1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

What about Celtic mad, keeps pestering me. Can he relax now that you’ve cleared it up?

2. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Of those 3 only Burnley are for me. :84:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

In European footballing terms, nope

A move to Arsenal will not involve bottom half EPL mediocrity and the odd relegation battle

4. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    May have needed a follow up after the procedure

5. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

He wouldn’t be on it now at Celtic:60:. & he wasn’t offered it 20 years ago to tempt him way.
    That’s the crux of it.

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    None of that stops them being 'proper' teams. I'm with Ronnie here. Of the 4 i'd say Burnley were the 'proper' team n europe has * all to do with whether a club is a 'proper club' or no.

7. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

There's a massive difference between you knocking back a job and KT knocking back am extra 40k or whatever a week. Money talks and in a career that's limited in years, people will jump on high wages because they're a bad injury away from no more big pay days.

Somebody mentioned about insurance in the event of injury but without knowing the details, I wouldn't use that as an argument against going for a higher wage.

I'm a Celtic fan that can't stand the EPL but if I was in his position I would probably go. But unless we know the ins and outs of his current financial situation, it's hard to argue for and against it.

8. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I'm using 'proper club' in the context of the current climate and a potential move for a 22 year old Kieran Tierney. Europe has a * of a lot to do with that, I don't think he even contemplates a move to a club not playing European football.

Folk are acting like he's moving to a bottom half EPL club so he can fill his mattress with bank notes. He's going to Arsenal, one of the top 5/6 clubs in the league, who are at a higher level in Europe than we are.

JC Anton likes this.
  9. TheHappyLoss

Been an odd weekend , getting Julien felt like finding £50, getting the surprise with Connell was like finding a £10 ,Tierney leaving will be like the big guy that lost the £60 coming round and kicking yer baws

StPauli1916 likes this.
  10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I still think it is clumsy as * tbh Bobo. Football isn't just about the top however many richest clubs in the world. If any * tells me I don't support a proper club because we aren't in the epl top 6 I get the proper hump with them.

11. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

As I've said, it was used in the context of a potential move for KT this summer

Officer Doofy likes this.
  12. leeso-ardoyne

If he's not here for the 10, he's in the same mould as that * Rodgers! Yes I get the more money, better league etc.. but ffs, it's only 2 years then we will all wish him well in his big move. These to me are the 2 most important seasons we've had in my time as a supporter. Getting that 10 should be on his mind if he's a real Tim, not wanting more * money!

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't have anything against him going for a higher wage if that's what it is. Plenty of people would. My point is two-fold:

1) There are plenty of non-financial reasons why this would be a good move for him. Reasons to do with developing into the best player his considerable talent will allow and challenging for European trophies. Why are we assuming that it's all about the money?

2) It isn't true that players will always follow the money. Many will, some won't. There have been plenty of counterexamples given already, such as Broony and Paul McStay. As for there being a world of difference between me taking a wage cut and KT tripling his wage, it's not as big a difference as you might think. In absolute terms, yes, but relative to my earnings, not really. I'm on about two thirds of my wage this time last year and around half of what I could have been on had I stayed in my last job. You mention a career that's limited in years, I can promise you that I also have worries about what I will live on if I reach retirement age, because so far I have nothing saved. Most people do. *

Taking both things together, McStay is an interesting example. Talk of him on this thread so far has focussed on the money he turned down for some reason; but in fact it's the development he turned down in Italy that is most impressive. IMHO he was the most talented Scottish player since probably Dalglish and yet there is still debate about whether he could have been genuinely world class had he moved (FWIW I personally have no doubt that he could have). Similarly Paul Lambert moved to Germany and won a European cup and (good though Lambert was), McStay was definitely the more talented player.

I can well understand if KT has these two things in the back of his mind too.

Edit: I just read this * back and realise it reads like I'm saying most people have savings (which may or may not also be true); but in fact what I meant is that most people worry about this. It's not only a worry for footballers (indeed these days less of a worry for footballers).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No, he's not. Sorry, mate, that's just untrue.

15. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Same mould as Rodgers. * off !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bagforlife and Belgian_lad like this.
  16. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Same mould as Rodgers? Nonsense.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony