1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Question] Chromebook vs Windows vs Mac vs Linux?

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Lilac Wine, Feb 10, 2019.

Discuss Chromebook vs Windows vs Mac vs Linux? in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Looking to have a go at upgrading a laptop that fecking Intel aren't going to patch. I have a 10 year old Samsung that maybe I could use for stuff that don't require an internet connection. (apart from streams which could be risky on my main pc.)

I have a laptop that is being patched so that's coo. Go AMD!

I would like to be able to have 15 tabs open one time on streaming match day.

Also like to have a good few YouTube videos running simultaneously.

I have a different PC for any heavy duty stuff.

I'm torn between Chrome and Linux as you can strip them down and remove bloatware which makes even old computers handle everyday tasks?

The huns grammar school final exams. Out of 200 kids 2 made it to Uni exame. Cider and Dev like Butch Cassidy and the Sundan Kid. "You must be very proud." Nah, nobody likes passing a test for the huns but Scotty Allan is in deep * so we thought we'd to it fo old time sake.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    As much as I like Apple I wouldn’t touch their latest MacBooks, you can get far more for your money with way more ports.

PorchBhoy67 and Lilac Wine like this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Why do you ever need 15 tabs at one time? And why do you need more than one YouTube video playing at once?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Most random requirement I've read. :giggle1:

5. TimFloyd Gold Member

Sorry I only have knowledge of computers that can keep 14 tabs open.

6. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What's the tale here? What's the issue with these newer Macs? Genuine question.

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    They have cut down on various ports to connect your other devices, and the specs aren’t great given some of the hardware out there at present. I’m sad to say Apple have went from having some brilliant stuff to being solely about the money.

8. Pharad

The Mac's run really good and don't get watered down as soon as Windows computers do, though. A mac from 5 years ago will do a better job at everyday tasks than a windows computer. That being said, they are very overpriced if you only look at the specs.

9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's mostly Wikipedia that causes it to happen because I bet you can't find an article with at least one link to describe or explaining the much larger meaning of the word and then when you start reading that link withing 2 sentences there will be another word explaining either the etymology of the word or why it's used in such a manner i this context and there we have and ever ending fractal which ends up taking two days to read :56:

Although I have noticed they've made it more user and memory friendly by highlights the brief explanation of any word that is identified as a leak.

It can be great of you're in the mood but taking too long and by the time you hit 'Reply' in the thread it's moved on a few million years of evolution.

So yeah that's why I sometimes have 15 tabs open, so I can quickly jump back and forth trying to get to a relative meaning of the basic idea of how a song was created, why it's so popular and even how it's musically constructed but I never go that far down the rabbithole, maths and music is integral but offt it takes some amount of concentration. Plus, it's only going to start a troll fest as soon as one mentions that
    sophisticated music is actually more to do with one's understanding of high brow maths than the itself.

Not that I've ever said that, I mean if folk wanna be snobby elitists then that's up to them.

Apparently Jepsen's single of 2012 "Call me Maybe" is one of the best pop songs ever and I remember thinking that at the time even though pop isn't my favourite genre but it turns out it used lots of high brow techniques, stuff that Mozart would use. I'm assuming they meant notes :56: Was some year, Titanium and Call Me Maybe

What I dont understand about PCs, Laptops, Tablets and Macs is they all appear to have much more processing power that we'll ever need. I think even now they're developing 8K cameras which means all those 4k tvs everyone just bough are going to be used as electronic art savers for the wall.

Oh yeah sorry, I remember reading years go it was Jobs insistence on design to match the technology, that round spinning wheel took them absolute ages I read even though the MP3 players was ahead of its time. But that's visionaries for you, if it wasn't for his insistence on style in tandom with substance then it's highly unlikely Apple would received such a cult following. I mean thousands of people queuing up outside a shop to get the first iPod or iPhone? I could understand it with tickets for concerts because then you get the best seats but I don't know what the different e in a day is.

Plus the genius of Jobs was also highlighted when we seen that thing Microsoft made, a mate had one and I looked at and it looked ok but there was no wow factor and it bombed, how bad a design team is that for that kind of money,

Regarding football history, there was a Liverpool player from Australia who developed a boot with thicker wedges at the front that were .guaranteed' to give more control and swerve. I'm sure they were a massive hit even though I don't think anyone used them now, unless with must more subtle wedges. I always like to think it was the Aborigine ancestral history in him making a boot a boomerang so if it didn't hit anything it just cam back to hou :33::36:

Jeez oh I sent right off tangent there, reading Google there are a few opinions but overall they seem to be pionting toward Ubuntu Linux becase it's user friendly but also has the security of Chrome if you stay away from dodgy sites like sports streaming sites :eek1: :fear:

Peej likes this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye, but two YouTube videos at one time?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

11. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Got another 4gb of RAM for £8 so I checked it out this evening.

15 YouTube videos all running at once for half an hour and not once did it freeze!

Briefly to explain why that absurd amount of tabs was mentioned.

Some weekend nights I like to spend a lot of time in the Music thread listening to what folk have posted while I read the rest of the site and loading a whole page of songs up first makes it a lot easier to just switch each tab off once the song is finished and if I get distracted to a Wikipedia article then I end up with link upon link having to be opened. The laptop kept freezing and I had to restart.

Quite pleased it was a success, didn't think it would.

12. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    [​IMG]

13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :giggle1:

Shoosh, just cause you're still amazed you can get * by typing 5318008 into your calculator.

[​IMG]

"Oooh I'm bored, feel like dancing but it's outside, what will people think. Where the * is Bowie anyway, he said he had something exciting planned. Oh here he comes, dressed like a fecking flasher, whatever he's got in mind, I'm not taking part with him dressed like that." "Sorry I'm late Big Mick, bumped into Keith and he gave me something special." "It better not be satisfaction." "Oh it's better than that, and look at the outfit I got you for our charity video." "Look Ziggy I know you're a bit mental when it comes to fashion sense but Keith would have to have given you something very * special if you think I'm wearing that." "Shut up and stick out your tongue you slag." "Oh alright darling but I better not hear that jacket getting unbuttoned."

[​IMG]

15 Tabs Later.

14. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Personally I think it would be a matter of trial and error to see which system works best for your demands, and i say that simply because I never have had that many instances of a browser all open and running different things at the same time.
    My personal go to off the top of my head would be Linux all the way, but i am biased there, more recent Linux distro's I feel are getting a lil bloatware like themselves. There's two main flavours of Linux too the Debian based ones e.g. kali, Ubuntu, Mint etc and the Red Hat based ones like Fedora, Centos, Oracle. However with Linux you can put on as little or as much stuff as you want.
    I cannot speak for a chromebook as i've never used one and I have never used a (proper MAC) with real mac dedicated hardware. You can however run it on an Intel based solution like i do with my "Hackintosh" system.

