1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    The reason we never made it out the groups, 1 diving * in Turin and two I think we are one of the very few teams not to qualify with 9 points as well.

Plus MON took us to a UEFA cup final for * sake. The team that beat us went on to win the champions league as well.

2. bhoy81

Part in bold, has WGS or Lennon got to a European final in their time as Celtic manager?

Again I put in another post MON got 9 points in the group stage, the same as both Lennon and WGS did.

We are one of the very few sides not to progress with 9 points. So MON has been to a final and achieved the same amount of points as the other two managers has.

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Murph-E

Lennon got 10 points in the Barca, Benfica, Spartak group. Only lost at the Nou Camp to a 94th min hoof into the box as well.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The biggest progression I’ve ever seen from us Europe wise was the difference before O’Neill and before.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Lennon got 10 points and outscored every other Celtic team ever in the CL Group Stage

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Mon never progressed us in Europe?

The *?

The five years previous to Mon our European record was near honking.
    He then had us in the champions League and beating teams like Ajax was a massive step for us.
    Taking us to a * final as well.

He was the * progress.
    All other managers have been judged based on his success since.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

7. Murph-E

MON had his share of poor European results: threw away a 3-1 lead over Basel, lost 1-0 to an average Anderlecht team who were down to 10 men for the majority of the match, but before him we had done NOTHING in Europe for 20 years. Hadn't even stayed in Europe after Christmas for 20 years. The amount of huge wins he got: 3-1 vs Ajax, 4-3 vs Juve, 2-0 vs Liverpool, 1-0 vs Barcelona. By FAR the best we've been in Europe in my lifetime.

For Strachan to perform to a similar level was absolutely sensational. He had to follow the only successful European manager we had for 25 years, many wouldn't have been able to come close. Beat Man United 1-0, beat Benfica 3-0, beat AC Milan 2-1. Last 16 not once, but TWICE with a back 4 of Hinkel-Caldwell-McManus-Naylor. Didn't have as many massive scalps as MON, but with a MUCH lesser and cheaper squad, did phenomenal.

Rodgers' PSG and Barca hammerings were awful, but the manner of his departure now means everybody (including those who offered every excuse possible at the time) acting like everything he did was wrong and terrible. Navigated us through 4 qualifying rounds not once but TWICE. He wasn't exactly backed to the tune of a fortune, either. Had to use O'Connell and Bitton at CB throughout those campaigns at different times. 3-3 and 1-1 draws with Man City were very impressive results. Only a McGregor one-on-one miss away to Monchengladbach away from a win that would have kept us in Europe after Christmas. The 1-0 home loss to Anderlecht was one of his worst, but we hammered them 3-0 in Belgium with a great performance. 2 consecutive Europa League knockout round exits from strong teams in Zenit and Valencia were no embarrassment, and did well to beat Zenit 1-0. Remember, not since 2004 have we actually won a knockout round tie in Europe after Christmas.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  8. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Aye. We used to get pumped out the first round in UEFA Cup nearly every season.
    I’m sure we made the second round once :56:
    Never got near the CL before O’Neill.

jocksteinupper and Liam Scales like this.
  9. bhoy81

I stand corrected regarding the points part then with the managers.

10. Cupid Stunt

I know this will be unpopular, but I'm not liking the soundbites coming from Lennon at all.

I was incredibly underwhelmed with him becoming permanent manager and the only thing that softened the blow was the thought that he wouldn't come back to be a PL puppet, as the reason he left the first time was because he didn't feel he could take us any further with the backing he received. However, I'm not convinced he hasn't just accepted since leaving that he's very unlikely to get a bigger or better job than Celtic given what he's achieved in between and has come back ready to regurgitate the same * to the media we've been hearing for years.

I've also not seen a real reaction from the players (as of yet obviously), I don't think he's reinvigorated the players and given them the injection of energy and inspiration that they desperately need. We really do need to sign a couple of players of quality to add some spark to this squad and I don't know why he keeps hinting at that in one press conference then almost backing down in the next.

