1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Blaming only having one striker for our lack of goals under Lennon doesn’t make any sense. Bayo played about 20 minutes of football and Griffiths hasn’t been available most of the season.

The Snake managed to bring in players like Burke, Weah, Johnston and they scored.

Some of the excuses people are making for Lennon just now are getting ridiculous.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

We could be doing with a fit Leigh Griffiths, but yes we DO have more than one attacking option at the club, and they aren't being utilized.

Weah should be playing up top with Edouard, or just off him.

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Obviously but the Lennon In brigade seem to be using Griffiths and Bayo not being fit as the reason for our sudden lack of goals. They’ve not been there most of the season.

4. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Think we should play Burke or weah who've scored goals since they came in out wide and move hayes to left back as cover for Tierney, with a front 3 of edouard forrest and burke/weah I think we'd be much more of a goal threat.

Tommy25 likes this.
  5. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Things have gone flat under Lennon, expected more from him, maybe being in limbo has affected both him and the team. We will win the league obviously but we arent doing it with Celtic style, we should skoosh Hertz and get the treble treble but some how it doesn't feel like we are doing it in "style" so I dunno about Lennon anymore ... he could get a treble and not get the job !

6. MattD

You have to move heaven and earth to get somebody like David Wagner in. And that means being brutally honest and admitting that there are also far better names out there than the unambitious choice of staying with Lennon.

Good football but more importantly, promoted a Huddersfield side that had no right to get promoted based on the squad quality. Perhaps arguably the weakest team to have ever come up to the Premier League, yet he did and he kept them in it for two seasons. Bigger achievement than what Rodgers did at Swansea in my opinion.

Immense achievement, knows the importance of fan culture, good developer of young talent and plays good football. This parochial narrow minded (akin to the Little Englander mentality) that a foreign coach wont understand Scottish football it is utter *. Very similar to Klopp in his qualities - I genuinely believe with a good squad he can make them outperform (and this Celtic team would be way better than what he had at Huddersfield).

We’ve got to look at managers who will leave a legacy on the club. Somebody like Wagner would be able to take the club to the next level with his continental expertise. Leave a good structure in place, make the club a fertile environment for developing top youngsters and be known for attractive football. Wagner is my choice.

Sticking with Lennon stinks of unambition. We need to be a forward thinking club that can beat clubs with more resources, not just one that pines to beat Rangers in the league.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  7. Keano88

Checked his and Huddersfield’s records out yesterday and wasn’t that impressed tbh.

5th in the championship and promoted through a play-off and the team didn’t seem to score a lot of goals.

8. MattD

As I said, a poor side that were predicted to move down the leagues as opposed to up and had no right to get to the Premier League with that squad.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Paul Lambert arguably done better taking Norwich from League 1 to the Premiership in 2 seasons and maintaining their survival in the 3rd.

10. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Aye he's doing a great job, he has just got Ipswich relegated to league 1

11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We did perfectly fine for goals under the snake when Edouard was out the team and then playing 30/60 mins to get his fitness back. Yes we need a striker or Griffiths back, but no it’s not the reason we’ve struggled to score.

12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Ipswich are a mess and were basically * when he took over.

13. MattD

I get what you’re saying - Lambert has done nothing since Norwich managerial wise and so that could prove to be the case for David Wagner too.

So David Wagner could be a flash in the pan? Nope, I wholeheartedly don’t think so.

Wagner wasn’t operating on nearly the budget Lambert had. Sure, Lambert wasn’t spending ridiculous money, but Norwich had windfall payments from previous Premier League exposure with finances a lot more comfortable than Huddersfield (always have been more comfortable than Huddersfield).

Huddersfield fans could not speak higher of him, and even in the Championship which is awash with a lot of money these days, his performance there was exceptional. In fact, quite similar to what Klopp did with Mainz in fact, with such limited resources.

He is spoken highly in development terms too, developing a good youth structure at Hoffenheim and Dortmund. He has a keen awareness for developing youth and he could really help our young lads push on. Man-management wise, he is brilliant - Huddersfield and ex-Dortmund players can lay claim to that.

This wouldn’t be a Ronny Deila experiment - if anything he’s safer than Lennon having operated in top class uber-competitive environments awash with money.

Tommy25 and Whoflungdung like this.
  14. oldpat

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wagner got Hudds promoted on a shoestring budget,and kept them up in their first season on less money than any other EPL club..He would be a good shout for me,as personally think Lenny is only here short term

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    I would go with a 442 in the remaining games if I was Lennon, starting both Edouard and Weah, we need goals.

Big els likes this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

People still going on about being one point further ahead than the huns than we were under Rodgers as a positive for Lenny :56:Has to be one of the worst defences of his performance so far.

Rodgers had us 8 points clear. Lennon has gained 1 more point than the huns since he arrived. He's also seen a 13 point gap close to 9 points in the last two games.

Far from a sign of progress.

Tommy25, MacEwan and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m certain we could drop more points and lose the final and the Lennon defenders would still not criticise him.

Tommy25 and Officer Doofy like this.
  18. Mince.Charming

I'm certain we could win the treble after a tough season and you * would be moaning. Probably ruin your cup final if we only won 1-0 :lenny1::giggle1:

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

That’s the difference between the two sides of the debate. We’d recognise when a good job has been done if he wins it, you lot can’t recognise when criticism is deserved when it’s not a good job. You’ve given him the position before he’s even earned it. Praising 0-0 draws. If you want to lower your standards, be my guest. Don’t complain if it backfires next year.

We were spanking teams while we were playing twice a week and had countless injuries. What’s the excuse for this form? Still not had one answer to any of my previous questions.

Tommy25 and Valhalla like this.
  20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Pish. Your view is no more or less entrenched than most on here, however you are incapable of seeing that.