1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Feb 1, 2019.

Discuss Next Season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Feels like we've been saying it for long enough, but the next window is a big one for us.

Two centre backs needed, at least one of them going straight into our first choice XI. New right back needed as well - hopefully Toljan is signed permanently if he impresses.

Keano88 likes this.
  2. saltire78

Guys,
    What do you actually want from the club though (genuine question). Top quality, permanent signings are EXTORTIONATE these days. At about 5m signing on (pretty cheap for quality), and 30k for 4 years (6m in wages) we're going to rocket through our money if it goes wrong.

I mean, as I said in another thread, we play about 62 games a year (in about 9 months), plus all our international contributions. If the club said they'd buy a SINGLE quality player every window on a permanent deal, but only the one, because that was all we could sustainably afford, would you prefer that? 2 players per year? With all the hammer-throwers we'd play them against every week, with the wonderous protection we could expect from the 'Brothers in Black'. We'd be threadbare by Christmas, and everyone would be howling about needing signings.

On top of that, we're trapped with commper type * who we can't get rid off, filling squad spots and leaching wages. *, how i wish there was a way to clear out Deadwood without it taking years, or massive payments to * who don't deserve it.

I genuinely don't know how to break the cycle we're in now, or if we can. The football world has gone bat-*, and we seem to be trapped in a car crash.

I thought our window wasn't too bad. 7 signings to strengthen, even if 3 are loans and 2 are development players. If it turns out we might get another 6/12months on Weah, and Toljan has an option to buy then even better. I'd love more, especially a MUCH NEED CB, which continues to baffle me. But I see realities, and very grudgingly understand them. To a point...

Taz likes this.
  3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

This has been and will be said until the end of my time as a Celtic fan.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's done we move on..

StPauli1916 likes this.
  5. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Hey you. Cut that talking sense * out. If your trying to start a new positive trend then your in the wrong place mate.

Kidding aside. Quite a good way to look at things I suppose.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Other clubs with comparative incomes to ourselves can and do find quality, permanent signings...so why are we any different?

The RB Salzburg starting XI that ran over us in the away leg cost £500k more than the reported amount we paid for Edouard.

They rarely pay as much as £5 million for a player and yet made a Europa League semi-final last season and won every single game in our EL group there.

I was over in Salzburg for our away leg. They are a *, tinpot plastic club. Around 9,000 fans on average in attendance. Celtic's potential is far and away beyond them. We are huge. Domestically and globally.

This defeatist attitude that has been formed because of Lawwell's placemen pumping out propaganda is insane. We are not struggling to finance the club. We had 10s of millions of £s in the bank in the summer yet failed to utilise it to overcome a very average AEK Athens team that then went on to gain 0 points in the UCL group stage.

No reasonable Celtic fan is expecting us to compete with Europe's elite and be bringing in £5 miliion players in every position we have but there is a balance in between that and our current strategy which is overly-reliant on loan players.

The whole club needs a thorough appraisal from bottom to top. If we're trying to maximise value out of every £ spent then nothing should be beyond critique. The reason that won't happen is that the decision lies with the main beneficiary of the current system. The status quo suits him fine.

7. mickmcl1888

Exactly this :60:

freitassen and Seán Mac D like this.
  8. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    and the worst in europe in every CL and europa group stage weve competed in for the past 5 years

freitassen and Peej like this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That's not true . :56:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  10. horseshoe

Loans are great business if they're for players that would normally break our wage structure
    That's something a lot of our fans seem to gloss over, wages, they just look at the transfer fee 'headline' and don't think about the rest of the story, saying we can afford to pay £5-6m for a player look at the money we have in the bank. Our wage bill is already massive, and that's with us working under an apparently quite strict structure.

I'll be willing to bet when we talk about being priced out of getting a quality player wages are the bigger stumbling block than the one-off transfer cost, why would a player come here for £25-30k a week when a mid level championship team offers them £40k, and it's probably going to get worse, players in that range of transfer fee are commanding bigger wages all the time, far more than they're actually worth in a lot of cases.

tomlamb likes this.
  11. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Think I read it on here regarding Craig Gordons record.

We had conceded more goals than ANY other side in the ALL groups stages for 3 years or something, europa for 2.

not sure though

Im not a "stat guy"

But it cant be argued that we are anything other than a shambles defensively in Europe

freitassen likes this.
  12. saltire78

Agree with most of what you say here, about better utilisation, spin from the board and accountability.

But on the Salzburg front... They have a squad that includes 5 players they paid £63m for... Not exactly penny pinching! They have 10 players they bought for over 3.5m. No idea how that's financed - league, TV rights, European money, dodgy *. It's definitely what we want to do here. Its something we should aspire to. * only knows how to do it though... If it was so simple wed all be doing it

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This is a bigger one, Lustig, Izzy, Benkovic, Boyata, Weah, Burke, Toljan will all be away end of the season. The next one is a rebuild.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That list isn’t concrete and there have been periods within the 6 months between Windows folk have said the same under every Manager since O’Neill.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Well the summer window should be a blast. :lol:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. Jeremie Frimpong

Ajer signed for Celtic, under Deila, on the 17th of February, 2016. He is the last defender whom we signed on a permanent contract who has played regularly over the course of a season.

Under Rodgers, we have failed to find a single one over a period of three seasons and six transfer windows.

We need to recruit at least three in the summer, or else continue to push our problems further down the line with short-term fixes.

(The last time we used the transfer market to recruit a high-quality fullback was the 1st of January, 2012.)

freitassen and The IRA like this.
  17. Jeremie Frimpong

:giggle1:

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

How much are you willing to bet with me that all those players don’t leave next Summer smart *?

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yep.

Every window is big, but what I was meaning is that it's felt like we've had a rebuilding job on our hands for the past few windows...and we keep failing to properly address it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

They've financed it because their own transfer process is streamlined. They have taken in £87 million in transfer fees in the last 12 months alone. That goes back in to funding wages for those incoming.

In previous years they've sold the likes of Naby Keita for £28 million to Leipzig and Sadio Mane to Southampton for £22 million.

Part of the propaganda we're fed is that we're not in an attractive/competitive league so therefore can't compete for young, upcoming players. The Austrian league is no more attractive than ours. Particularly given we are on the doorstep of the EPL which is the holy grail for many of these young players. We can point to the likes of Van Dijk and Wanyama as examples of what's possible.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    The IRA and saltire78 like this.