At the end of the day everything all comes down to cpu speed and Ram power, especially ram. My Recording machine running Pro Tools and involves quite a few software synths and drums runs great, however it is running 32gig of ram.
    Best of luck with your decision and i hope whatever one you go for works for ya.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ooft Pro Tools, I wouldn't even attempt to load that. Well mainly cause it's incredibly complicated to use. It's like getting Photoshop on Bit torrent only to find out you need to go to Night School for a year.

I doubt you could use a Chromebook for that cause their main memory is 32gb ha.

32gb of RAM is wild but understandable cause if you're composing a song it must take up so much processing power to keep all those instruments going and I think they're sampled to the highest quality too. I'd love to be able to use composing software, don't even have to worry about learning an instrument and no * notes!

They must be so advanced now too cause thinking about how incredible the Chemical Brothers were, that was ages ago. Not heard anyone better than them since mind which is strange seeing as that software is more accessible. Wonder what kind of power their equipment had.

Unless Pro Tools is just a DAW and I'm talking rubbish? I remember reading it's the Industry Standard for professionals like Photoshop is.

Macs were meant to be music makers computer of choice weren't they? That why you made a 'Hackintosh'?

I was going to load Chromebook onto an old laptop but after a quick read it turns out it's not quite the same, don't get quite the same high security and it's better with a Minimal Ubuntu install. As you say, Linux is handy for being able to strip down to the very basic stuff one needs. Torvalds uses Fedora cause he thinks Ubuntu is too difficult to install. I dunno how it could get easier, it's just Yes or No buttons and a password.

Then again Huawei have just come out with the Matebook X Pro which is meant to be the best laptop made haha just after making the best smartphone. No wonder the Americans are saying China has implanted spyware chips into all their products. Dunno what OS that has on it or if it's just blank. It's over £1500 though.

Still quite surprised to learn only 3% of personal computers run Linux. Mind you every Android and the Chromebook are basically Linux.

Did I mention Google have doubled their Bounty for anyone who can demonstrate a remote hack into a Chromebook, $100,000. I can't help thinking the people who could actually do it after a couple weeks research would probably not think that was worth it. Or Black Hats would probably find a way to make a lot more by cracking it and not letting on.

Google don't allow installing anything outside the Play Store but I'm sure Apple's app store is much safer and runs far more tests so that's a strange one. Macs have vulnerabilities, just not interesting for hackers cause few folk use them compared to Windows.

My demands range from low to high for which I have a boutique PC. Mostly though it's low power internet browsing and forums.

Will probably give the Chromebook a go, just to test it out.

Your computers protected from the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities? Bit of a bummer intel are only going 5 years back. No known exploits in the wild yet but it's only a matter of time. Still, replacing a CPU isn't too pricey when weighing things up. Unless you're using a laptop, then it's a pain. Though there are no known exploits in the wild so nothing to panic about.

As a musician I imagine it's storage that's more important to you than any hack of processing or RAM?

Got any tunes you ready for us to hear or you wanna remain anonymous? I've recorded tunes and to give you an idea of how bad they were, I deleted them after one listen. So weird why I didn't realise before I recorded them, I don't know how that's possible. Maybe wheen I was singing I was so loud I couldn't hear how bad my voice and strumming were. It's a bummer too cause I cracked open a can of lager and sat back relaxed and pressed Play. Oooft I should've cracked open 5 cans first.

scuzzy likes this.
  16. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    LOL yeah Pro Tools does have a little bit of a learning curve, but not really that much different to other DAW's they all do basically the same thing. A few years back Pro Tools would only work with digidesigns/Avids own hardware as it had onboard processing to help with the speed of things. It's much more easier to get it now without having won the lottery, when they moved over to start taking advantage of the Intel chips it meant that they could now run on i486 so that opened up a whole new world to people who wanted to use it as it meant it could now be ran on windows based hardware aka you can just build it yourself. I do have a bit of hardware from Avid notably thier Eleven Rack effects processor and Audio Interface which ships with the DAW (Pro Tools) Free. I got that for my 50th here's a link to it https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-eleven-rack or do a search on google for avid eleven rack to see some youtube vids of it to get an idea of how it sounds and what it does.
    I went with that larger memory capacity simply for the software synths like Omnisphere and drums like Superior Drummer 2 or BFD. However once you find the sound your wanting to use just record that to an audio track as a .wav and then you've freed up memory you used for a synth track and don't have to worry so much about running all those instruments simultaneously. My Music system is just an i5 with the 32 gig ram running win 7...so not overly demanding, I have 3 Hard drives in it one is the system one is the softsynths and one is for the audio files.
    You are correct Pro Tools is considered the Industry Standard IMHO just coz the big studios use it and charge a fortune for recording and run high end Apple Macs.
    I have used other DAW's in the past too I started with Cakewalk now called Sonar and then the excellent Reaper which is/was free (I think i saw they now charge £60 for it, but i may be mistaken on that). To be honest most people can get into home recording now as it's getting cheaper all the time all you need is a half decent computer and an audio interface like say the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for about £100 - £110 that has 2 inputs in case you wanna do say a bit of strumming and singing at the same time (some people do), and a DAW that's it.

Pro Tools back in the day all ran via Macs, there was no other way that's the only reason they were considered the music machine of choice but not anymore in my opinion.

On to Linux well yeah i heard Torvalds didn't like the debian based systems and he prefers the red hat side of things so i know he prefers Slackware or Fedora, however personally i'm the opposite anything down the Debian side is my preferred choice but like everything else it's all down to every individuals tastes. This machine runs several OS's via VirtualBox Windows 7, 10, XP, 95 and even DOS 6.1, Kali Linux, Ubuntu, free BSD, Parrot Security, and Mac High Sierra.

