1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic 2 v 1 FK Sarajevo, Wed 17th July, KO 7:45pm agg 5-2

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marie, Jul 14, 2019.

Discuss Celtic 2 v 1 FK Sarajevo, Wed 17th July, KO 7:45pm agg 5-2 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't get me wrong we negotiated a potentially tricky tie, with ease, so in that respect it was pleasing. The main thing is to get through the qualifiers.

Just felt we were needlessly exposed at times.

McGregor, Morgan and Mbombo all shone, but defensively throughout the side, we will get done by better opposition.

And Lenny took an eternity to liven it up, made zero sense.

Just left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I get where you're coming from mate but I can't lay the blame at Lennon's door.

We're having to play a CB at RB, a CM at CB and a LB who is still trying to settle in because of injuries and the fact we've not done our business promptly enough. It's only to be expected that we're looking shaky at the back.

StPauli1916 and JC Anton like this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    A lot of good interplay to a point can see some good understandings with McGregor, Christie, Edouard and Forrest with Boli. Was some lovely quick passing and one touch to a point..

Our finishing was minging though. All the shots bar the second half Edouard hit were really weakly struck. We need to be rattling team's like this and in pre season where it's been similar..

Also too open to the counter when we're attacking or give the ball away in our own third..

All in all though our pressing was good. We've got player's at a good level fitness wise already in pre season mixing it well. Very comfortable against an overly aggressive outfit, twice..

We're coming along nicely and should hammer the Estonians next week to get the confidence up even more. Happy enough, now let's get some player's in..

smokie899, JC Anton and Rydo1888* like this.
  4. murphy88

Yes. Did you not read my reply? I was agreeing with you that he isn't a centre half but said I felt he had a good game tonight.

5. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You are more than welcome to stick around :50:

6. joemc

Thought we played decent tonight , wot I spotted though was boli taking way to many risky decisions and staying to far forward meaning we relied on McGregor to bale us out a few times , bitton is the easy target on here at times but I have to defend him here , boli got caught and the error is on him , needs to simplify his game a bit .
    Christie was good tonight alongside brown n McGregor, they are ahead of the rest in touch and fitness .
    As was suggested by others we were caught out defensively, on the counter , a massive area left unprotected pushing to many to far forward , a symptom of Rodgers teams but hopefully these will get sorted with more games and players brought in that are badly needed , I'd give us a 6 out of 10 , feelings we need more goal threats in our team and a settled defence.

Zander and tarboltontim like this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Yep. I think it was just a lack of quality that had your player's going well over the top. Your man who scored should've been off before and straight after wiped one of our player's by the dugouts and got away with it again..

Could see them wanting to swap shirts and high fiving kid's walking towards the tunnel which kinda put it in perspective :50:

Was no different to a midweek domestic game against St Johnstone...no disrespect..

AstonHz and Marie like this.
  8. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    At least he’ll have a fellow Israelite in the changing room now looked like he was smoking a cigar on his phone to his agent during the game smoothing the deal over for Abd el hamed

9. AstonHz

I just have to reply here.

Playing the lower quality domestic BiH league is, you would agree, different than playing Celtic. A football giant...

In our league, our players are faster and have better technique than the opposition, so we can play offensively and not worry much about our goal. Hence the results against the top 3-4 teams in the league, ending with 3-4 goals in their net. Zeljeznicar 0-3 away, Siroki 1-3 away, Zrinjski 1-3 away and 4-2 home...It bothers me that we played like this, but there is no option. If we attacked and went all in, it would be a shameful result, honestly. You have better fitness and technique. It would be suicide.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Sums it up for me.

Some really nice football at times but we need to be far better in the final third. Constantly playing the wrong pass or making an * of the right pass. People were saying their keeper was great but I don't recall him making a save that he really had to work for. Should really be a 3 or 4-0 job in games like that.

Like you said, the next qualifier should be easier than this one so we've got some time now to sharpen up.

11. Ciaran

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The soildier song
    Istanbul.think its the same stadium liverpool won it in 2005.

12. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

How much (if any) ankle was on show? @Seán Mac D

There’s a fine line when it comes to suits & trainers.

Can either look elegant as *, or can look like your running from yer work to central station trying to catch a train home.

13. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Played some nice stuff at times and a few good individual performances. Felt we made a few poor decisions and they broke on us and played through us too easily on occasion. Not sweating it too much as job was basically done last week and we are still finding our feet with players playing out of position and hopefully new players still to come in. Feel like they were actually better than the team we will play in the next round.
    Also, good to get through with no bad injuries as they were overly physical, to put it mildly.

14. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We played some good football even though our finishing and final ball could have been better and we had some really good individual performances from Bolingoli and Christie. Morgan, Bitton and McGregor were good too. The problem has to be our sloppy defending. It's ALWAYS there waiting to happen no matter the opposition or how much we're on top in the game. Sarajevo hardly had a sniff last night until we gave them a chance out of nothing. Luckily it didn't make much difference but against better teams it will.

Whoflungdung and richardm like this.
  15. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Purely out of interest...why was there a Dynamo Dresden flag there in front of your fans...be interested to hear the reason or significance of that.

Hope you all enjoyed your night...where I was sitting it looked as if your fans and team were more than ecstatic with the goal you scored.

16. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Christie was superb and bar the mistake the new guy was impressive I thought. Some good spells of play last night and overall I was fairly pleased with what i saw bearing in mind a right back is required.

These 2nd legs when you have a decent lead can often feel subdued to attend as a fan, even YNWA felt barely half hearted and with a pretty silent crowd other than the GB and when the thumb came on it had more the feel of a midweek game in winter v Hamilton.

I expect next Wed to be a different beast, first leg at home and crowd up for it and roaring from the start...a right back addition before then and I will be optimistic we are on the right track

17. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What was Boli's mistake? I only saw the knock down and finish

18. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Extremely lenient. Several of their tackles could have been red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richardm likes this.
  19. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Boli tried a clearance from about 25 yards out, it was charged down and cue the Keystone Cops.

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

The ref wasn't lenient he was incompetent.

Marie and Whoflungdung like this.