1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bain and Bitton

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by NorwichCelt, Dec 31, 2018.

Discuss Bain and Bitton in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NorwichCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Rogic All time - Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    genuinely think the biggest problem we have at the moment is we want to pass out from the back into midfield but have players who are simply not capable, as well as brown and Ntcham who slow it down to much and play backwards rather than on the half turn.

I Know he’s not everyone’s favourite but I think a partnership of bitton and Benkovic could be very good , bitton unlike boyata is a superb passer and technically one of the best in our squad. Our defensive problems are usually self inflicted and yet we still don’t concede many goals , bitton would Mean teams cannot press us as high as he is so comfortable on the ball compared to boyata, therefore allowing us to build through midfield easier. He also has the ability to play long balls into attackers.

A new centre back in January is a priority however bitton shouldn’t be dismissed as he is a good option, he put in a superb performance va Aberdeen last season at pittodrie , know he’s not the finished article defensively but he could definitely contribute to our overall play and fits Rodgers philosophy.

Bain over Gordon cause he can actually pass a ball

Thoughts?

littlekennie likes this.
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Don’t think you’d find many disagreeing with you that Bain should start over Gordon. However, Gordon, to his credit, prevented a more embarrassing scoreline yesterday.

Bitton is not a natural centre back and despite having been used there (likely having trained in that position too), he isn’t the answer. What Bitton offers in possession as a centre back, isn’t enough to replace what Boyata offers defensively. Ideally Bitton should be sold as he’s so clearly far down the pecking order, but his replies to trolls show that he’s happy to sit back and run down his contract. So he’ll linger in the background until that expires. We might see him this season and we might see him in defence, but he’s not the solution to not being able to play out from the back.

Hammy89 likes this.
  3. NorwichCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Rogic All time - Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    New centre back is needed but I’d personally have bitton ahead of ajer, Jozo or hendry

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’d have him ahead of Hendry, but not the other two, even though I’m not keen on Simunovic.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  5. Nicole

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Totally agree Bain should be in before Gordon. Didnt see why Bain was dropped after the game at the bigot dome the last time, hes not stepped once out of line and can deliver a ball weather its a pass out from the back or a long ball.
    But defo not bitton. Hes as big a donkey as most of them at CB and i would not be happy with him in there ... or in the team at all to be honest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Yeh but you could say those chances that Gordon saved were caused by his and boyatas lack of passing skill or comfortability on the ball

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

7. horseshoe

It's baffling how Bain doesn't start, he's not put a foot wrong when called upon and the whole defence looks more comfortable with him in, the whole gordon great shot stopper pish is just that, pish, any celtic keeper should be a good shot stopper, that's the job, and if it wasn't for his * distribution he wouldn't have to make half the saves he does.

As far as Bitton goes, he handled it better than anyone could have hoped for last season when he was called in to cover CB so I wouldn't worry if he did it again, but really he's not the solution and we should never be so threadbare at the back that we're even considering it again.

8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Is Calvin Miller any good in defence as he has been released from loan deal by their new manager.
    Not because he wasnt doing a job just that manager wants to bring in his own players not McCanns

9. Maestro 08

Some our finest centre backs in recent memory would struggle in a Rodgers team. I don't think our current ones are necessarily bad defenders, I think what they are being asked to do has shot them of confidence. We need Benkovic levels of player otherwise it will be never-ending stop gaps. I would say of our own lot Ajer has the best shot of cutting it.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    If people think Bitton is the answer at CB then I’ll have a pint of what they are on, we need two new CB’s and a RB yesterday.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Bain defo..

Bitton could work domestically as cover and should be ahead of Hendry and even Simunovic.. but two CBs are required one in this window and one in the summer..

With what we have just now I’d go..

Bain
    Ralston Ajer Benkovic KT
    McGregor
    Forrest Rogic Christie MJ
    Edouard

shaunm likes this.
  12. Mahe The Great

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras... Forever
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willey Maley
    I normally cringe at inside information but I honestly met Bitton on Byers Road and he was friendly enough to endure my pish! We chatted about European games and I asked him how he liked playing centre half, he sighed and said he hated playing so deep.

Take from that whatever, I'm not stating it as gospel, a shock or the likes just thought it was interesting.

I'd like to see him come in for the cup game in January as Ntcham needs to have a good look at himself.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yep, I wasn’t arguing for Boyata, he’s just an infinitely better option than Bitton. I don’t like Boyata and want an improvement.

littlekennie likes this.
  14. dmac

I don't think he is a defender started of as a winger would be better left side of midfield rather than defence seen him used there but he wanted to play like Tierney but not anywhere near that level

15. celtic warrior

IMO I see him as someone far more effective further up the park and taking on Sinclair/MJ for the LW role.

Bitton is not getting anywhere near this team and wouldn't be surprised if he was loaned out in Jan, Bain could do with starting more however.

Gordon was great over the weekend from keeping us from a total humiliation, but our overall gameplan is probably more rounded and playable with a GK who can kick the round thingy to another person.