As to Huawei, well LOL I personally thinks that's just the Americans with their nose put out of joint coz with this they know they ain't considered the best and everyone want's to buy thier stuff ...Power mad an all that pish. I say healthy competition is good for you ohh and as regards the spying three letters on that NSA :40:
    The Matebook X Pro i've seen is 13.9" screen with an i7, 8 gig ram and a lowly 512 SSD all for just under £1500 and that's all i know about it, I'm not a huge Lappy fan is they aren't the greatest things for upgradeability.
    I'm quite shocked to hear that only 3% is running linux I wasn't aware of that, but i wonder if that survey was for home users or bussiness users, be interesting to find out.
    I'm not sure why there's been no attempt at that google bounty to be honest as every computer system is hackable (another nod goes to Linux esp Kali for those capabilities) :57:

The Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities are still available on my systems as all my machines are a few years old these days. It's not just the price of the replacement chips tho, if the cpu slot is different then that's a new Mobo too and probably new ram as well, so if you got a few machines it soon mounts up.
    I'd agree that storage is a deffi when it comes to music recording esp if your running at 48k which is what i do as opposed to 44.1, as it gives better headroom, so every track takes more space Mb wise.

HAHAHA yeah next day syndrome is fun, you could spend hours getting a song to where you think it should be and sounds good to listening to it then on playing it back the next day and thinkin' * was i doing.
    Unfortunately I am not gifted with the singing ability more in the choked cat territory, however there is an exceptional plug in that can fix anything even a baw hair out called "Melodyne" which i also have but just never actually got around to messing with it yet.
    Hmm I got nothing finished here on this puter just One or Two that i was working on, no levels set right or fully mixed some with too much distortion but I think i can only upload 1mb max and don't see any .mp3 option either. ! *.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just having a wee gander at a review of the Eleven Rack for guitar on YouTube. That is some piece of kit, Hendrix would've went nuts in the digital world considering his love of effects and more importantly his instinctive knowledge of them which was supernatural.

Pro Tools gave you a $500 bit of kit free with their DAW? :eek1: How much is the * software? When you mentioned Cakewalk it reminded me of Friuty Loops, there was a time about 20 years ago when me and my mates first got computers and we'd get a few beers and start making dance music, it was like hitting random buttons and going wow check this out, yes man that's fucknig quality Trance with a twist, a twist of what? I dunno man it's your tune. Aye man, sweet :dancing: :hi5:

Anyway it made me laugh cause that kind of software was so new to us, just even being able to choose a drum rhythm was jaw dropping especially after a joint we really thought we were going to learn how to compose. Then I went to a Music Industry Exhibition in the Arches, this is like 2005 ages ago software wise and this guy was demonstrating what you can do with a DAW. He was taking * single notes and smashing them into 16 seperate beats and moving them over to other parts of the song and then showing how a drum beat can be changed so the groove builds up and on and on and then I knew, I'm just gonna stick to strumming the guitar on the weekend, whatever the * that guy just did would've taken me years to learn. I did have a much greater respect for club DJs after that cause that was the kinda thing he was showing, how to connect different pieces of music into one continuous flow. No instruments at all. Was nice to feel like a sophisticated muso for an afternoon cause I was milking it,, walking up closer when he said if you like Tony Williams then you'll enjoy the samples we've made, have a look at this, now I'll add some phase, bit of analogue delay, bit of short digital delay for that authentic reverb :humpani: Nodding my head the whole time. Anyway there is a brick wall in the learning curve of sophisticated software, as I said it is well designed for folk who are patient and disciplined but mostly youu have to be creeative. No matter how easy something is to play, the laws of human nature means some folk are going to make it souind even better than you thouoght it could. I don''t mean that in a negative way, more positive cause once we accept that we realise the most important thing is if we enjoy it. There aree so many artists in the world, they were all beginners at some stage. I've heard loads of naturally talented people but the most satisfying stuff always comes from folk who think about what they're creating. I find it's unfortunate that working class culture doesn't encourage this and you'll see a lot more pianos and violins in middle class homes than housing schemes, the land of the guitar. It's the only thing I know how to play, though that's a stretch.

Let me rant a little more here cause I don't know if it's just me but I need to know. Has it ever crossed your mind that working class culture has this myth about music being a natural talent and all the best guitarists are self taught? Hendrix, Clapton, Beck etc etc. I'm not for a second being a snob here, I've lived in a scheme all my life, well most of it. I believed this guitar myth and purposfully refused to take lessons because of it :56: I was told it would make me sound like everybody else, only self taught guitarists sound original cause only they play that way. Then way too late I discovered Steve * Vai, one of the greatest guitarists and he knows more about the instrument than probably anyone and took lesssons his whole life, learnt how to transcribe songs, how many self taught guitarists can transcribe Zappa when they're 19? Ok ok I'm using an extreme to make the point. Then the more I thought about it and read about Jimi and Van Halen I realised, yeah they were self taught and true all the extremely talented have a natural ear which separates them from mere mortals but what they have in common with the middle class folk is they played with other musicians and they played a lot, like hours a day practisinng. The giant leap comes when folk start gigging regularly cause then they are always mixing with other bands and swapping ideas with others and seeing up close and personal how they're covering the greats.

I need to stop there cause I think you catch the drift. A semi talented person who is taught well and is disciplined enough to practise techniqes will quicky outperform and sound better than a naturally talented ''self taught' musician. I just * wish schools would sort that * out. It's the same with football, they teach it to kids on the continent whereas here it's all about naturally gifted players. How come all these brilliant midfielders are Spanish? Anyway, if I was in a position of power I would make it mandatory all kids get taught the value of technique and skills aren't this mysterioius thing for the random few, skills are learnt with discipline. It sounds like I'm a crying little * but it's totally * up the working class especially after what that cow thatcher did to industry, saying ah they caan all learn to do something new. Well is that right ya cow why didn[t you * teach them that when they were young then? Left whole towns to rot and unconfidence and belief in nature vs nurture the class system reinforces in every aspect of life.

Anyway, Pro Tools 'only' costs $700? Amazing they give away that rack. Isn't it incredible all the sounds of vintage amps and effects that thing has. A mad scientist's wet dream. I like how you learned to use it, you must have some long nights losing yourself in the jam, is that a phrase, it sounds like something a * would say but I don't know how else to express what I mean :lager: You know what I mean, you must go on some trips with so many different sounds. I don't play anymore but something weird I found was when playing different sounds on electric I could play better or worse. Like my technique playing distortion was horribly messy but smooth with chorus the guitar neck actually felt smooth too :eek:

I never managed to learn how to pick fast and it winds me up so many guys on YouTube can do it. I mean this guy demonstraing the rack is showing how to play Petrucci or something now, the *.

Steve Vai btw, dunno if you've checked his You'tube out, he's incredibly inspiring. So down to earth and talks about loads of different aspects of guitar playing from effects to basic exercises and always so , * what's the word for when someone is talking to you like a mate and not sounding too esoteric? Why am I asking you, you're not going to say it to me :rolleyes:

I've never checked out DAW videos before though, apart from that one afternoon. Do producers really need the hardware now? I know a decent pair of monitors is still essential for mixing but all those knobs like Eddie Kramer used, do you have anything like that or do you just have them all available on screen? I find it quite overwhelming even thinking about being able to differentiate sound that forensicaly. I mean it's like 3 musicians and the producers has 300 control buttons, and they can't be there for show.

What is your favourite guitar, effect/combo, and amp? You got real amps and pedals? I bought a multi effects once but I would'nt recommend it, they make it too confusing. Even 'vai just has a 5 pedal board and I think one is a tuner.

Chorus and digital delay are my favourite sounds to play. Obviously Hendrix Voodoo Chile, both the original and Slight Return are the best sounds I've heard. Favourite guitar, Squire strat Japan. They were quite good. I dunno why I never liked gibsons. I mean Page is amazing. But the Les Paul had no visceral effect on me at all even though loads of guitarists made it sound incredible. Never understood what the Telecaster was for :56: Was like a Strat with less pickups and no whammy bar * is that good for? Well Springsteen obviously, it was good for him. It's a country sounding guitar? I never learnt how to play country. I'd love to know 'I can't make you love me if you don't'. Might sound cheesy but it's the most beautiul country based song I've heard. although I read Prince was trying to make a country song when he composed Purple Rain. That;s genius for you. A guy called Rafferty plays a nice acoustic instrumental of the former song. Bon Iver performs it best I think although Bonnie Rait is probably more authentic.

I wonder if the digital age is producing more musicians with more knowledge> I think it is. So many lessons, for the disciplined the worlds their oyster, its almost a challenge to type in the name of a song along with 'guitar tutuorial' and have no return. People are incredibly generous at heart aren't they, I mean they don't get anything out of spending hours making those videos. I know a few make money but oooft must be a very few.

Did you get lessons or do you have a favourite teacher on YouTube?

Just noticed there's a guy posted a video 'Reasons not to buy an Avid Eleven Rack.' Almost tempted to open it and reply aye cause it's free ya tube. But he'll already have been trolled lol don't even have to look to know, the internet loves its controversy. Oh here's a good one, a guy contrasting the rack vs a pedal board. * * look at the DAW onscreen. How do you do it scuzzy how do you do it man!!??? :notworthy Can you tell the difference between a real amp and modelled one? I don't mean on a cd or something, that would be impossible, I mean in real life. Thats a brilliant phrase the digital revolution necessitated. It used to be ;you would never say that to his face ya shitebag' Now it's aye say it to him in real life. aye yer maw. Jesus this guy is taking ages to show us he's being geniune by showing us he's removed the production from the comparison track, we believe you get on with it. * that guitar sound it honking. * sakes I don't care which one is better, if the sound is * it's missing the point.

Distortion is a wild beast though, very difficult to tame I'm sure you'll agree. At first folk think it's great cause it hides mistakes but it's ironic cause it highlights them, you need to be so careful ccause it picks up every * string movement, like trying to slide up a power chord without a big screeching slide o_O

The Headrush and the Eleven Rack sound the same to him and to me. I don't have Eric Johnson ears, he can tell if you're using a duracell or Ever ready in your pedals. I *' love that urban legend cause I believed it the first time I heard it :celtman2:

Now there's a guy posted a video demonstrating 'first reaction to headrush' and he's talking quiet like nearly a whisper 'i gottta be careful I don't wanna wake the kids up.' Then he plugs the guitar into an amp :56: * is up wi' some people. Record the video when the kids are awake ya lunatic. It's a shame cause he's no' prepared and is just randomly strumming. Oh wait, he's saying 'oh yeah' and nodding so he thinks it's good, fair play tae ye ma man, don't let the * grind you down!

Headrush is a bit extreme a name for effects. As I said I cannot abide pedal boards even though they are extremely versatile. Anyway, too much effect spoils the broth. Can easilly drown in the amount of different options. I would be a * teacher what kind of metaphor or analogy is that? Oooooh he's getting a lovely Purple Rain sound * * it's identical! Oh it's one of the most perfect guitar pieces, Prince knew what the touch of a woman could do to a tune. His drummer was on a BBC documentary about drummers hosted by Stewart Copeland and she was brilliant. I did not realise that. There's a bass episode and another instrument * I can't mind. On BBC4, will be on catch up tv, must watch it. Lassie from Talking Heads hosts the bass one, I have no idea who she is. Psycho Killer only song I remember and a big giant suit which looked brilliant.

Some mental videos starting to appear now, 'the frying pan method for soloing explained.' :43: * is that, sounds like the banjo in that psycho hillbilly movie. I love this title 'how to master scales on the guitar, no memorisation, no visual approach.' Come on to *, even I know ye need to remember stuff if you want to repeat it, it's what the * word was invented for :36:

Ah the Chinese spy phones, like they sell millions of them and are going to spy on folk :56: You're right, the NSA are notorious and the CIA, mental how manipullative they could be. Kinda ironic seeing Americans freaking out about the idea of Russia manipulating their democracy when they just sent in massive boat loads of weapons and bombs and money and whatever it took to prevent socialism becoming a reasonable idea. And again irony, the American sports system is the most socialist thing on the planet. The * team gets first choice of player :57: They are sports crazy too buut hate socialism. I actually think they think Hitler was a socialist.

Talking of the NSA you seem to have a familiar knowledge of Kali, more than a Mr Robot fan would have :97:

You keep three hard drives on one machine? That doesn't sound safe, I hope you have a back up system.

I've got a thingy, you said Focus rite, one of those things but cause I don't play it's lying in a drawer. Connects the guitar to the computer? Also got a wee Zoom multi effects, like a tiny two button thing just for fun. You're making me feel the mood to fire it up again but my neighbours will track you down :ranting2::poster_sp:poster_oo

I tell you what I can play with delay cause it's easy, Cathedral by Van Halen. I love him, he's no intellectual but he's exciting, knows how to play fantasy guitar for kids. I mean you can't compare him to Knopfler and the like. He's a million times better than Slash. Spanish Fly is a moment of genius, never heard anyone copying that, how does he even know how to get a flamenco sound he's not skilled in that arrt at all. I think his big advantage was his dad was a jazz musician but more importantly his brother played drums and they would jam non stop. Gaining that sense of ryhmn is what gave him that extra edge I'm convinced. The Edge, there's a guy who know how to use a delay pedal :notworthy He's quite a master of effects all round which shows you creativity can still be achieved without great guitar technique, just need great effect technique. * it, bllew my whole argument there :*: 'Bad' is one of my all time favourite tunes. But what he did on the Joshua Tree was mind blowing, Bullet the blue sky, * * that is seriously brilliant use of effects.

