1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Markybhoy, May 16, 2014.

Discuss The Tennis Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No way, his single handed backhand is one of the most beautiful strokes in the game, he's passed more players than Messi with that shot, the whip he gets on it. Not saying it's his best shot but saying it's a weakness it's like saying Messi isn't great in the air when in fact he is an incredible header of the ball, just getting it to his height is a problem.

I think Messi might be overtaking Hendrix as my GOAT reference. Probably cause deep down I know Jimi would beat Roger with his strat, he'd make up a new song using the ball hitting the strings, his last album was Cry of Love, that would be Federer greetin at another pointless game

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  2. Markybhoy

It would certainly be one * of a contest. Their head to head record suggests it would be a close match, whoever won.

3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I reckon it won't be long till AI gives us an idea of what different players from different eras would be like. Just need to figure out the most common data and that would be easy with current players, just scan them while playing.

You know what I think would be interesting and totally non biased. I love Andy obviously but I've said I think Federer is the best I've seen. See if they could use AI to change racquets to the days of Bjorg and McEnroe, I reckon Roger would really stand out there because he relies less on power than the other players. Rafa would break a 70s racquet, his topspin would fall by 90% :56:

Nole's baseline game would be shattered too. Andy would actually do well cause he's had to learn and adapt so much to keep up with the top three. So non biased. Don't actually even need AI now I've come to think of it :RedFinger

4. Markybhoy

I don't think playing with old racquets would destroy Novak's game at all. Jimmy Connors played a similar style of tennis to Djokovic(not as well as Djokovic obviously) and Connors was one of the best players of his era and one of the best players ever.

Federer, as you say, would also be able to play with any racquet in any era.

Nadal is the one who's game would be hurt most by using an old racquet. There is just no way he would be able to generate the enormous levels of spin on his shots that he relies on for much of his success.

I'm not sure AI will ever definitively be able to tell us how a player from a bygone era would have fared against Federer or Djokovic but it makes for some fun debate.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Who wins if Dundee United play Barcelona?

6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If it goes to penalties, Barca.

News from 31st May:

Rodger still showing the youngsters how it's done at 37. Him and Nadal reaching the 4th Round of the French Open means the pair move ahead of American former world number one Budgie Patty for most fourth-round appearances in Paris.

Rodger is the first person to play 400 Grand Slam matches, that is totally insane. He appears to have the perfect physique for longevity in sport as it helps him float about the court with the least impact on his muscles and bones.

News from today:

Rodger has beat Argentinian Mayer in straight sets to reach the last eight and Nadal has just arrived on court where he will face Argentinian Londero.

Nole plays Germany's Struff in the last 16, I can't see a schedule for it.

Serena got knocked out at the last 32 stage yesterday by compatriot Kenin.

Isn't Serena really close to breaking a long time record herself?

Halep comfortably beat Ukrainian Tsurenko to reach the last 16. I hope she wins it.

Stan is currently in a fierce battle with Tsitsipas who appears to be freaking out, shouting about a 'freaking Zombie' and earlier he exclaimed 'that was *!' Almost sounds like he's got PTSD from watching a game in Govan once.

@Markybhoy I think you are right about Nole being able to handle his game using an old raquet and Federer being able to handle any raquet in any era because he's the best :60:

Aye Rafa would need a new wooden raquet for every game the mad man.

It's quite amazing how long the top three have been there, feels like forever. Andy has stayed in the top four for most of that time too I think. How is he, any sign of him recovering from his injury?

7. Markybhoy

Feel a bit of a Judas hoping for big Delpo to lose here but 7/4 on Khachanov was just too good a price to turn down.

8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Why a Judas for betting against Del Potro? He doesn't seem to have the emotional ties the top players have. He's very likeable but does anyone feel totally gutted when he loses?

Only if you bet against Andy or Federer are you betraying the Creator.

Big Del Boy on the way back, would be something else if he did, needs this first game. Oh dear, didn't think he was a bottler. He's not! Nice.

9. Markybhoy

Apart from Novak, big Delpo is probably my favourite player. So I don't really like betting against him. 7/4 was far too generous odds on Khachanov for this match though.

10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I hope you win but it's quite a gamble cause of 5 sets, Del Potro has experienced the stamina needed. Now you've got me feeling indecisive, I like him but I also don't want you to lose your bet.

Looks like you're going to win, Khachanov is looking unperturbed.

11. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You must be loving this now, either way you're a winner. 5 sets are brilliant, keep saying it but it's true, women should have to play the same cause 3 doesn't have sporting drama.

12. Markybhoy

Hard to see Delpo winning another two sets, he looks gassed. Anything's possible when I have money on the other player though. :giggle1:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You definitely know how to predict the future in tennis. This guy is wielding the raquet like Tchaikovsky holds a violin.

14. Markybhoy

Looking like.......

Nadal v Federer
    Djokovic v Thiem

.......in the semi-finals. That should have the media drooling for the next couple of days. Though I personally think Wawrinka would have given Nadal more of a run for his money than Federer will.

15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Nadal winds me up so much when he's playing the Master :55:

Stan is some player and maybe doesn't have the mental block Federer obviously has when facing Nadal so he might've given him a better game. Nadal is unsurpassed on this court though so it's hard to tell.

16. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Too easy Rafa!

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just too good, incredible shots played today by both but Rafa is the Master on this surface no doubt.

Nole probably has a bigger chance against him?

I'd love to know how many sets Rafa has dropped in his career in the French Open, can't be a lot.

Unlucky Rodger, looking forward to Wimbledon, well done Nadal you clay court Casanova.

18. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Federer - 20
    Nadal - 17
    Djoker - 15

Not sure who has the better chance of catching him? So long as Thiem doesn't win, I'm happy! I think if he stays injury free, Nole will rightly be the games best ever player when all retired!

19. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Statistics might end up saying Federer isn't the GOAT but Ronaldo might end up with better stats than Messi but that'll never change my mind.

Nole is getting asked big questions here but I'm sure he's come back from 2 sets down quite a lot? Nole definitely a lot like Nadal when it comes to never giving up a match.

Also agree Nole must be the best returner the game has seen, it's mindblowing the shots he can cover.

20. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Hitler takes the first set against Djokovic 6-2, game now stopped because of the terrible conditions.