1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

You're such a wee fanboy.

I know someone that was previously a big fan of McGregor, met him in Vegas and he was extremely disappointed....a rude,arrogant * who has let the money and fame go to his head in a big way.

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I love it :giggle1:
    If you’re a fan of McGregor you’re a “fanboy”, if you’re a fan of Jones you’re a “fanboy”.

“I know someone that was a big fan of McGregor”

Ok then that’s that settled then :rofl:

3. Al Bootyerbaws

To be fair to McGregor he spoke well last night about Porier and Diaz who’s he’s fought in the past. Wouldn’t surprise me if him and Kabib are all smiles and handshakes with each other after all this is done.

4. scootz

I think McGregor conducted himself like a *. That's WWE behaviour - not the behaviour I'd expect of an elite level fighter.

It's not even as if he's any good at the trash-talk either - he just sounds like a *. All these wannabe-Ali * are just embarrassing themselves. Not one of them has the intellect, humour, grace, wit or poetry of the great man, so they just end up sounding like twats. And I concede the fact that even Ali could be a boorish * sometimes.

But hey, if that sort of thing floats yer boat, then fair enough - it just does nothing for me... akin to * pantomime!

KRS-1888 likes this.
  5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I thought the whole thing was a bit of a cringefest with Khabib Just sitting there and no fans there.

Will say though I thought Khabib’s comment about the Irish speaking English was line of the night and it rattled McGregor a bit :giggle1:

One of the journos seemed to say to Conor that this was the only presser between the two as well.

6. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I used to think that but I feel McGregor the character has took over McGregor the person to some degree. Think the whole offering him alcohol then calling him a backwards * when he knew fine well he was Muslim, was a wee bit dodgy and out of line.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Behave yourself. Kind of patter that people come out with against comedians when they something controversial. People being offended for no reason.

9. Nasser

I used to dislike Conor and I thought he was hugely overrated. His fanboys used to annoy the * out of me, but I've become one in last few years :84: he cracks me up and how can you not respect what he's achieved.

He's always been a gobshite but he's likeable gobshite, he's never been humble and I don't think he's ever really claimed to be. This is a guy that came from nothing and put the UFC on the map, he was troublsome when he first started training and he's not changed, but that wildness also makes him exciting. I'd love him to win against Khabib but I just can't see it I think Khabib beats him easy it will be like the Barboza v Khabib fight.

10. ynwa1987

His trash talking used to be far better. Still a legend though

King of Kings likes this.
  11. ynwa1987

Khabib is quite backwards in a lot of his beliefs though. He was very critical of a rap artist playing in Dagestan. There was also a weird incident with a journalist where he refused a hug or asked her to cover up . I’m trying to find a link as my memory is hazy

12. Darnok

Except that McGregor is the far superior striker when compared with Barboza. Like most Muay Thai guys, Barboza moves forward well, but he struggles when pressured. McGregor's movement is phenomenal and is both lateral, and forward and backward. For the first two rounds anyway.

ynwa1987 likes this.
  13. ynwa1987

If you go back and watch the Barboza Khabib fight you can see him chasing barboza round the ring with his chin straight up in the air. Bad footwork and not cutting the cage off well.

Rewatching that fight made me more optimistic on CM winning. It’s possible Khabib may have adapted since then though

14. Darnok

Yeah, I think that is why McGregor and his camp are so confident. I saw an interview with Lobov where he said that Khabib punches with his eyes closed. I have no idea who will win, but if Khabib charges in and doesn't have an iron chin, it will end badly for him. I was looking forward to seeing him fight Ferguson as we haven't really seen him tested against someone with the tools to beat him. Conor will be a good barometer to see how good Khabib actually is.

15. celts67

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    MacEwan likes this.
  17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Degen likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

McGregor is a polarising character, futile arguing for or against him.

He is money though and his antics are the base of that, that makes him smart. Whether he’s a *, a good guy or something in between.

celts67 likes this.
  19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    In fairness to Paulie, his prime was over 10 years ago and he was an EXTREMELY tough fighter. You don’t go the distance with Miguel Cotto with a broken cheek bone without being extremely durable, even by high level fighters standards.

McGregor will stop Khabib early imo. A striker with good movement, natural timing and KO power is a nightmare for someone with Khabibs style, as good as he is on the ground.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There are a number of adjectives you could use to describe McGregor, ‘humble’ isn’t one of them.