I should probably go and come back when I've got something intereesting to say haha the football really took a lot out of me too, hate it when we don't win it's soul destroying.

Ok I know there's starving children in Africa but life isn't relativistic else it'd be a * utopia and the huns woud be deed! Just kidding any hun guitarists passing by. (am I *)

I must check out the free DAWs for Ubuntu, see if I can have another wee stab at it, oh * that reminds me of the neighbours again. Headphones will do the trick, I sing really loud with them on, can't hear the polis at the door WHAT, WE TURNED DOWN TONY WATT? Turn that down you *' twatt! Ooooooh. Get tae * ya *.

And that folks is how punk started :ranting2: :triplomur :party048: :redcard: :party22: :rofl: :bash: :banned: :asshole2:

Hope yer having a cool weekend scuzzy although you probably never made it this far down the wall of text. Have you heard of the Wall of Death? I've never but Bring me the Horizon are an excellent Yorkshire band and they played the Royal Albert Hall, song is Happy Song and he starts shouting 'rigght we're going to create the largest wall of death the royal albert hall has seen. move it back, further move it * back, make us proud!!!!' then they hit the 'metal' gas pedal and the crowd goes bonkers all running into each other :56: Would knock * out of punks those Yorkshire lads, as they say ye'll never meet an unconfident Yorkshire man.

Play that funky music wide Bhoy :36:

scuzzy likes this.
  18. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    HEHE Yeah it is a nice piece of kit I agree I can plug my guitars or bass into it and it does what i need for the most part.
    When i got the Eleven Rack it was advertised as Free hardware with this software (Pro Tools) or Eleven Rack with Free Pro Tools software, it's just a play on words really. Coz back then you could just buy the Pro Tools software only if you wanted to without the Eleven Rack. Don't quote me on the price I have a feeling it was maybe somewhere in the region of £100 - £200 something like that. It was a Stand Alone version and you could also get Pro Tools HD which meant you did have dedicated hardware units too. But that was in the next millionaire please territory. These days as of 2019 they have changed the way you use or rather get the software, you either get one called Pro Tools First which only allows you to record 16 tracks max, it's ok I guess but rather limiting, as I like to put my drum sounds on individual tracks you could use up to maybe 8 tracks or more just for the drums alone. The vesrion i have can use unlimited tracks just dependant on how much memory
    you have (another reason i have the 32gig ram). The other version is now a "Rental" lol yup you read that right you can get a licence that you basically pay it as you use it just like renting a car. In other words a way to make sure you continually pay to use their software...greedy, greedy *, you see some Microshaft products do this now too like Orifice 365 etc. It's all greed man but if your savvy enough there's ways round it all.
    LOL yeah i know exactly the vid your talking about the guys "Reasons not to buy an Eleven Rack" one, it's quite funny you should take a peek at it. Basically he's * at it because his computer either blew up or he upgraded it and now the dongle for Pro Tools (iLok) doesn't recognise his system with the new upgrades so it thinks it's a dodgy copy of the software and is refusing to play. I recently turned on my music system which I hadn't been using for a few months and it bitched at me coz there was a new updated version of the dongle drivers out and it didn't wanna start till i upgraded it, no worries just went to the dongle site DL'd the new update, installed it and it started without a hitch. I have the feeling he maybe wasn't too computer literate, but fair play to him not everyone is, maybe i'm just a geek ! :52:
    I studied computer programming for years at College and Uni and have been building, repairing and upgrading computers since the late 90's so i don't have any problems on the puter front.

The way i look at recording these days is actually pretty much like I always did back in the analogue 4 track days (I'm thinking Tascam 4 track remember the old cassette tapes LOL) just doing that with the modern day software DAW, lay down one track move on to the next but the great advantage of the modern software is the exceptional editing abilities. Do 4 bars * up or worse * up at the 2nd last chord and have to start all over again totally frustrating, well all that has gone, * with the capabilites now all you have to do is play one bar and copy/paste up X amount of times for verses, same with choruses mid 8's etc, you may only play 5 chords through the whole thing and just cut and copy paste different sections to make up a whole song perfect error free. If your doing solo's do say 5 of them pick and choose the best bits from each different take and then stick them all together on one track, perfect solo.
    As to the "do you really use all those knobs these days now" LOL well you can if you want to but you don't have to, these days you can do whatever the * floats your boat really, the only limitation is your imagination. I still have some 19" rack units but hardly ever use them, we call that "External hardware" or "Outboard" gear. I have used and still use real amps for some recordings and plug-ins for others just what i fancy at the time check out the excellent "Positive Grid Bias FX and Bias Amp" plug-ins a slew of amps and effects you can use straight off or tweak your own to your hearts content. Have a wee deck on youtube for vids on those you might be quite surprised, the only issue you might have is trying to get a demo vid that's not all guys playing hard core metal which can be a * noise (* I am turning into my dad...:88:)
    Excellent capabilities with some of the plug-ins now.

My favourite guitar hmmm that's a tough one but it's probably my B C Rich Warlock from the 90's it's my go to guitar fabulous action and 24 frets of screechy goodness, but most of my electrics are all 24 fret super strats, I learned to play on an old strat copy and i find more comfort playing the close bridge types, Gibson LP shapes and SG's fee a little strange for me coz i'm so used to the close to the wood bridges like all strat type geetars.
    Most Japan made guitars are exceptional pieces of kit, the really good Ibanez's are * made like my Joe Satriani JS1200, a lot of the * ones are even classed as "Lawsuit" guitars yes you've guessed it the Yanks greetin again coz someone makes a better product than they do for 1/10th of the price I'm talking Burney guitars thier LP copies are even better than the LP custom shop ones but as rare as hens teeth. Tele's yeah they were made for country and do it very well actually the strat was made for country too believe it or not, but someone stuck long hair on them and the rock industry was born LOL.
    Amps well yeah i use real ones too both Marshalls you can see some of my gear on the Pub thread here https://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/the-guitar-amp-gear-thread.149344/ have a peek about 2 or 3 pages in you'll see some pix. I'm hoping to pick up the new Marshall mini Jubilee 2525H in a few weeks check it out here
    I'm not entirely sure if the advent of the internet is producing better musicians with more knowledge it prolly has to i reckon I mean * I wish some of the tutorial video's you get these days were around when i started playing. ohh yeah I was so into it I practiced 8 hours a day for 3 years solid, an i even took that strat i had into the loo when i went for a dump and stuck the headstock curve on the sink coz we had gyippy walls and it would echo all round the bog like slightly amplified, .. the things we do lol. :asshole2:
    I'm self taught, I never took music at school but i did get to a point i wanted to know some theory to expand my ideas, I specifically wanted to understand Harmony and Melody and the Modes, how they worked and what they were used for.

