1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Blame the board? Blame Brendan!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 14, 2018.

Discuss Blame the board? Blame Brendan! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I'm being sarcastic .
    I ain't worried about that lot at all.
    As for Europe...I'm used to it.

2. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Aye you're spot on about having someone in the defensive to organise it, apart from Brown we don't have any real leaders and someone who can say it how it is (and even Brown at times is too quite). Gordan for example can't even command his box, let alone 4 defenders in front of him. Something that big Boruc was always good at and even ended with him almost head butting lee naylor because of it. All our defenders seem like the quite type that just went to get on with their own game rather than worry about the defensive group as a whole.

Everyone just seems to be too nice to each other on the pitch so when it comes to a mistake they know the blame is on them but there is hardly any consequences for their mistakes apart from the fans getting on their back. Rodgers will continue to play his favourites and they will keep making the same errors if no one on the pitch is instructing them on how to fix it. When we see opposition goals that come from a poor defensive error the only response the defence have is having their hands on their hips and starring at each other like "it wasn't me". Need a centre back who is a leader and a decent enough defender and NOT JOHN TERRY! I keep harping on about Pontus Jansson but I genuinely think he would fit the bill.

3. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    We need a brutal centre back, just a mountain of a *, don't care if he can play silky football, first and foremost just defend like a beast where * fear him.

Foley1888 likes this.
  4. jamesfr

Time for the board to grow some balls and admit their wrongdoings over the events of the last week.
    ,"We did not want dictated to over the price of McGinn,a few hundred grand more and he could have been a Celtic player.
    We realise now that the club cannot afford to delay any potential transfer targets.
    We must identify targets,pay the going rate if it's not over the top and seal the deal quickly so as to avoid one of the hundreds of other clubs out there,coming in,paying the going rate and offering much more interesting terms to the player.
    We also understand that we cannot let players,identified as essential to the squad by the manager,contracts run into the final year and must not refuse their transfer requests just because we failed to bring in suitable replacements.
    We must invest in playing staff and aim to improve every position despite our recent successes.
    We must stop signing bang average players from the Scottish league."
    We will now correct those errors by supporting the manager in his quest to improve the team and bring European success to the club.
    Our humble apologies,
    The Board. "

5. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    McGinn wouldn't have done anything there last night backup midfielder he was cup tied anyway more the principal.
    But It's always a tall ask to go through 4 qualifiers so i don't think we have actually budgeted with that in mind, we do however need some signings in.

The board also have no alternative but to back Brendan now.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Also anytime he has been given any significant money to spend he has got it spot on , 4.5m on Ntcham,9m on Edouard and 4.5m on Sinclair all solid buys and we Stole Dembele.

Why cant we do that to centre of defense and push the boat out ? No you can have Hendry at 1m from Dundee , a 1m punt on a sick note in Compper and just make do with an over the hill right back in Lustig.

7. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For all the talk of missed signings and missing players like Ajer and Boyata, the two teams we fielded against AEK were capable of coming through the tie. The reason we didn't is simple: AEK know the basics of defending but we, after 2 and a bit years under BR, don't. People keep talking about new CB's but it's more than that, it's how the team as a unit defends because we simply have no awareness of players running off the ball. It's how AEK scored in Glasgow and also how they scored their first last night. How many times domestically and in Europe do we see a crowd of Celtic players stood watching as ONE member of the opposition drifts through the lot of them unopposed to score? For all the flak coming our way we were actually the better team over the 2 legs but until we stop gifting goals we'll always struggle to do anything meaningful in the CL or even the Europa.

8. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    BR wanted Hendry m8. Don't know about Compper but he certainly wanted Hendry.

9. M 67

Is it true Erik was punted because he wasn’t as good with the ball? If so, why keep Boyata, Gordon, etc.

It’s just bizarre that we let him go. I know he’s not great but I would’ve been more comfortable with him at the back last night, then punt him after qualification if need be.

Or is Rodgers, as others have suggested, just picking his favourites rather than who is more effective? If so, that’s very worrying.

10. kevza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People sing
    The blame lies in a number of places. Board, Brendan/tactics, Coaching and the players themselves. It just seems to have gone * up in all places at once.

Twisty and Xatraps like this.
  11. Foley1888

Spot on here I just made a similar point in another thread. You can add Rosenberg’s goal and hearts at the weekend too. People standing ball watching and not tracking runners. The defence still needs improved particularly right back as Lustigs attempt at stopping the cross in both legs has been pathetic.

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I blame the board, BR himself and I would also add the scouting system.
    I think the kind of defenders BR wants, for his system, are the type we can't really hope to sign due to cost. So we need to rely on the scouts to identify them before they make a name for themselves, that isn't happening so this needs to be looked at. In the meantime, imo, BR needs to adapt what he wants from a defender and be prepared to allow them to just defend and not expect/need/wish them to take the ball down and pick out a defence/midfield splitting pass. The board should also have had McGinn signed, although I don't know if he would have made a difference in these last few games.

Marie likes this.
  13. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

Blame no one we are always going to lose one of these tie's. AIK are about our level

14. JC88

Look at his quotes over Arzani - he didn't know anything about him, and basically said there and then that he's not in charge of who we sign.

15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Brendan doesn't know the strengths and weaknesses of his system. Or, he refuses to play the players suitable to it. Lustig at RB is a no-go. I've seen him under orders to go forward, and that's just a disaster waiting to happen. Gamboa had to play as RB last night. Of course the board are to blame as well- if Brendan has minimal input on signings, then we can't really go forward.

I'd like to know though- can he ask for a staff member to be hired? A defense coach. I understand Brendan might just not be clued up on defense. We need someone who is, helping him.

16. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fair point but arzani hasn't been signed.

In January, however, Rodgers was literally beaming and alluded to the board having fully delivered the players he wanted.

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We never paid 9 million for Eddy we had a 7 million but our clause for him.

I bet it was even less with add ons

18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yes all we want is a couple of good solid central defenders to give us a fighting chance in Europe. It’s been the teams weak point since Rodgers took over and it’s very poor he has done nothing to address the problem.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think people outwith him can sign people, he can also sign people. I don’t think it’s just him.

20. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    You sure about this Dev? If so who would that be? Surely not PL or Bankier?