1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Players That You Were Most Upset That Left Us?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by cidermaster, Sep 30, 2018.

Discuss Players That You Were Most Upset That Left Us? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The usual suspects such as Larsson, Naka, Wanyama, Dembele. Virgil hurt the most because I’d heard about it before it was announced.

Hooper, Big Jan, Ledley, Kayal.

2. Dylan1996 Gold Member Brigade Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Probably naka, was my favourite player growing up and I think it was his last game with us, waited outside for a picture and the stewards wouldny let anyone come close to him.

Think we lost the league that day, so I can understand why

3. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
  4. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Islam feruz

Liam Scales and Twisty like this.
  5. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    i remember being gutted when Samaras left. Felt like he deserved another contract and he clearly wanted to stay. Had a wee tear in my eye when he scored the penalty in his last game and the whole crowd were signing his name.

Murph-E likes this.
  6. celtic warrior

As I was in my teens and was gagging for everything Celtic the big two were obviously Larsson and Petrov.

Stupidly always had a soft spot for guys like Ross Wallace makes no sense at all really.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Obvious ones like Henke but the utter devastation when Chris Sutton left was gutting.

Another one, that happened twice, Shaun Maloney. First time because he was playing amazing, 2nd time was because that was now the Seville team completely behind us, he was the last remnant of that run and of MON’s Celtic, which is always the team I’ll picture when I think of Celtic, that’s my Celtic team and it was quite bittersweet when that hit me.

Just Kieran likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Henrik..

Been annoyed and * about other's going but I was utterly devastated and greeting when the king left..

I'm pretty sure plenty of us will never feel like that about a player again. I know I won't..

Marty McFly and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Obivously gutted when Larsson left, Sutton and Hartson, marked a bit of an end of an era for me (inc. Petrov, Bobo, Lubo). I remember being gutted at O’Neill leaving and Strachan taking over, only because i only really took an interest in football a couple of years before O’Neill took over. Strachan put together a really decent side and i ended being gutted when he left too.

Long story short:
    McDonald
    Vennegoor of Hesselink
    McGeady (although i think he was a wee bit overated)
    Wanyama
    Nakamura
    Samaras
    Evander Sno (dont know why, but i really liked him)

There’s more but i cant mind off the top of my head.

Liam Scales and cidermaster like this.
  10. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    You deserve 10 Pints on the house for that post!!:60:

11. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

In modern times we expect players to move on so it’s hard to be so disappointed.

Perhaps Petrov more than anyone else.

cidermaster likes this.
  12. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Henke
    PVH
    Stan
    Di canio
    Naka
    Big vic
    Vvd

Some people said hooper but i wasnt actually upset when he left as hed been acting the * for couple of seasons. Chatting * about playing for barca and angling for moves to the epl. He left under a cloud for me. Swapping one of the biggest clubs in europe and european football for epl mediocrity. He should be a poster boy for any player rash enough to think any move to the epl, no matter the club, is a good career move. Dont think ive ever seen one of our players * their own career so badly.

13. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Everyone covered really, didn't technically leave us, but I was gutted we didn't extend Bellamy's stay. One of the most electric players we have seen.

Top player.

14. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Dalglish leaving really upset me. Not just because he left, but because he went to the Red Sh*te. A double disappointment of epic proportions. I still haven't, nor will I ever forgive him.

15. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Henrik
    Stan
    Lubo
    Naka

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Aye Rich Jonny Doyle was a hard one. Day before my 7th birthday when he died and I remember it being so subdued around he house. Can actually remember the conversation between me and my da when he told me. I wouldn’t believe him for about a half hour and then cried. A Celtic man through and through and not long after he played out of his skin against Madrid at CP. Never the greatest footballer in the world but had that run through brick walls attitude. RIP.

cidermaster and Taz like this.
  17. cmc7

Henrik and Bellamy are up there. I was annoyed when we let Erik Sviatchenko go, as he is one of the most handsome men to ever grace Scottish football and a much better defender than folk gave him credit for.

Jordan MacGregor likes this.
  18. Pacific Ocean Blue

Larsson
    Hooper
    VVD
    Boruc

19. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not to take away from most of what you have said here, because in footballing terms and even as a personality and likewise, I was more disappointed to lose a couple of his teammates than I was in losing Hooper at the time, so in those terms, you are 100% right.

However, footballers have a limited career, and it is hard to begrudge anyone in any walk of life if they can go into a different place of work on the prospect of doing the same job but for much more money. If you were a bricklayer earning £20k p.a and some other company offered you £100k p.a to lay bricks for them, it wouldnt make much sense to stay at the place you are at. If the difference is negligible that is one thing, and perhasps can renegotiate with your existing boss, but when it is that much of a hike, if you have a wife and kids, and moving meant you could give thm all a better life, etc, of course you would.

The truth is, Hooper probably earned about the same, if not more, in his first season after he returned down south when Norwich was in the Premiership, than he did in the 3 years or so he was up here with us.

He is a journeyman player, but cant deny he has scored goals everywhere he has gone. Maybe not with the same regularity as he did at Celtic, but it really shows the player that he was and is, that he has scored in the EPL, Championship, League One, League Two, FA Cup, English League Cup, Football League Trophy and FA Trophy, the SPL, Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup, Europa League and Champions League. He is the only player to ever accomplish this feat, which illustrates that he is and was a goal scorer capable of scoring at any level, provided he has the service. My point being, Hooper may have well been better off in terms of making a lasting legacy by remaining at Celtic, but as a professional footballer and trying to provide for himself and his family and given his limitations, as he was never going to reach the absolute elite level, but as a professional journeyman, it's hard to begrudge him.

20. Bonobhoy

Since Henke left hes the only player i was gutted with,the rest since then i havent been bothered about.

Its all different nowadays,no loyalty anymore,and players just looking to make money and use us as a stepping stone.

Broony, when he goes will be the worst i will feel since Henrik.