Now as to telling the difference between a modelled sound and a real amp sound it's all relative really I mean the way i see it is does it sound like a song, does it sound good to my ears listening to it am i tapping my feet along to it ! if it can do that then to me it's telling me i like it and don't really give a * if it's real or not, these days they are so close it's hard to tell the difference, and getting closer all the time (again a nod to Bias FX/Bias Amp).

HAHA frying pan method * never heard of it here's a method does it sound good or sound like some coont drapped the guitar doon the stairs still plugged in, let your ears decide that's the only method I'm interested in :85:
    Youtube video's or " one born every minute" as i like to call em. Some are just so out there they gotta be wired to the moon ya know.

Kali yeah it's a great OS it's a pretty much up to date Debian with 'ahem' interesting software let's just say :50:

Gotta say tho I'm curious why you don't play anymore especially as you say you've already got an audio interface in a drawer all waiting to go, it should have a headphones out too for silent running also did that interface come with some kind of DAW software if so your all set. A Drum plugin and a guitar plugin for all your sounds amps effects distortions etc, like Bias or Guitar rig etc and most DAW's have some kind of built in keyboard sounds, piano's, keyboards, strings etc.

Linux does have a free DAW i recall just can't remember what it's called now also most plugins are built for mac and pc specifically .au and aax, and vst/vsti for PC if you possibly can i'd recommend going down the PC route tho for ahem availability :50:

Update: seems there's quite a few now have a look at this list https://www.slant.co/topics/6067/~daws-for-linux

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  19. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I never knew there was a Welsh man on the Space Station. He is eloquent but I am sure if there was a major problem they wouldn't be so successful. I understand his grief, if it's true you can only use it on one machine that's *, surely band members would find it easier to collaborate on songs and add new ideas if at least 3/4 of them had it. I know it's extremely sophisticated and a very high level skill to program such software but I find if companies are fair folk will pay for it and forget Bit torrent.

I did try to download a film yesterday for the first time in years, only cause Virgin Store want fecking £14 for a month's rental. I've totally forgotten that dark art though, no peers or mbs after half an hour so I'll wait till it's free.

Are there many software that allow multi use? Now in 2019 surely they have to cause everyone in the house has their own computer these days. Mind it used to be a big CRT in the office that there was a queue for. And printers that chewed paper and made you look like a car mechanic.

I do remember a friend of the family had a Tascam 4 track, his band used it to record. The bass player had a degree in physics or something and wow he could get it sounding amazing. Think he became a producer. I tried it for a night and couldn't figure it out, I mean I knew how it worked, just don't know how he made it sound like a record.

So aye I imagine it must be amazing being able to cover up mistakes easily but also jot down ideas very quickly too without having to worry about tape space.

Did you ever see a computer game loading on a small tape deck? Sounded like ET phoning home and took about 20 minutes depending on how many lines of code.

Dunno why I never got into gaming, it looks like an incredible experience especially these days. When AI and VR come together I shall become part of the Matrix I'm sure.

Sounds like you're an early adopter to you will have seen all that stuff. Must be so enjoyable having got that far up the learning curve, enough so it feels natural. Also you must have a good mind for imagining multiple tracks. Classical composers have to learn that. I'm dying to hear your eight track drum section now wow stand aside Bonham! How many bass pedals you using? Heavy metal merchants use two don't they?

That lassie from Talking Head presented the Bass episode of the three part BBC4 documentary on the history of Drums, Bass & Guitar. It was quite interesting. Not seen the guitar one yet. The Beatles were lauded in both drum and bass. I liked that because Ringo gets some abuse for not being as talented as the other three but they explained he might not have been Bonham but he developed a unique sound which played a very big part in the success of the Beatles sound. You should check it out on iPlayer.

My favourite music joke is still John Lennon's reply to the question "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?" "Ringo Starr isn't the best drummer in the Beatles."

The guy reviewing the Positive Grid Bias FX and Bias Amp is happy chappy, unlike the Welsh guy who I thought was going to cut his wrists. Oh wait I spoke too soon, he's trying to demonstrate how good it is by getting the sound of Slash a guitar player who makes me want to slash myself or him. I've never met him but it's the worst personality clash I've had. I just don't get him and I love guitarists.

You ever researched how Jeff Beck gets his sound? I know it's mainly his use of finger instead of plectrum but he must use some interesting effects to sound that sweet. Must look into it myself.

Oh sorry man I'm not getting this modelling amp he's reviewing, now he's trying to find Jimi's sound and it's waaaay off. I thought that would've been pre programmed by experts too.

To be fair he's criticising the * ones but overall he loves it.

USA Metal is a strange way to describe a distortion. That only makes sense if there are metal sounds from other countries. AC/DC hardly Ozzie metal or Mogwai Scottish metal. Horslips and Thin Lizzy will always be Irish metal to me. Rammstein definitely German.

I can understand why your true love is Marshall, the digital revolution is fantastic but classics are timeless. I've never heard software that sounds like a Hendrix recording. Love that Marshall head, see even that guy just casually playing a little AC/DC sounds so authentic. Marshall stacks and the Fender Twin must be the most famous and enduring amps in rock and roll but nothing has contributed more to the genre and dreams of a billion budding Buddy Guys than the well structured toilet with it's natural reverb making the wood become one with body and soul and toilet roll.

You ever strummed a 12 string acoustic in a London Underground walkway when it's quiet? The round ceiling and solid tiles, it's orchestral, really beautiful sound in such an industrial and unforgiving uncomfortable environment.

Oh no I don't go in the Pub thread, I do not need encouraging. Been in the Huddle too much as it is. I'm a one scale strummer, the bevvy makes me even more repetitive! Well, when you're busking folk don't know you're playing the same song unless they get on the wrong tube and lift their money back out yer hat. Mind you, drunk people are a buskers best friend, even if they've no change they love to party hehe Go Johnny Go! Only guys though, lassies want a good singer, a good looking wan tae. No even wi' a drink in them did I get fivers shoved doon my pockets, no even guys wi' a drink in them :39:

You learnt modes and harmony? Fantastic. I've always wanted to understand modes but just never quite grasped it. Must be cool cause it basically is Latin for moods isn't it? I get stuck in the major scale, it's great but it ends up feeling like I'm just standing smiling at everything, we're more complex than that.

