1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Slippyfist

Suggestions like Benitez and Mourinho are just silly.

If we want a manager who has won the Champions League, then the best bet we could have would be begging Roberto di Matteo to come here, and I certainly don't want that!

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. Jeremie Frimpong

This is just ridiculous.

Who is calling for us to appoint Conte or Mourinho? Wenger has only been mentioned because he is (semi-)retired now.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not sure how you've deduced that but it's a bit daft to be demanding top level managers when you can't name one that you think is realistically achievable.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

Juande Ramos is who I wanted when we went and got Mowbray. Think he went to CSKA Moscow instead. Loved the *, probably past it now though. Some interesting names in there though. If we had to, we need to make sure the mentality is right.

We can’t risk the 10 mate.

Now we’re narrowing it down a bit, it’s just figuring out who is attainable then. Who you think is an ambitious appointment because we’re into very subjective levels. We also can’t go scattergun with that, we need to narrow it down.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    * looking for a ‘top level manager’. Like I said, 2 of them I probably wouldn’t even count as the top level anymore in Mourinho and Wenger.

6. Jeremie Frimpong

Where did I demand a top-level manager, then?

7. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Clubs all over Europe are announcing managers for next season and no doubt trying to get players in from their shortlists.
    Yet here we are waiting on whether or not Lennon wins the Scottish Cup to see if we will offer him a job or not.
    We should offer it now or not at all. Get it out the way and start to rebuild.
    Otherwise there will no * left to talk to, we will end up with Lennon anyway but without a * squad of players to start the qualifiers.

Xatraps and Liam Scales like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The one name I’m very surprised hasn’t been mentioned on here, which I was expecting to need to rubbish, is Julen Lopetegui.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

I dwindled on mentioning him, but thought "nah" :56::56::56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He fits the exact profile that a lot are wanting - ambitious, managed at a high level, reputation a bit tarnished so we could ‘show ambition’ by going for him, used to being at a club that are massive in there country but need to punch above there weight in the CL in Porto.

A club that buys young and cheap, sells high....

He not the exact type you’d be thinking of @Vertie?

11. NorwichCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Rogic All time - Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Really want jokanovic , played brilliant football with Fulham , promoted youth , got Watford promoted too , got recruitment wrong when promoted to premier league but they would be in a much better position if they stuck with him.

Think he’d be a great person to replicate Rodgers success

12. Mr. Slippyfist

I still think Juande Ramos would be a good appointment. Obviously his time at Spurs is seen as a flop, but hey ho it's English fitba so * them, managed Real to a certain degree anaw - n oeasy feat, even if it didn't end up well for him.

Villas Boas is another name, think it would be good, but something telling no no no...

If I were on the board I'd be looking at a few things mate:

- availability (clearly free agent is best bet, or someone in last year of contract)

- someone capable of COACHING footballers

- someone who has managed in one of 5 countries in the top flight (england, france, spain, italy, holland, germany)

- someone who has won silverware

- someone who has competed in, or at least almost got into European compeition

- someone who will develop youth players

- someone with good contacts in the footballing world

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't mean you specifically, although that's maybe how it came across. I mean people are saying a 'top level manager' is the target but of all the ones listed above and on this thread I can't think of a genuine 'top level manager'. That doesn't mean that Lennon is the only option like you suggested though.

Guys like Cocu, Wagner, Potter could all turn out to be successful appointments if we went for them but I don't see how anyone could argue that they are genuinely 'top-level'

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

Couldn't possibly ever see him taking us on, so it's a no from me.

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Rafa Benitez ticks all of those boxes

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Either could I mate, but he is an unrealistic one that is available that fits the profile. The debate I’m having with @Vertie at the moment is we’d be daft and wasting our time (which we are running out of) talking to.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    What’s the reasoning behind managing in the top 5 countires, out of interest? It’s not something I’ve considered at all.

18. Mr. Slippyfist

Guys like them lot are probably "top level" for us, not overall.

Pretty much like signing somecunt like.....I dunno, Callum Wilson from Bournemouth would be a top level signing for us, but certainly isn't a top player at the highest/higher echelons of worldwide football players.

celtic warrior likes this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

The footballing standard is generally better in these countries, so if you're managing against better quality there's a fairer chance that you've developed your footballing coaching skills better than you would have managing in.....say.....Norway. Not always the case of course, but out of general conversation I'd say so.

Also, reputation. You've more chance of attracting better quality players with a reputable coach. Again, not always the case, but generally.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

@\o/ forgot to suggest Gian Piero Gasperini.

Doesn't play the MOST attractive fitba, but * me he squeezes out every inch of quality from the players he has at his disposal most of the times.

An ambitious appointment, probably beyond the realms of reality, but somecunt like that we should at the very least be asking the question of "would you be interested in speaking to us with regards the managerial position".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.