Last time he came in, he picked up one of the worst teams we had seen for some time and really turned things around, he's got almost the opposite problem this time around.

There's signs of a return to the old school as well. I really don't like what he's instructing Bain to do. Bain is not the best goalie in the world, his strength lies in his ability to take control of a dodgy situation and play the ball out calmly. Since Lennon has come in he's started hoofing the ball about all over the place, either punting it out the park or conceding possession. His team selection away in Estonia was bizarre as well, not utilising squad players, but playing Brown, Bitton and Ntcham in the same side when we had other options available.

It's not just Lennon either, looking at the bench and seeing Lennon, Duff and Kennedy sitting there just doesn't inspire confidence in me. I just don't see that as a management team capable of turning things around in a difficult situation, whether it be from a man management perspective or a tactical perspective.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of decent signings and it probably wouldn't matter who the manager was and maybe he'll be much more street wise in Europe should we qualify, but whilst we took some pumpings in Europe Rodgers record was actually decent. 2 CL campaigns in a row, draws home and away to Man City, should have beat Monchengladbach away and Europa after xmas from a really strong group.

Now I've said this we'll undoubtedly go and pump St Johnstone and Cluj, qualify for the CL and win the treble, I'm just not feeling that instant connection to Lennon the way I did when he was a player and when he came in as manager last time and I wonder if we are struggling with so many of our transfer targets because we don't have a manager the calibre of Rodgers anymore. From what we've seen of this window, one minute we're in for a couple of players, the next minute they've stalled, then we're in for someone else, then that falls through, it's ridiculous.

Neil Lennon will always be one of my heroes, probably more so from his time as manager than as a player to be honest and the thought of him picking up 9 and 10 would usually have been absolute dreamland, but I'm looking beyond that and I just don't see him as the man to pick us up and get us back to the level we were at under Rodgers.

I'm just not 'feeling it' this time around and I think it's probably as much being incredibly underwhelmed by the direction the club in general seems to be heading in rather than just Lennon himself, but I don't see him as the man to really have a go at the board or be able to attract the quality we need to take the club forward.

11. aliceinsound

Tbf we aren't one of the few teams to not qualify with 9 points, it happened 3 times alone that season.

12. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Before MON, we were absolutely atrocious in Europe. We always got knocked out in the First or Second round of the UEFA cup. For me, when he came in, he really kicked off a new era for us with us having a winning mentality after years of suffering due the cheating from the huns.

MON came in and took us into the CL group stages for the first time ever. If you recall we were in the group with Juventus, Porto and Rosenborg. As mentioned we got 9 points from winning our all 3 home games including that 4-3 classic against Juve and beating a tough Rosenborg team which included Brattbakk. Unlucky to not progress with that points tally as already mentioned.

Then the next season was when we got beat by a then little known Swiss team called Basel which sent us out of the Champions League and on our way to Seville. To today still think we were very unlucky not to have won it.

Then the next two seasons we got to the Champions league group stages again but did not progress. This is where the financial imbalance really started. After years of competing and signed PL A list players like Thompson, Sutton and Hartson we started to find it difficult to attract or afford similar calibre of players.

Then WGS came in, got embarrased by Artmedia but came good the next few seasons getting us to the Last 16 twice. Then followed the hiccup with Tony Mowbray followed by Lenny who continued that momentum from WGS in achieving great results with little bugdets.

Ronny Deila came in and then (in my opinion) tried to change too much too soon. Not just staff/player personnel but also the club culture. But he essentially set up things for Brendan.

Then Brendan came in. Did really well domestically will little/no challenge from the huns but was quite poor in Europe. Against weaker or similar level teams we were alright, but because he insisted on playing the same high intensity attacking game against better opposition we essentially got thrashed each time.