You must've been very good at your peak if you also practised and played so regularly. Amazing how addictive it is. And I was never good so you must've had some moments of pure ecstasy :party048:

Oh so you disagree about the real amp vs modelled? Hmmmmm why you buying a real one then? No trying to be cheeky.

Haha dropping the guitar down the stairs plugged in, that might actually be how punk started. Especially if it was Clint Eastwood's guitar. "Do you feel lucky punk?" You're a cop called Dirty Harry, you're pointing a Magnum 45 between my eyes and I've just broke your Les Paul Classic and my name's Johnny Rotten. I am the Anti Christ and I am an Anarchist. How unlucky are you, meeting the only * who doesn't give a *. Lol, just seen your avatar :56:

See, punk took it too far, no wonder it lasted 2 years, spitting on yer audience in the Glasgow Apollo is what they call reading the room wrong o_O

Thanks for the list of DAWs for Linux. I like the range from basic to pro as well, have to give it a go. They even have a Top Con warning. That's what they get for refusing advertising. Roland Quad Capture I've got, can't mind if it came with software, probably something to get started. Same company makes Boss isn't it so it's probably good.

Oooohh guess what I used to own you would love, an MXR Phase 90! Bought it for £20 in London. Didn't know it was a classic and sold it to a guitar shop with a guitar for £30. Idiot! Ah well, best someone who actually appreciates it plays it.

Oh * now he's trying to play Eruption my * what is wrong with YouTube :giggle1: Why can't he just do The Edge or J Mascis Freak Scene? I love that sound.

I think this comment sums it up This video has drugs and rock and roll! No * though. Good bit of kit but he's not researched the review properly. Someone made a comment "He's actually very good, like the modern Vai." *, Vai is old now? I'll be long dead before Vai is considered an Allmman brother. Great guitarists but not from outer space like Zappa.

You like how I'm criticising people talking * on the internet? :52:

Did you buy it? Oh yeah you said you've got loads of hardware and software, nice. I heard a Mesa Boogie clean sound once, lovely.

I think I'm going to have a wee go at lowering the action on my Ibanez. It's just a mid range model. Decent pick ups and the action is comfortable enough, I'd love to get it as low as the Japanese Squier, that was like silk.

Ah so you're familiar with the renowned Japanese attention to detail, incredible story isn't it. There were a few factories using different names producing cheap copies but so well made. The Fujigen factory is legendary. Fender ended up surrendering and outsourcing their top of the range as well as Squier. Poor Gibson, in their lawsuit all the judge awarded them was a decision preventing Greco from using a similar font and headstock heh can't believe they were allowed to keep the original design.

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ibanez-model-2350.jpg

Didn't realise it all began with the small Spanish company Ibanez.

Harry Rosenbloom, owner of Medley Music in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, made his living selling handmade instruments. Sensing the domestic guitar market’s downturn, however, Rosenbloom’s company, Elger Guitars, became the sole North American distributor for Japanese guitar manufacturers, Hoshino Gakki Gen.

Hoshino began importing classical guitars from a small, Spanish guitar maker named Salvador Ibáñez in the ’20s to sell in Japan, and went onto launch their own brand under the name Ibanez, inspired by the imported guitars in 1935. Rosenbloom, sensitive to the domestic hostility towards Japanese products still prevalent in the late ’60s, used this as the brand name for his imported guitars. In 1971, Hoshino became profitable enough to purchase Elger Guitars from Rosenbloom and officially changed their name to Ibanez, USA.

Ibanez achieved US success when it began manufacturing copies of classic Fender, Gibson, and Rickenbacker guitars in the late ’60s. While Gibson and Fender guitars declined in quality, Japanese copies were, at least visually, markedly on par with the American originals.

Imagine the looks on the CEOs of Gibson and Fender when these were first shipped.

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/discover/truth-lawsuit-era-guitars/

They're well over priced on eBay now though, collectors items.

Aye Japanese made stuff is still incredible, I think Mexico is catching up? They'll never catch up with Ibanez or Yamaha without charging the same price, those are serious instruments. Even the relatively cheap Yamaha C40 beginners classical is still the recommended first guitar after about 40 years or so. How much stuff does Yamaha make jeez oh and it's all good.

I've never played a Rickenbacker.

Know what's mental, after not playing for years you got me in the mood so I had a wee strum and scale practise. My finger tips aaarrrrggghhh!!!!! Man I forgot why my first guitar was a nylon string. Steel strings are so nippy. Used to be like leather too, like a Brasilian's soles. It's amazing how quick the feet develop thick protection if you're walking on the earth, like living at the beach. That's how guys can walk across hot coals. Guitarists can extinguish cigarettes. I know whose face I'd like to stubb his cigarette out on. Not that it's something cool to do.

There's a guy gushing over a $100 Chinese Strat. He says he could never find a good cheap guitar when he was a kid. He's about 30 and there's always been decent cheapos, the Japanese era was an exception. Usually a decent set up does the job for beginners who are trying to find which instrument they prefer. I hate folk who buy a Les Paul straight away grrrrr ok it's jealousy cause just playing a D chord sounds much better than a beginner should. Least better than my £30 classical D chord haha they are not made for strumming unless you've been practising Flamenco for 20 years. You ever heard Paco Pena? Very good, same as De Lucia kinda. Did you know classical guitar was Paganini's favourite instrument? He only performed with violin cause of the volume, he could earn a living selling out 1/2000 seat venues but he composed some beautiful pieces for guitar.

Ooops sorry, I just copy and pasted B C Rich Warlock and the second video is a guy saying it's a piece of * from 1981 haha. Seriously though, he says they're amazing, just the one he got from eBay is a wreck he's going to pimp. Mind Jacksons, they were stylish. Thought they were too popular to go bust.

It's a pure classic 80s metal guitar style isn't it. He's saying Black Sabbath, I'm thinking Kiss. Iommi was some player wasn't he. Rhoads dotted Les Paul was nice. Les Pauls are beautiful, the £4,000 ones are works of art. Still though I'd rather a £400 Strat. I think I already said I'd love to try Vai's Ibanez, the neck looks so comfortable.

