

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The manager knew him though and knew he could get the best out of him

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Yes but we still signed him from a club in the English Championship and Moussa didn’t play for Rodgers on my other point.

15. Smithy

Signed a new contract with Sheff Utd. Another target gone. Lock this up.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Sheffield United star George Baldock is back on the transfer radar of Celtic.

Parkhead boss Ange Postecoglou is pressing ahead with his squad rebuild with just over three weeks to go before the Champions League opener against Danish outfit FC Midtjylland.

Right back is one of the key areas the Australian must address.

Postecoglou has a host of alternatives for several positions and Record Sportunderstands Baldock’s name is high on the full-back list.

The 28-year-old was known to Celtic’s recruitment team two years ago when Swedish international Mikael Lustig left the club but he stayed with the Blades to play in the English Premier League under previous boss Chris Wilder.

However, with Wilder gone and United having been relegated into the English Championship, Baldock is again an option.

New Bramall Lane boss Slavisa Jokanovic is preparing to assess his squad for the upcoming campaign in the English second tier after taking charge and it’s understood the club may make personnel alterations following their demotion from the top flight

Baldock signed a new Blades deal last year and, with no concrete move being made at this stage, any potential advancement towards a switch might well hinge on the size of United’s transfer fee demands.

But the defender’s name is in the frame with Celtic needing to boost a crucial area.

Jeremie Frimpong was sold from Parkhead to Bayer Leverkusen last season for £11.5 million and Israeli Hatem Abd Elhamed also returned to his homeland to rejoin Hapoel Be’er Sheva.

The void was filled for the second half of the campaign by loan signing Jonjoe Kenny, but the Scouser has returned to Everton and, although Anthony Ralston has been retained to try and impress Postecoglou, Celtic still need more cover for the right side of their backline.

17. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    With the current state of our recruitment, I could definitely see us looking at previous targets for a few areas.

Question is, is he still good enough for us? Sheffield United were honking last year.

18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    They were absolutely brutal but he was good last year. He’s a good attacking right back and he’s decent defensively. Would definitely take him if he’s on offer.

honda and HTG like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I quite like what I seen of him with them. Seems the steady type.

20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Will probably cos too much. He signed a new contract in December