If I were to rank our managers in the last 20 years it would be as follows
    1. MON
    2. WGS
    3. Brendan
    4. Lenny
    5. Deila
    6. Mowbray

Moore likes this.
  13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

Well it's all about opinions mate and your's is particularly well thought out and valid. I guess none of us really know what to expect this time around.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  14. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I'd take a uefa cup final over a champions league 16 place any day of the week

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

johnboy19 and Twisty like this.
  15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Law of averages says the more we get to that stage the likely hood it will happen at some point perfect season for me would be to get in CL groups transfer in to el after Christmas get a decent draw and get into last sixteen of that competition and see how we fair

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s some decent points in there, and I get that things can fee a bit flat when there’s clearly a need to strengthen and we’re slow to do so.

Imo the season has started well. The team are playing well and showing a level of ruthlessness and directness that’s refreshing. Still a lot of work to be done on the defensive side for me, keeping Tierney and getting him fully for would make all the difference here. The Israeli guy (I’m gonna have to actually get his name right at some point) I think will be a pleasant surprise actually.

In Lennon’s time in charge I think he’s actually done well so far. The end of last season was all about getting the treble over the line, and now he has an opportunity to start putting his own stamp on our style of play. Qualifying for the CL groups is still a big ask, and imo we could still do with strengthening a few areas, but we’re making some sort of progress at least.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Metrobhoy either has the worst footballing opinions on this forum, or is a complete troll.

Well, maybe not the worst but close to it.

18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't understand your point of view mate.

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly don't have an issue with the keeper kicking the ball upfield. We haven't got Ramos and pique at the back. Passing it around the back constantly invites pressure. The keeper kicking the ball up field can build pressure. Particularly going into Europe, i.e Tony watts goal against Barcelona, that started with a Forster humping it upfield. It didn't start with Wilson and Izzy having 1-2.

As for the management team itself. Lenny has turned us around in the past, briefly turned the sinking ship that is Bolton around and certainly had a massive impact on the direction hibs where headed. Kennedy although does inspire me either is now working under his 3rd Celtic manager, for his age he has bags of experience. Kennedy isn't blessed with charisma and I think that can distort our judgement of him at times. Duff granted is a rookie on the face of it. But he has played and trained at the highest of levels, he isnt going to be useless either is he.

As for playing brown, bitton and ntcham - Lennon clearly stated before the match it was all about getting the players game time. The tie at 5-0 had been won. It was great opportunity to get some of the players minutes. I.e shved.

To be honest I think you are just continuing from where you were when Lennon was appointed. You voiced your concerns then. And since he has negotiated 2 European ties, winning 5-2 and 7-0 respectively. Signed a lb, cb and rb. Areas we have all been crying out for signings. Ok they are still to be judged but he hasn't done much wrong since he got the job.

Since he has walked back through the door he literally has not let us down against any of our targets. He has met the criteria every time.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: We’re all excited to get the new campaign underway. It’s been a productive six weeks. We’ve negotiated the first ties in #UCL, which means we’ve done well given it’s so early.

NL: "We’ve asked the players, whether this is your first, fifth, eighth league campaign, have you got the hunger to go again? We’ve done that, and they have the hunger and they’re ready to go."

NL: "I’m pleased with the balance of the squad and the collective and individual performances we’ve seen so far. This team has done very well in the past few years but that’s in the past now."

NL: "I think we’ve strengthened in areas where we’ve needed to. We’ve got
    @Leighgriff09
    almost at full strength.
    @mikeyjohnston10
    is making great progress, we could be stronger than we were last season

NL: "The players don’t talk about nine-in-a row too much. That’s something for the media and fans to talk about, but for them, the focus is on week by week, there’s going to be different competitions and different challenges. To get nine would be amazing

NL on
    @ryanchristie2
    : "I’m delighted with what I’ve seen from him so far, not just his goals but also his all-round play. He’s a great professional. He’s had some horrendous injuries, and I think his best is still to come."

NL: "
    @StJohnstone
    have given us difficult games. I expect that to be the same tomorrow. Bayo is fit and in the squad, as is Shved. Hatem is in the squad as well."

20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    * off Neil if you think we have strengthened the areas we need too!

You left last time cause of budget and it’s still same!