1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Brendan did say after Moussa was sold that this was a great opportunity for him now. So we might be seeing more of him.

2. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Only 23, I thought McGregor was bang average at that age. Hope he takes his chance

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RC: We are delighted with the result at the weekend. We said that if we could win all three games leading up to the international break then that would put us right back on track and we would take real confidence from that."

RC: "We are delighted to get into the
    UEL
    and we have real aspirations to do well in that competition. We feel we are back to what we know we are as a team and hopefully we can kick on.

RC: "The loan to Aberdeen did me the world of good. I’ve came back stronger and more developed as a football player. I feel ready now to push as a regular for Celtic. It doesn’t really matter where on the park I play. The main aim is I play for Celtic week in, week out."

RC: "There’s a huge pressure at Celtic to win every week and there is that at Aberdeen too. It’s something in football you have to get used to, especially as an attacking player. To create and score goals. Hopefully that’s something I can bring back to Celtic."

RC: "I was 66.5 kg when I first joined and now I’m 73.5 kg so I’ve put on a few kilograms which is good. We get our fat tested every day and I’ve managed to keep that down. Good to see that gym work is paying off."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You thought McGregor was bang average last summer? Behave.

McGregor is absolutely miles ahead of Christie in every single aspect. He’s a Champions League level midfielder, Christie is SPFL.

Rydo1888* and JC Anton like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think he meant when he first turned 23, 2 years ago. It took a while for the penny to drop with McGregor for some reason.

6. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i cant even remember what he was good at with inverness

what good player does he remind you of ?

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Philistines...:nonono:

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    McGregor is 25 no? Meant before Rodgers arrived

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Said it since he broke into the team but anyone who didn’t see how good McGregor was doesn’t have a clue about football.

Absolute pler.

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Even then he was good in Ronnys last season and had flashes of brilliance, far from bang average.

Artorias and Tommy25 like this.
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Still not convinced on Christie. Think he has good energy and quality on the ball but what is his best position? Seems to be a 'jack of all trades but master of none' type player.

12. Aidan O’Shea

An attacking Charlie Mulgrew.

Tommy25 and JML67 like this.
  13. Eazey

Lots on here don't seem too keen on him, but there is a player in there for sure. Still seems a little eager when he plays.
    Hopefully he snaps out of that.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RYAN CHRISTIE has already made more appearances for Celtic this season than he did in the whole of the previous campaign, which was spent on loan at Aberdeen.

However, all five of his outings have come from the bench and, with his contract due to expire in May, the 23-year-old is aware that he needs to be starting games if he is to extend his stay with the champions.

Consequently, he was one of the few Celts who wasn’t disappointed by Moussa Dembele’s departure last weekend, believing that the striker’s record-breaking move to Lyon could be the break he has been waiting for.

With manager Brendan Rodgers intending to deploy the midfielder as a striker, Christie hopes to score the goals which will guarantee a new deal.

“I’ve been pushed right up front a couple of times during my career and I quite enjoy that because it means there’s less defensive work to do,” he admitted.

“The gaffer told me this summer that he could see me playing up there. I feel quite comfortable playing anywhere across the front line so I’ll be happy to do that.”

“It sounds a bit selfish but I’m hoping that Moussa leaving opens up an opportunity for me and it’s then up to me to take it.

I wasn’t exactly pushing him out of the door last week – he’s a big lad – but I wish him all the best.

A lot of people speak about the number of games we have to play and we’re delighted to be in the Europa League but that means another six midweek matches before Christmas.

“I’m sure the manager will be calling on everyone in the squad so then it will be down to what I do.”

“This season can help nail down my future at Celtic and breaking into the team is all I’ve been thinking about. I’d be delighted if I can stay at Celtic long term but first things first - I need to play more games.”

Christie has drawn succour from the significance of the matches he has been involved in.

Hopefully, that’s going to be the case. My aim, since I came back, has been to break into the team so “I’ll take a lot of belief from the last couple of games,” he said. “I came on at important times during the game against Rangers and the Europa League play-off against Suduva so I can take something from that.

Obviously, it shows that the manager has faith in me so now it’s up to me to prove my worth. I wasn’t too sure what would happen when I reported back for pre-season training but I was completely focused on getting back into the side.

“But the manager pulled me aside and told me that he believed I had a place in this squad and that was enough for me to give it a right go and fight for my place.

“It helped me that he thinks I’m good enough to play for Celtic. I believe that as well and, hopefully, the manager sees that.

“It was good to get my first taste of the Old Firm experience and I really enjoyed it although, at the end of the day, getting the win was the most important thing.

“The boys dominated the football throughout the 90 minutes and we deserved the three points. It’s given us the confidence to come back after the international break and really put the foot on the gas.”

Christie denied that he was guilty of diving in the incident which saw Rangers defender Connor Goldson, cautioned as a result, react angrily to him going to ground.

“He was right in my face, wasn’t he?” Christie grinned, “I haven’t watched it again but, from what I can remember, I’m pretty sure that he pulled my shirt.

I don’t know whether or not I would have got on the end of my first touch but I certainly didn’t think it was a dive.”

Christie became accustomed to starting regularly for first club Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Aberdeen and he confesses that being a substitute (and, often, not even that) has been difficult for him.

“It is; I was lucky enough to play most weeks at Aberdeen so it’s something I’ve had to adjust to,” he said.

“I kind of had that at the back of my head. At Celtic there are so many good players and such a talented squad that it’s so hard to play every week.

“That’s something you have to deal with. It makes me hungrier for when I do get on the pitch; I need to express how good I am.

“I learned a lot from Moussa. For a young guy, he’d such experience of the bigger occasions. In the Champions League, the Old Firm matches and anything at Hampden, he was always on his A game. That’s something that’s impressive for someone so young.

“A lot of young players struggle to find consistency but he was always bang on in the big games. Hopefully, I can do the same.

“It can only benefit us as a squad that players like Olivier Ntcham also does that. He was amazing at the weekend in midfield. That will only help us moving forward this season.”

Christie also insisted that the Celtic players’ post-match celebrations on Sunday were excessive or provocative.

To be honest, one of the main reasons we do it is to thanks the fans,” he said. “They are always amazing for us so any time we play at home we’ll always do a lap of honour at the end of the game and applaud their support for us.

“It was the Old Firm so everything goes up a notch. But once again we thanked them for turning out in the numbers they do.

“There’s so much adrenalin in you; you’re desperate to do well for the team and yourself. When I came on I just thought I’d run as much as I could, press as much as I could and do my bit for the team.”

Tommy25 and Liam Scales like this.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    When the day is dawning, on a Texas Sunday morning ........

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Looks like he has bulked up and tried to get involved. Needs a few games which I feel he might get if Griffiths is out any length of time

17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good technical ability, and has pace. Definitely good enough to stay with Celtic.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. Cmcgregor90

His lay ons and wee touches are excellent link up play similar to armstrong

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Thought he played well today when be came on and was really good at pressing Hibs back line. In the cameos he's had so far this season, he's been quite decent. Busy schedule coming up with Europe, the league cup and hopefully a final after that so we'll likely see him starting a few more games soon.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He could be useful

Tommy25 likes this.