1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celts67

Comments Thread For: Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde - Purse Bid Set For April 8
    Last month, the World Boxing Organization officially ordered a light heavyweight contest between WBO world champion Sergey Kovalev and undefeated top challenger Anthony Yarde. The sanctioning body gave both sides thirty days to negotiate and reach an agreement.
    https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811076

2. Nasser

Very interesting on the pro's and con's of being a modern-day journeyman, how they often get screwed if the fight goes on points against a prospect, the often very short notice of fights, the balance between not being too * but not being too good and being expected to lose. I didn't know they get 1k a fight, sometimes 5k a fight and they can fight 4 times a month, I always thought they get about £150-£200, that is pretty good money I know there is some risk but that aint bad.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Why would anyone step foot into a professional boxing ring for 150 quid? :56: I wouldn’t take a dig off a flyweight for 150 quid.

A grand a fight is still * money IMO.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    4 time's a month for a journeyman getting whacked up by mustard prospects around the world?

No chance it's 4 time's a month when you see the damage being inflicted on them..

Most will have other full time work. It isn't worth it but there has to be punch bag's that will do it..

Got to respect these Guatemalan lightweights for example that will fly around the globe pretty potless knowing fine well they'll be mauled everywhere they go. Brave or stupid, you have to have pretty big baws to do it once, nevermind pretty regularly..

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Just been watching the Loma/Crolla fight recorded there..

Firstly. Lomachenko is just sensational..

Secondly. That referee is a * absolute disgrace..

I was sitting in disbelief how he didn't stop the fight in the third when Crolla was taking double figures hanging off the ropes. To then let it go in to the fourth where it was obvious to anyone that Lomachenko would get him...was disgusting. Referee didn't wave it off when he was sparked out and was still counting..

He caused that ko 100%..

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Refs in combat sports get a hounding for stopping fights early. I’d much rather a fight is stopped and a fighter walks away with his health. If you’re wondering whether you should stop it, you should probably stop it. Haven’t seen this case but your description says it all.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Yep..

I don't like premature stoppages but he was getting punched up on the ropes with no comeback around 20 punches teeing off..

He then looks like he's rightly stopping it. Lomachenko is away celebrating and he starts counting. Crolla was done and had no answer from very very early on you could see he knew it was a thankless task..

To then watch him come out and anyone watching knowing he's gonna get stopped the next round, to see him sparked out face down and the ref slow and then counting..

Beggars belief. Should never ref again for me. I'm sure he's highly rated as well. Didn't catch his name but seen him in big fights before 100%..

MacEwan likes this.
  9. Niall1980

Lomachenko is some fighter

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Technically and the way he moves....he might be the best for me..

His power is underrated as well. Smashed Crolla from the off who is done for me but the way he dispatched of Linares was impressive as well being the smaller man considerably..

Niall1980 likes this.
  11. Nasser

Yeah his power caught me off guard, I thought that's what he lacked but I don't now. Crolla didn't like that power one bit, Loma aims for the temple and if he doesn't get that he aims for the side of head the guy is so precise he's a surgeon with the shots he picks. I loved the way he cornered Crolla that reminded me of early GGG the way he would hunt his opponent and close down the space and corner them. Lomachenko v Mikey Garcia is going some fight if it happens.

12. Nasser

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Crolla is known for being durable with a good engine and can absorb punishment..

He was reddening almost straight away though and hurt early. He clearly didn't want to know..

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Just watched the last 2 rounds again..

Get's worse the more you see it..

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Watched a rerun this morning as I fell asleep and missed it, Crolla should never have been in there with Loma. He could’ve really damaged the guy.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't know how many guy's Hearn is gonna take to the states to get blitzed. He's done it so many time's with guy's nowhere near the calibre they're facing..

Aye that finish was damaging. The ref and Hearn in the first place for taking him....deffo to blame..

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Loma he looks is just stupidly good. It must be terrible to be a highly rated fighter and share a ring with him and just be completely and utterly out of your depth, so much so that you may as well be taking part in a different sport.

His constant movement in and out as well as his lateral movement must be exhausting to face, and equally exhausting to carry out, but he barely ever looks like he’s even breathing heavily.

Just a special athlete. The kinda guy that could turn his hand at pretty much anything and quickly get very good at it.

Slaw likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

How did Salido manage to beat him? Albeit a good few years ago now.

Was it a poor decision?

19. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

This is going to be painful.
    Hope Crolla don't suffer too much.

20. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Bizzare. Crolla will regret protesting.