1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Partly agree that you can't account for mistakes but we were given enough warnings about Brown last season with some of his performances, Lennon should be building the team around Mcgregor and after tonight I don't think he has any excuse not to.

2. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He got it massively wrong tonight and I said that before the game. Ntcham will always let you down and McGregor at left back is a complete joke. Saying that, you can’t legislate for the defensive shambles, which wasn’t entirely his fault.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Both were showing glaring signs of vulnerability and should've been nowhere near the starting line up tonight in my opinion..

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Failed miserably in his first real test since being given the job permanently.

“Knows how to get results in Europe but”

* off.

Xatraps, Colin Robinson and Valhalla like this.
  5. ORIGINALS

And just for the record people who call him neil francis are * weirdos.

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

Sorry but that’s just excuses, our right back slotted in nae bother, Chris has been here long enough to play and Lennon never played him. That’s his fault his selection, subs the whole 9 yards is his fault.

We got targeted down that left hand side and Lennon never changed it the whole game. Big Chris has been here since the 28 of June, * me that’s nearly 6/7 weeks to get him fit.

Sgt Neppers* and Sweendog75 like this.
  7. murphy88

Ntcham didn't let us down at all tonight.

8. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I think Mcgregor's * knackered cause we play him all the * time and now he's having to do his own job as well as cover for Brown.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Angry Neil Lennon warned his players they were about to blow a £30m Champions Leaguejackpot - before watching them commit second half suicide at a shell-shocked Celtic Park.

Scotland’s champions contrived to throw away a solid first leg draw against Romanian big guns Cluj with a woeful opening 45 minutes which saw them 1-0 down at the break - and walking into a dressing room meltdown from their manager who accused them of treating the crunch qualifier like a friendly.

But although quick-fire goals from James Forrest and Odsonne Edouard appeared to turn the tie back around Celtic’s shambolic defending saw them go down to a 4-3 defeat and crash out into the Europa League playoffs.

And afterwards an infuriated Celtic boss Lennon admitted he saw it coming after a first half horror show.

He said: “I said to them, ‘Look, you are blowing it! You’re playing this game as if it’s a friendly! I don’t know if you are disrespecting the opponent but we’re so flat. This is a Champions League qualifier and at this minute we’re going out of the competition. Is that what you want? You’ve not laid a glove on the opposition for 45 minutes and you are far better than that!’.

“Then of course we come out for the second half and we have cleared off the line. Jozo has a header saved and then we score. It's suicidal the goals we gave away tonight.

“I thought we were getting going and when we got the second goal I was thinking it would settle us.

But obviously their second goal gave them a big impetus again.

“In the first half we were so passive. No tempo, I don’t know where that came from. We weren’t physical or aggressive enough. We certainly didn’t work hard enough to stop crosses or second balls.

“All the nuts and bolts of the game - you’ve got to earn the right to play. We went out and tried to play from the off.

“We got a warning before the first goal, we didn’t stop a cross and they missed a header far post. You think that’s the warning but then we do the exact same thing again.

“At half-time we got after them a little bit and got the right response but we shot ourselves in the foot with the goals we conceded.”

After Forrest and Edouard had put Celtic 2-1 up on the night Celtic gifted Cluj an equaliser when skipper Scott Brown handled the ball inside his own box and 9 Billel Omrani slotted home from the spot.

Even then Celtic responded by taking the lead again through Ryan Christie but Ormani made it 3-3 with ten minutes to go before a late winner from sub George Tucudean slammed the tin lid of a nightmarish performance.

Lennon went on: “We had the lead twice and gave it away. The first goal, you are thinking ‘wake-up call’. The second one is an individual mistake. The third goal, we’ve got plenty of defenders back but we just let the guy run off us and get a shot away. We should have done better with the rebound.

“The fourth goal is academic because we are just throwing everything at them to score again. We had enough chances to win the game but wasted 45 minutes tonight.

If we played anywhere near as well in the first half as we did in the second half, we would have been through.”

And Lennon insisted Celtic’s tactics were not to blame for the defeat - despite throwing bodies forward in search of a third goal when the tie was in their favour.

He said: “At 2-1 it’s always in the balance so you need to try and get the third goal. Anything can happen, penalties, a set play, deflection. So it was important we went for it. When we played into Odsonne, we had the chance to make more opportunities but didn’t.

“That’s an aspect of our game we need to look at, we need to be more ruthless. To score three goals at home and not win the game, we’ve only ourselves to blame.

“It’s hugely disappointing for us all as a collective. We have to accept the criticism which comes our way - whether it be from the media, our own supporters or elsewhere.

We need to regroup, qualify for the Europa League and make a strong claim in that.”

But Lennon admitted his transfer plans could be curtailed by the loss.

He said: ““Yes, I’m sure it will but that’s not at the forefront of my last nightmind at the minute. We all wanted Champions League football and we have only ourselves to blame for not getting that.

"We’ve been loose and in important moments of the game we have switched off.

“The players are bitterly disappointed as they have missed out on a good opportunity. We all have. It’s a collective responsibility.

“We had enough quality out there to win the tie over the two legs. We conceded a poor goal away from home and could have scored a couple more away from home as well.

“Tonight we had good chances in the second half but we didn;t take them. That would have put the tie beyond Cluj.”

Cluj boss Dan Petrescu said: “I’m very tired. It was a very nice game of football but not for the coaches. And not for Celtic fans.

“I can’t believe this is the second time my team has scored four goals against a Scottish team having done the same against Glasgow Rangers before.

“All my players need congratulations. I told them they needed to play the game of their lives. I said they needed a miracle to win through and I meant it.

“It’s a pity a team like Celtic won’t be in the group stages of the Champions League – it’s not fair on them.

Celtic should go directly into the group stage.

10. oh bhoy

Cluj ,* cluj and he starts with our best midfielder at lb and Scott Sinclair nowhere to be seen .no * game plan whatsoever back to hoof it football

11. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Tonight is an utter riddy!

NL is 100% open to criticism on this one and has proven alot of us correct who believed he should never have been asked back on a managerial capacity.

Gutted for Eddy and Jamesey tonight. Neither deserved to be on the losing side.

paulie walnuts likes this.
  12. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    By no means the biggest culprit but he should never replace McGregor in a big game.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's no surprise really..

Our captain looks shattered and past his best..

How anyone can't see that is beyond me..

Valhalla likes this.
  14. clonbhoy

Brown shouldn’t have been on the pitch to make it though. He could have no complaints if he was taken off after 20/25 minutes.
    I can understand the thinking in picking that side, but as soon as it was clear that the game plan wasn’t working it should have been changed. That is the criticism here.

15. murphy88

Another thing on tactics, why would you bring Lewis Morgan on for Johnston and leave Griffiths on the bench when we are chasing a goal. I know we scored to go 3-2 up after this, but surely Griffiths has to be the one who comes on at that point.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree we were given warnings but never in a million years would I expect that from him.

Fair enough to lose a man for pace etc but even if his legs are done to then give away a penalty in that manner is something noone would have seen coming let's be plain.

andybhoy94 likes this.
  17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Can’t * believe he moved our best midfielder to left back in a game this big. * idiotic.

Needs to get out of Brown’s * and realise he shouldn’t be a guaranteed starter for us.

18. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Cos Lenny is Morgan daft

19. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Say it again , cup final day , treble treble , celebrations ongoing … went for a beer out the fridge …. wife says " lennon's got the job " * heart sank ! . Board got exactly what they wanted .

DonnyCelt, Callum McGregor and Peej like this.
  20. clonbhoy

That’s a bit harsh on his mammy.