Jeez oh this guy is really going to town on this Warlock, if I was a luthier I'd be on eBay all day, could make a fortune, some of the scrap sold on there for peanuts could be amazing if you had these skills. Sanding it down too? Dunno how much time I'd want to spend if I could buy one already in good nick. Still though, it's a labour of love isn't it. Feels like heresy cutting through mother of pearl though.

This is more like it, lovely looking, very discrete and he's veryy good. what a sound, amazing the difference in quality of sound between a cheap and well contructed expensive guitar. Haha it's one way of getting past the ad blockers! It's not even in the shop though duh. I love how it's got an edgy look but also looks comfortable on the lap, clever design.

Jimmy Moon, only Scottish luthier I've heard of. Never played one though.

Have you ever got a compliment for a song you've played testing a guitar? I love how the sign changed from "No Stairway To Heaven" to "No Stairway To Heaven, Sweet Child 'o Mine or Smells Like Teen Spirit." Must've been a nightmare for the folk who worked there, every 12 year old kid thinks they're playing it perfectly but worse still they bring half their class with them. Although it's a worse riddy when the guy is 40 and hitting * notes but still firing through till the end. He's no' giving a * what the guitar sounds like and has no intention of buying it. Least the kids might end up Biffy Clyro good customers. It's even funnier playing pish in the hush hush austere classical section, that's when you get proper daggers from the guy at the counter.

Had to stick this in for a laugh, think it's just you and me here anyway so not cloggin up the thread. I'd end up in hospital if I did that. "What kind of wood is that?" Oh yes I've always wanted to turn an amp in a shop up full blast but Glasgow's too small a town. Oh look a Jackson! All those pedals ahaha pure Spinal Tap. Oh yeah, is that why the Rack is called Eleven, after the volume control on his amp?

Haha he takes the guitar back after one day, "Yeah man we had a gig last night it was great but I don't need it now."

"I played with Clapton and Hendrix with my mate Jimmy Page." ffs he's about 20.

Here's a guy who was conceived at Wookstock, must've took some amount of mushrooms before he thought that was a good idea. At least his sound will be unique. Fair warning is all we ask of the post moderns.

Says me who found this at the end of a rainbow. They even call it Zoom, for rockets. Oh he would have to make it sound alright too wouldn't he haha *!!! Oh wait I've not got that, there's a big pedal on the side of that. Mine is just the leprechaun version. Name dropping Steve Vai ha!!!

* sake mine isn't on there. How pish must something be not to make YouTube, no wonder I gave it up, thought it was all me sounding *. Probably only 90%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_XFLva4aYA

I've got Di Marzio's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F64Ype8VK0

The amount of guitars in Guitar Guitar is mental. I'm sure they'd kick * out of anyone trying every one though, it's too near the east end to act wide. Like if you're not serious about buying a guitar they'll know within' 5 minutes cause they stock every one.

Apart from your own inventions what's your favourite song/s to trip out to? Rush?

Mine used to be Little Wing cause it's his most accessible even though impossible to quite find that magic groove he was naturally born with.

Oh mate you shouldn't write long replies to me, I'll go on forever trying to respond especially once I start clicking YouTube's right hand preview panes, this is why I needed more RAM!

I don't get the difference between analogue and digital delay, surely digital can mimick analogue? Guess it's like some folk love vinyl.

Catch you later scuzzy Osborne! UCL tomorrow evening. *, you're going to have to wait for Fair Fortnight to read this, long even for me. I do like talking about guitars though, you know the score, once ye get the buzz :dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmiAEXbC6bA

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    scuzzy likes this.
  20. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    LOL yup I remember all the old stuff in fact I still have 2 of those old tape deck like computers they were ZX Spectrums and ZX Spectrum 2+ the cassette would load the old games like Manic Miner and Jet Set * etc with all the mad lines going up the sides (Max Headroom esque....dunno if you even remember Max Headroom TV show lol).

When I was talking about an 8 track drum section I was meaning that each drum gets it's own seperate track i.e 1 track for Kick, 1 track snare top, 1 track for snare bottom, 1 track for rack and floor toms, and an overhead left and right for the cymbals. That kind of idea, this way you can add reverb, delay, compression, different eq etc to each kit piece, they all get seperate treatment. But to listen to it just sounds like a normal drum track.
    Yeah some drummers use double pedals on just one or both kick drums for hard core metal so that's like 4 beaters lol.

With regards to that USA Distortion I think he must be referring to the tonality of it, it's said that you get a British or American type tone, eg British = Marshall like tone, USA more like Mesa dual rectifier tone, Marshall generally use EL34 valves where Mesa usually use 6L6 valves which make em sound different.

I don't disagree with the modelling vs real amp tone it's just in some cases one might fit a song better than the other plus if you've only got one type of amp, the modellers give you access to the others like fender or orange, messa boogie or soldano's etc so i think they are great for that side of it.

Your own interface the Roland Quad capture is perfect for you BTW and it comes with Sonar X1 LE which is a good DAW I don't know what the restrictions are with the LE (Light Edition) you'd have to look that up maybe only does 16 tracks i dunno.
    I used Sonar X1 for many years, it's a good DAW. The only problem tho is that your hardware (your Roland Quad capture) only comes with drivers for a Mac or PC NO Linux drivers also Sonar X1 LE is only Mac or PC as well.
    So your fekked for linux drivers sorry bro.

MXR phase 90 original - don't sweat it I had the exact same one and gave it to a mate like a right * ahh well retrospect is a wonderful thing NOT.

Ahh the BC Rich Bronze series were infamously bad guitars almost every review of those they seem to get hammered, never played one myself here's mine BC Rick NJ Neck-thru series Warlock with the Widow headstock.

BC-Rich-Warlock.jpg

a lil hard to see properly coz of the angle there.

--------------------------------------------------

My Jackson Dinky DK2S with sustainiac Pickup
    Jackson-DK2S.jpg

I got Jimmy Moon to do a bit of work on one of my guitars many years ago but I use Jimmy Egypt ohh for years now.

Don't think I ever got a compliment trying one out in a shop but i do recall some guy coming up to me once asking what's that your playing I said it's a Modal chord progression of a song idea I have..Ohh ok he said and wandered away, so fekk knows what that meant lol.

Is that the guitar you've got the Ibanez S470 like in that vid ?

Fave songs sheesh there's shed loads: I do like Y & T Winds of Change, Dio don't talk to strangers, that's my kinda era apart from Satriani and Vai, joe's Crushing Day is a particular favourite. :34:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019